AVS Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I have seen most laptops with a 7 pin S-video connector which supposedly also carries a component output with the right cable. What I was wondering was if this component output through the 7 pin S-video connector was capable of outputting 1080p. As I am aware, component is able to handle 1080p with cable distances of 1m or less. Has anyone tried this? Just to clarify, this is not an S-video signal but a component signal.

·
Registered
16,749 Posts
If you have a system with a 7-9 pin din connector which looks just like a S-Video connector then check the documentation for your system or graphics card to see if it will support a dongle that supports YPrPb component(HDTV) output. low priced Component cables should certainly support 1080p for at least 2 meters if not 3.

·
Registered
925 Posts
Not very likely.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by daredevil23 /forum/post/12913455

Not very likely.

Is there a reason it wouldn't work? I am also trying to include this in my decision on a new laptop. If this is possible, then I will not care too much for my new laptop to have HDMI or DVI. I am looking for an ultraportable and one with HDMI or DVI is nearly non-existent. But most laptops have the 7 pin S-Video output.

·
Registered
16,749 Posts
Just because there are 7 pins in the connector does not mean that they are all connected internnally since S-Video only uses 4 of the 7 pins. So if the laptop specifications do not state that it also supports HDTV-Out(component) with a dongle in addition to TV-out(S-video) then it probably does not

·
Registered
31 Posts
If it does support 1080p out via component, make sure your tv/monitor/projector will support 1080p in via component. Most will not.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah I have checked and the TV will support 1080p in through component. Just trying to figure out if all laptops or most laptops will output 1080p through the s-video component jack.

·
Registered
16,749 Posts
I have a one year old HP laptop and a brand new HP laptop and neither of them support component through their 7-pin din S-Video connector. And when I look inside the connector I can see that only 3 of the pins are actually used by the laptop.

My Desktop has a 9- pin din connector and supports a dongle which in turn supports either component cables or a S-video cable.

Using Google I did find that there is a S-Video to component cable adapter, however, it appeared that is only for use a certain model of projector which accepts S-Video signals sent over componnent cables instead of over a S-video cable.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Does your TV have a 15 pin VGA input or DVI input? If so why not use that?

(Just make sure the laptop has DVI out if you go that route.)

Trying to get a laptop to do component output is just asking for trouble IMO.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No the TV does not have the 15pin VGA input, it does have HDMI though. The reason I am trying to go the component route is because I plan on buying an ultraportable laptop and those laptops usually never has a DVI or HDMI output port. These laptops are made to be very very thin and small and do not include such ports. I am just trying to see if the component route is possible.

·
Registered
237 Posts
It probably depends on the laptop, I don't know if it can be said that all laptops with a 7 pin s-video port can do what you want. My work Dell Precision laptop (must be one of the heaviest laptops made, certainly not ultra-portable) did come with an adapter that plugs into the 7 pin s-video port and gives component RCA plugs plus an spdif RCA plug. However I haven't tried to see if it will output 1080p yet.

·
Registered
616 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny13oi /forum/post/12911003

Hey guys, I have seen most laptops with a 7 pin S-video connector which supposedly also carries a component output with the right cable. What I was wondering was if this component output through the 7 pin S-video connector was capable of outputting 1080p. As I am aware, component is able to handle 1080p with cable distances of 1m or less. Has anyone tried this? Just to clarify, this is not an S-video signal but a component signal.

If the 7 pin mini-DIN does support component that doesn't actually mean it can do 1080p. Most PC graphics cards can only do 480i/p, 576i/p, 720p and 1080i.

They can't AFAIK support 1080p over component. But they should be able to over VGA and DVI.

·
Registered
211 Posts
For the 7 pin din connector to support 1080p will depend on the tv-encoder that is either built into the graphics core or coupled to it. Most graphic solutions in laptops do not support all of the standards that the chip can work with. What that means is even though the chip in the laptop can do component output @ 1080p it has to be enabled and wired for that function.

So unless it specificaly says component output and 1080p it will not work. It is not a hidden feature that a driver will enable. It HAS to be designed in from the laptop manufacturer since the traces have to be on the circuit board and the connector.

To top that off I have not even seen a desktop graphics card that does 1080p over component since the encoder in the chip has to support YPbPr at 1080p. Since 1080p is not a "TV" standard that is broadcast most tv encoders do not support it.

They can easily do it over dvi/hdmi since that is a digital connection and doesn't need to be sent through a tv encoder to make a properly formated signal, it just shoots it over to the display and lets the display handle any processing if needed.

By the way the people over at notebook review say that there is a dell that will do 1080p on hdmi that look to be one of their smaller models.

here is a link:

http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=183280

Hdmi is not that big of a connector so I'd search for that as a option since it is much more likely to get you 1080p on a small laptop than finding a 7-pin din connector that will do it on component.

Good Luck

·
Registered
65 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by undermined /forum/post/12940925

For the 7 pin din connector to support 1080p will depend on the tv-encoder that is either built into the graphics core or coupled to it. Most graphic solutions in laptops do not support all of the standards that the chip can work with. What that means is even though the chip in the laptop can do component output @ 1080p it has to be enabled and wired for that function.

So unless it specificaly says component output and 1080p it will not work. It is not a hidden feature that a driver will enable. It HAS to be designed in from the laptop manufacturer since the traces have to be on the circuit board and the connector.

To top that off I have not even seen a desktop graphics card that does 1080p over component since the encoder in the chip has to support YPbPr at 1080p. Since 1080p is not a "TV" standard that is broadcast most tv encoders do not support it.

They can easily do it over dvi/hdmi since that is a digital connection and doesn't need to be sent through a tv encoder to make a properly formated signal, it just shoots it over to the display and lets the display handle any processing if needed.

By the way the people over at notebook review say that there is a dell that will do 1080p on hdmi that look to be one of their smaller models.

here is a link:

http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=183280

Hdmi is not that big of a connector so I'd search for that as a option since it is much more likely to get you 1080p on a small laptop than finding a 7-pin din connector that will do it on component.

Good Luck

Will the video card of an ultraportable be able to handle 1080p in the first place?

Did you try to find a USB video card that can solve your problem (I never checked if something like this exist, if not then it should)?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by aviadl /forum/post/12942404

Will the video card of an ultraportable be able to handle 1080p in the first place?

Did you try to find a USB video card that can solve your problem (I never checked if something like this exist, if not then it should)?

I don't think a video has to be that powerful at all to be able to handle 1080p, unless it is rendering images for games. I have an integrated graphics chipset in one of my ultraportables that is a few years old able to put out 1600x1200 through VGA out. The thing that is the bottleneck for 1080p is the CPU. Those videos take a lot of CPU power to decode especially for H264 encoded videos. I am aware of the Dell M1330 but am trying to find a thinner and lighter solution. Thanks for all your inputs.

And I tried looking for a USB video card, and it appears that there is nothing out there that will support 1080p resolution through the USB port.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts