AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a medium sized living room and have been planning on getting the 65HX81 for a while (when it comes out of course). There will be a little over 11 feet from the front of the Screen to the couch. Does anybody know of any guidlines on what is to big for certain living rooms? I really want a 65 inch but I want to be able to enjoy it. Opinions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance,

Chris

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
I have the Toshiba TW65X81 which is the 2000 model. I sit 9' from the TV. and it is great. My son sometimes pulls up the couch to sit 6' for a good movie. Get the 65", I have never heard anybody on this forum ever say they wish they had a smaller TV.

Welcome to the world of HDTV.

Rick

·
Registered
572 Posts
I used to own the '99 model TW65H80. The house I was in then had a large living room so it didn't take over the room too much. When I moved into a smaller house, sitting about 11' away, the thing just dominates the entire room. I sold it and will be buying the new 57" Toshiba. Till then a 34" 16:9 direct view sits in its place looking pretty small.

Of course none of this applies if you're not married/ living with a SO!

·
Registered
572 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Will:
Is it easy to sell a 2 year old big (and heavy) RPTV?
For sale was quite easy. A friend who had been over to watch HD sporting events and movies was thrilled to buy it. It took him that long to convince his wife and came with the condition that I move it - never again!

·
Registered
497 Posts
I have a 65' Toshiba and I sit approximately 11 feet away. The HD programming shows objects that are the right "size" for me at this distance, but since I watch all SD material in some form of zoom (Theatrewide) etc., the objects are just too big. Friends come over and watch from 15 to 20 feet back and say they feel more comfortable. If I were to do it over again I would go with a 55" or 57". The other thing about blowing up the SD material is that the poor picture quality just gets worse. DVDs are fine. If all programming were HD I might go for the 65" again.

Al Keown

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Quote:
I sit approximately 11 feet away. The HD programming shows objects that are the right "size" for me at this distance, but since I watch all SD material in some form of zoom (Theatrewide) etc., the objects are just too big.
How is the 11 feet measured? Is it the distance from

plastic screen to eyes?

·
Registered
143 Posts
I have a 61" and wish I'd gone for the 65" instead, since I mostly watch DVDs and HDTV. But "normal" ntsc tv looks so bad on the 61" that I can't stand to watch it anymore on that set. Not even Star Trek, sigh.

So with your viewing distance and a 65" you'll only want to watch 1080i, upconverted 480i/480p, or subscribe to netflix and watch DVDs every night :> )

Don

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.