AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone heard if the 4k units are being delayed because of the lawsuit? They should be shipping now if not but no one has called to "confirm my order" nor has my card been billed.

·
Registered
5,119 Posts
Well they likely won't be shipping before the 26th (maybe 30th) and we probably won't know much more before then? Wait till you see all the threads when that first person gets a confirmation call! Ed did say they told him his 320's would be at least a few weeks later because of the supply of 160 gig drives.

I haven't heard anything about the lawsuits affecting it.

·
Registered
535 Posts
I don't see how the lawsuit would affect shipments. There is no restraining type order that I know of. And even if Sonic Blue does lose, they would just update your software accordingly.

·
Registered
849 Posts
The plaintiffs did ask for an injunction which would prevent Replay from shipping them. AFAIK that has not been decided upon yet so they may not be able to ship them until the court rules on the injunction request. Or maybe they are allowed to ship them but then would have to stop if the injunction is granted, in which case the few that get them will be really happy campers :)

·
Registered
5,119 Posts
Anyone remember the sequence with the Rio ? I still think the grounds here are far more tenuous but was the sale of a single Rio ever impeded during that period?

·
Registered
8,639 Posts
Can't imagine any court order forcing the company to change the firmware to disable the features at issue (file sharing, commercial skip).

Maybe change the units manufactured AFTER such an order but they can't force people to upgrade to the new firmware. And has there ever been product recalls because of a lawsuit like this rather than safety concerns in automobiles?

Like the Microsoft case, where there was talk about holding up the shipment of XP, once it goes out the door, the Pandora's box has let out its contents.

·
Registered
3 Posts
The Rio MP3 player didn't have a telephone connection through which the manufacturer could (perhaps at the behest of hostile lawyers) tamper with and destroy the functionality of the player.

I don't care if the 4000 unit can't send a file across the net, but I darn well care if it's prevented from sending a file to an internal LAN address (ie my PC on the same LAN with it). Until that's cleared up, my entire reason to be interested in the 4000 is at risk and I won't beg my relatives to try to get me one for Xmas.

·
Registered
5,119 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by dnyberg
The Rio MP3 player didn't have a telephone connection through which the manufacturer could (perhaps at the behest of hostile lawyers) tamper with and destroy the functionality of the player.
Oh the RIO did have "SDMI" and Ms Rosin and even billy are still trying to lock up the content from us (fat chance)... and how about those "defective" new CD's? All I meant was did those injunctions back then ever delay shipment of Rio? I don't think so?

Quote:
Originally posted by dnyberg
I don't care if the 4000 unit can't send a file across the net, but I darn well care if it's prevented from sending a file to an internal LAN address (ie my PC on the same LAN with it). Until that's cleared up, my entire reason to be interested in the 4000 is at risk and I won't beg my relatives to try to get me one for Xmas.
No one's questioned the legality of that so you are in luck no matter what happens. They won't turn off the LAN. Now your PC may require a little hack but I do believe toots will be looking at that as well as adapting RTVPatch for possible new disk and/or partition structure (may have to round up the old gang??) It's already designed for 2 disks so it shouldn't be too hard to place our adjusted "bookends" on that mpeg partition?

You should think of it this way -- Sonic Blue is not selling anything in there that they would be trying to stop us from getting (even the guide is free with box) so they don't have anything to gain in herculean efforts to lock us out. (losing "features" ? No they don't want that not even on the surface) And in fact this "freedom" and flexibility is breakout eye opening innovation (all this @ no additional recurring charge) So you can be sure they won't be working over time on ways to give any of it up. Also of course consumers will be on their side of the argument, it is more like the Rio (wink wink). BTW I think this is a better business model anyway - look @ Tivo trying to charge for some one else's guide data and this is so easy to circumvent they have not been able to lock that up @ all. D*TV even worse.

But Sonic Blue has the law on their side this time even if they have to give "lip service" to some "Marilyn Hall Patel" at some point. The best place to ferret out the truth is just in looking at everyone's motives and what they have to gain.

·
Registered
849 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by KenL

Oh the RIO did have "SDMI" and Ms Rosin and even billy are still trying to lock up the content from us (fat chance)...
No it didn't. The original Diamond RIO (which I own), the very first one, was before SDMI existed...

·
Registered
5,119 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by riker

No it didn't. The original Diamond RIO (which I own), the very first one, was before SDMI existed...
I guess that is what I was asking: what was the sequence back then with the injunction? At any rate SDMI proved to be irrelevant since there is no market for such content that I know of? SMDI is kind of a "wink wink" maybe? I suppose my NJB has SMDI but how would I ever know?

·
Registered
354 Posts
I called to verify that my web-order had been properly taken (you would think that they would send a confirming e-mail wouldn't you?) and was told that my order was there but that confirmation calls will begin "early next week" (that is, early in the week after Thanksgiving) and that shipping looks like it will commence on the 29th of November.

Even though the delay is only two weeks, it makes me wonder why the Replay folks were so annoyed when people initially questioned if they would be shipping on the date they initially indicated (November 15). It looks like they may have been a bit testy because they had doubts themselves. I'm just hoping that my ReplayTV gets shipped this year (I didn't place my order until one week ago so I'm very low on the pecking order)!

·
Registered
31 Posts
I just called SonicBlue (11/21) to check up on my order. The tech went through the confirmation with me. My 4080 will be shipped between the 26th and the 29th via blue label UPS. Now that I have my confirmation, I only have to impatiently wait a few more days for deliverly.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I decided to order a second 4080, so I ordered it over the phone with them this evening. They said it would ship with the initial shipment which should be on the 27th.

They said they still had quantities available for the first shipment of every model but the 320 hour units, which would ship most likely around the first week in January.

He mentioned that not only were the 320 hour units delayed because of the hard drive availability, but that apparently they were "blown away by the demand" for the top-end units.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by diamondlod
He mentioned that not only were the 320 hour units delayed because of the hard drive availability, but that apparently they were "blown away by the demand" for the top-end units.
With the pricing structure, I would guess that "blown away by the demand" means that they received orders for more than two 320 hour units. Realistically, how many people are going to plunk down $2000 for a 320 hour unit when they can get two 80 hour units for less? [Yes, two 80 hour units is half the recording time, but twice the number of tuners and twice the number of viewing locations.] I know it was probably silly but I personally ordered two 80 hour units (paid an additional $200 for an additional 40 GB on each unit, not a great bargain and thus the reason it was silly) so I can have a ReplayTV in my bedroom as well as in the front room and record two programs at the same time.

I truly hope that what you were told about shipping and availability is correct (because I don't want to be waiting until January to receive my units!).

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
 http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...threadid=93634

ReplayPatrick said:

"We will begin shipping RTV4040, RTV4080, and RTV4160 units at the end of this month (November). Unfortunately, due to hard drive availability issues, we will be unable to ship the RTV4320 until mid-to-late January 2002. We apologize for the inconvenience."

Joe

·
Registered
5,119 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by richierich
Realistically, how many people are going to plunk down $2000 for a 320 hour unit when they can get two 80 hour units for less...

I truly hope that what you were told about shipping and availability is correct (because I don't want to be waiting until January to receive my units!).
It's the "advance bleeding edge" who needn't trouble themselves greatly with price -- but in this case they may unfortunately have to wait longer to "bleed"? :D :D

And I also hope Alex is correct of about the availability of other units but I think once they charge our credit card it should (soon) be on its way?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.