AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been looking at this tv recently and I like a lot of things about it. My one concern is that it seems to be a 2002 model. Is there a replacement already available, or on the horizon for this tv?

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
anyone??

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Have you seen any guestimates on how the new version will be different? If it isn't changed that much, then I'm not too worried, but if it does some drastic stuff, then I may want to wait.

If it isn't too drastic, I'll buy the model that is out now and save the money when it becomes "Last years model" Although it is already dated as the 2002 model right? Has it been out for a year yet?

·
Registered
748 Posts
I would wait. I have the model you're looking at and I believe it has some issues. Once the new models are out I'm going to try and work out a deal with my retailer so I can upgrade (assuming the new models don't have the problem). Do a search for "hitachi" and "pastel" to find out more.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by ntode
Have you seen any guestimates on how the new version will be different? If it isn't changed that much, then I'm not too worried, but if it does some drastic stuff, then I may want to wait.

If it isn't too drastic, I'll buy the model that is out now and save the money when it becomes "Last years model" Although it is already dated as the 2002 model right? Has it been out for a year yet?
Most circuit city's have both the older 51swx20b and the newer F500 models side by side if you care to compare them. Also, there's been some discussions regarding the differences in the swx and F500 models that you could search for.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, I guess I'll give it till Around September. I am supposed to move then so I will just hold off long enough to have the TV delivered to my new home instead of my current one.

JulesH, the F500 replaces the UWX. I heard the F500 only has 4 lenses too instead of 5 like the swx. I could be wrong.

Regardless I want the added features of the swx. I don't need the sound, but I like the avnet, the second remote, and the look of the tv better. Also, I read somewhere that the lens assembly is slightly better...........and for the little bit in extra money this all seems worth it.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Mfusick
New SWX comes out in the fall...

I heard the price is going up...and a tuner is now included

Hmm, I don't like the price going up, and I'm not sure I want the tuner included. That takes away my ability to pick my own tuner.

What do you think am I wrong on this one?

Do you have any idea how much the price is giong to go up?

·
Banned
29,681 Posts
Quote:
Hmm, I don't like the price going up, and I'm not sure I want the tuner included. That takes away my ability to pick my own tuner.

What do you think am I wrong on this one?

Do you have any idea how much the price is giong to go up?
Congress has passed a law into effect pretty much requireing a digital tuner...

all 36" and larger sets next year...

all 32" larger sets year after...

13" and larger the following year...

All sets must have tuners.... congress says...

Hitachi is just preparing for it

And the tuner does costs money...so a slight price increase.

Sony plans the similar and so do the others...

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Mfusick
Congress has passed a law into effect pretty much requireing a digital tuner...

all 36" and larger sets next year...

all 32" larger sets year after...

13" and larger the following year...

All sets must have tuners.... congress says...

Hitachi is just preparing for it

And the tuner does costs money...so a slight price increase.

Sony plans the similar and so do the others...
Are integrated tuners usually pretty good? do they work with DirecTV (i don't have this now, but would like the functionality just in case)

Do you have any idea how much this will raise the price?

·
Registered
748 Posts
As long as sets still have DVI/Component/Firewire inputs on them, you'll be able to use an outboard tuner.

Edit: Mfusick, have there been any other specs released on the new SWX' yet? More than one DVI input would be nice.

·
Registered
150 Posts
ntode,

As far as I know integrated tuners do not work with DirecTV. There's usually at least a $600-800 dollar increase if you get the tuner, I'm talking suggested retail here.

John

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by JohnSt
ntode,

As far as I know integrated tuners do not work with DirecTV. There's usually at least a $600-800 dollar increase if you get the tuner, I'm talking suggested retail here.

John
That seems a little high, considering an external box can be purchased for 400 from any retailer all day long. I may just end up buying this years swx and saving my money.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Dammit!
As long as sets still have DVI/Component/Firewire inputs on them, you'll be able to use an outboard tuner.

Edit: Mfusick, have there been any other specs released on the new SWX' yet? More than one DVI input would be nice.
only problem is that if it is already built in and you buy another one, one of them is not being used, which means I spent money for nothing :)

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
I just had to go thru that when I had a problem with the 65 inch and had to decide whether to switch sizes to get the 65 size I preferred or go down in size to the 57 swx or xwx and keep the great analog and ability to have dual HD split screen pip, and I am aware that some of the Hitachi's have pastel problems, and other slight issue's, but so does every other brand have their own little issues. I can't imagine much changing on the SWX and XWX next year because they were scheduled for June release and hit in end of September and October in the end.

From what I have seen all the little pastel stuff goes away with good calibration and I am having that done very soon. I got my 57 only a week ago, and although still burning in and fine detail in some scenes still shows lack of breakin, overall I am extremely pleased and it does get better every day with usage. The smaller model will be that much more tight on fine detail because of the smaller screen. There will be some small refinements on the upcoming set, but it will most likely be Christmas and when the 2nd year in the series comes out, you are not going to get good discounts, if any at first because they will want to move the old models even more. When the SWX and XWX came out last year, pricing was fixed to only a very little discount allowed by all vendors until 120 days had passed, and apparently it is in dealer agreements because they passed on many sales at CC and Sears claiming their hands were tied to more then 5 of my friends. My point is, you are talking about waiting a year right now to get any type of deal on the new model and 6 months to see one, so if it were me, then I would just get the set now and move on with a big smile.

Good luck either way, and the information about the price setting was via knowing a store director for CC and getting that straight from him. Their computer would not even allow manual over ride even at that level.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Addicted,

If your comments are acurate (and I have no reason not to think so), I think I will be better off buying this years model in/around August or September. That is when I plan to make my purchase. I will probably be able to get a pretty good price with the new models coming out, and I will still get a great set.

Plus, if Mfusik is right, then the new set contains a tuner, which I don't want. I like the flexibilty of an external tuner.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Quote:
Well, I guess I'll give it till Around September. I am supposed to move then so I will just hold off long enough to have the TV delivered to my new home instead of my current one.

JulesH, the F500 replaces the UWX. I heard the F500 only has 4 lenses too instead of 5 like the swx. I could be wrong.

Regardless I want the added features of the swx. I don't need the sound, but I like the avnet, the second remote, and the look of the tv better. Also, I read somewhere that the lens assembly is slightly better...........and for the little bit in extra money this all seems worth it.
yes, I thought you may want to compare their newest model, the F500, to the SWX. I know it is not the replacement of the SWX, but its $500 less.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.