AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a new Denon 3311 receiver coming. And thought that new speakers might be a good addition. "I've got the urge to splurge." But will new speakers really add to my system?

Room is 15x20x8.5, TV on front 20 foot section, left wall is full length brick fireplace, rear wall is lots of windows with curtains, right is mostly open to kitchen.

Fronts are BIC DV62si, Center BIC DV62clr, both with 6.5"woofers, sub is 12" Sony WM-40, (Rears are Radio Shack Indoor/Outdoor cheap 50w, 120-20,000 resp). Listening is mostly (80%) ATT Uverse TV and movies, with a bit (20%) of music

I was wondering if spending $1,000 or $1,500 on new speakers would just make me say "Wow, what have I been missing." But I'm starting to think there might not be much, if any, gain to be made by replacing my highly rated fronts and center. EDIT: The posts here have made me realize that replacing my fronts and center is first step. Ascend Sierra 1 suggested and looks appealing!

I'm thinking the surrounds might be a good first choice. For $80-$150 I could get a pair of BIC DV32, or Adatto DV52si , or BIC Accoustech HT-56. The HT-56 has similar 6.5" woofer to my fronts and center, and has sensitivity of 93 db. The BIC DV32 is smallest, with 3.5" woofer, the Addato DV52 has 5.25" woofer. (Because they are surrounds, WF means white preferred, and smaller is less obtrusive.) You thoughts on replacing my surrounds?

And the Sony 12" sub. I'm guessing that it could be replaced with noticeable improvement. Ed Frias, who does BIC speaker upgrades, like the JBL ES250. Or what about a HSU VTF2-Mk3 ($549) , Epik Legend ($499), would they make a significant upgrade? Above the JBL ES250?

Thanks for your thoughts on Fronts, Center, Surrounds and Sub.

EDIT: Talk moved to replacing the BIC front and center speakers. Really not a lot of room on sides of A/V cabinet for towers, so bookshelf speakers or satellites for front and center might be preferred. And moving mains (BIC DV62si) to rear surrounds might be too much, not a lot of room to mount those big guys on side walls/corners, and something smaller might get more wife approval.

·
Registered
241 Posts
For me, "Wow" factor in home theater are from the front 3 speakers and subwoofer(s). If I want "WOW", that's where I spend most of my money on. I would spend the least amount of money on receiver and surrounds. If I listen to music a lot, I would spend just enough on surrounds...if not, I go cheap.

If you want to know if it's worth the upgrade, go to a store that specializes in home theater and listen to what they have and compare it to yours. If you don't hear the difference, why bother to upgrade. If you can tell the difference, upgrade.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Well, this is my opinion, but If I were you I'd upgrade the surrounds and definitely get a new sub. I have never heard them myself, but a lot of people on here recommend the brands you mentioned; HSU and Epik.

·
Registered
1,451 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ride525 /forum/post/19528103

I have a new Denon 3311 receiver coming. And thought that new speakers might be a good addition. "I've got the urge to splurge." But will new speakers really add to my system?

Room is 15x20x8.5, TV on front 20 foot section, left wall is full length brick fireplace, rear wall is lots of windows with curtains, right is mostly open to kitchen.

Fronts are BIC DV62si, Center BIC DV62clr, both with 6.5"woofers, sub is 12" Sony WM-40, (Rears are Radio Shack Indoor/Outdoor cheap 50w, 120-20,000 resp).

I was wondering if spending $1,000 or $1,500 on new speakers would just make me say "Wow, what have I been missing." But I'm starting to think there might not be much, if any, gain to be made by replacing my highly rated fronts and center.

I'm thinking the surrounds might be a good first choice. For $80-$150 I could get a pair of BIC DV32, or Adatto DV52si , or BIC Accoustech HT-56. The HT-56 has similar 6.5" woofer to my fronts and center, and has sensitivity of 93 db. The BIC DV32 is smallest, with 3.5" woofer, the Addato DV52 has 5.25" woofer. (Because they are surrounds, WF means white preferred, and smaller is less obtrusive.) You thoughts on replacing my surrounds?

And the Sony 12" sub. I'm guessing that it could be replaced with noticeable improvement. Ed Frias, who does BIC speaker upgrades, like the JBL ES250. Or what about a HSU VTF2-Mk3 ($549) , Epik Legend ($499), would they make a significant upgrade? Above the JBL ES250?

Thanks for your thoughts on Fronts, Center, Surrounds and Sub.

IMO, upgrading the surrounds won't give you much (if any) wow factor but as mentioned above, the 3 fronts and SW will.

For your budget, I also think you will need to look at the used market to get what you are looking for. Only an example, but these Paradigms offered here would get you started. Keep the DV62s for rear speakers.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by sholling /forum/post/19528863

The front 3 and a new sub will make a big improvement but you may want to look at room treatments as well.

Lets say I spent up $800 on front three (or even $1000 on 5.0). My front three are already pretty highly regarded.

What could you get for $800 that would be noticeably better? And better in what way?

Thanks for your continued thoughts on this. I really appreciate it.

·
Registered
547 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ride525 /forum/post/19528941

Lets say I spent up $800 on front three (or even $1000 on 5.0). My front three are already pretty highly regarded.

What could you get for $800 that would be noticeably better? And better in what way?

I know that this is going to come across poorly, so sorry in advance but I'm just a direct person. So...what makes you think that a speaker that cost appx $50 is highly regarded?

Assuming that you have decent electronics and that your room is treated or the EQ in your Denon has helped balance it out. Are you asking if a $500 speaker is going to sound better than a $50 speaker? While I know that price isn't everything, the answer is YES. My opinion is that, everything else being equal, the differences would be profound. I know it's not your room but go out and listen to $100 a pair speakers and then listen to $1,000 a pair speakers. Then you tell us if the difference is Wow!!!

·
Registered
1,512 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ride525 /forum/post/19528941

Honestly It's going to depend on your taste. My assumption when you asked the question was that you weren't happy or you wouldn't have asked. IMO the only time to replace speakers is when you aren't happy with them anymore. If you're happy with your speakers then stay with them and put the money into a sub or two.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by htcritic /forum/post/19529156

I know that this is going to come across poorly, so sorry in advance but I'm just a direct person. So...what makes you think that a speaker that cost appx $50 is highly regarded?

Assuming that you have decent electronics and that your room is treated or the EQ in your Denon has helped balance it out. Are you asking if a $500 speaker is going to sound better than a $50 speaker? While I know that price isn't everything, the answer is YES. My opinion is that, everything else being equal, the differences would be profound. I know it's not your room but go out and listen to $100 a pair speakers and then listen to $1,000 a pair speakers. Then you tell us if the difference is Wow!!!

You pretty much hit the nail on the head about what I was looking for. (Although I thought my speakers cost a bit more, I see Amazon sells, the front three for $210 total.)

So, maybe spending $800 or so on front three might be a good place to start. Or $1000 on all 5.0. And that might bring the wow factor.

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
I have two WOW factors since I bought my front 3 from HTD.

1. Getting a better AVR to drive them. I went from a Sony STR-DG710 to a Yamaha RX-V765. Much better sound quality IMO.

2. Getting a better sub. I went from a 15 year old Velodyne (which was great) to a new Lava 12 sub which is even better.

I havent turned up my AVR past -25db since I added a XPA-3 but I am sure if did, I'd say WOW...

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Generally speaking the biggest wow factors in a home system are the front three and having a good quality sub that's properly sized to the space. Start by contacting Hsu Research and Epik and have them size a sub to your space. That will tell you how much money that you have left to work with and may be enough by itself to make you happy.

If you still want new speakers and have the room to give them to breath then a set of really good speakers like these VR3 s made me say wow when I bought them.
That was a $1650 set before they were discontinued and are really easy to drive. They just need room. Give them 18-24" behind them and at least 2 feet to the nearest side wall.

·
Registered
547 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ride525 /forum/post/19529295

You pretty much hit the nail on the head about what I was looking for. (Although I thought my speakers cost a bit more, I see Amazon sells, the front three for $210 total.)

So, maybe spending $800 or so on front three might be a good place to start. Or $1000 on all 5.0. And that might bring the wow factor.

If it was me, I'd move those mains to the back and look for a set of three speakers across the front with a budget of around $1,000 for just those three you can probably find some great speakers, especially if you go used on sites like Audiogon. Then I kick up that last $500 for any of those subs you named and you will certainly be saying "wow" IMO

Something like these: http://cgi.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/sear...seller&Ron1264

·
Registered
2,654 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by htcritic /forum/post/19529878

if it was me, i'd move those mains to the back and look for a set of three speakers across the front with a budget of around $1,000 for just those three you can probably find some great speakers, especially if you go used on sites like audiogon. Then i kick up that last $500 for any of those subs you named and you will certainly be saying "wow" imo

+1

·
Registered
84 Posts
I'm sure you will get a handful of options to replace your front 3 and a sub for $1500. If I was doing the same, I would give strong consideration to the CHT (Chase Home Theater) Pro-10 or Sho-10 for the front 3 and then the Epik Legend for the sub. I'd take a guess and say that would bring some Wow to the table.

·
Registered
78 Posts

Quote:

If it was me, I'd move those mains to the back and look for a set of three speakers across the front with a budget of around $1,000 for just those three you can probably find some great speakers, especially if you go used on sites like Audiogon. Then I kick up that last $500 for any of those subs you named and you will certainly be saying "wow" IMO

+1 too. Well written!

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

Quote:

A couple of things I should add, now that we are talking about replacing fronts and center.

1. Towers are probably out because of the cabinets TV is in take up most of the available wall space.

2. Moving the current mains to rear might be too much for wife, accepting the huge black bookshelf speakers in two side corners for room.

Thanks for all your great thoughts. Large bookshelfs ok for center and front. Something smaller preferable for rear surrounds.

Wow!

·
Registered
1,512 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ride525 /forum/post/19530585

A couple of things I should add, now that we are talking about replacing fronts and center.

1. Towers are probably out because of the cabinets TV is in take up most of the available wall space.

2. Moving the current mains to rear might be too much for wife, accepting the huge black bookshelf speakers in two side corners for room.

Thanks for all your great thoughts. Large bookshelfs ok for center and front. Something smaller preferable for rear surrounds.

Wow!

The best top drawer bookshelf deal that I'm aware of is a set of re-certified Ascend Sierra-1s which should be just within budget. Get those and a sub and wait on the surrounds if money is too short.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
No offense but the speakers you are using now are cheap speakers that are made for the casual listener. If you spends $1000 on the front 3 alone and $500 on the subwoofer, you will absolutely find something that will blow those cheap BIC speakers out of the water. I think the Ascend speakers are a good recommendation as those are highly regarded. I use Canton GLE speakers that I love and they would fall right in line with what you want to spend. Be careful though because if you are happy with the BIC speakers you may not want to head down this road... There is always something bigger and better out there and speakers cost lots of money. Let us know what you go with.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts