AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
2,406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have a 3870 which only outputs 2.0 pcm to my amp. I have all the current drivers from ATI and Realtek. If I play any PC game I only get stero pcm to my Yamaha amp. For movies I can get 5.1 if I use SPDIF passthough.

Will the 4870 allow me to play my PC games in 5.1 sound through the HDMI port to my receiver? Is there anyone here who is playing there PC games in 5.1 sound using the HDMI out to their receiver?

I know some cards support DD live or DTS connect, but I don't think the ATI 4870 supports these formats. I hoping I can get 5.1 or 7.1 pcm working for my PC games. My receiver does support upto 7.1 LPCM signals.

·
Registered
160 Posts
In a word: Yes.

Better than DDL or other such crap.

My 4850 sends perfect 96KHz 7.1 (8 channels) PCM waveforms to my Pioneer Elite receiver for the many hours I waste on Fallout 3 and Team Fortress 2.

·
Registered
3,801 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cetrian /forum/post/15566906

In a word: Yes.

Better than DDL or other such crap.

My 4850 sends perfect 96KHz 7.1 (8 channels) PCM waveforms to my Pioneer Elite receiver for the many hours I waste on Fallout 3 and Team Fortress 2.

Cool! That's good to know!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Could you please write what version of drivers you are using, especially you with XP ? I got my HD4350 working for a couple of hours, but then something happenned and i just cant seem to be able to get any sound of it anymore.

I guess that hd4870 has the same kind of audio chip as the hd4350...

·
Banned
2,406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Is there any games that don't work in surround PCM? I wonder why my 3870 is only able to pass 2 channel PCM only?

·
Registered
115 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by conan48 /forum/post/15568219

Is there any games that don't work in surround PCM? I wonder why my 3870 is only able to pass 2 channel PCM only?

because hardware only supports 2 channel PCM

·
Registered
41 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sl2wm /forum/post/15567650

Could you please write what version of drivers you are using, especially you with XP ? I got my HD4350 working for a couple of hours, but then something happenned and i just cant seem to be able to get any sound of it anymore.

I guess that hd4870 has the same kind of audio chip as the hd4350...

For XP you have to install a separate ATI HDMI driver.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts