AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
2,406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have an HTPC using a ATI 5450. I am purchasing a Sony 3D projector and an Onkyo 3D receiver.

Will the ATI be able to ouput full 1080p 3D frame packed side by side content or do I need to upgrade to the Nvidia Geforce 430? I have both TMT5 and Power DVD 10.

thanks.

·
Registered
11 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by conan48 /forum/post/19556178

I currently have an HTPC using a ATI 5450. I am purchasing a Sony 3D projector and an Onkyo 3D receiver.

Will the ATI be able to ouput full 1080p 3D frame packed side by side content or do I need to upgrade to the Nvidia Geforce 430? I have both TMT5 and Power DVD 10.

thanks.

It's possible to play 3D bluray with ATI 5000 series card. What source do you have in mind for full 1080p 3D frame packed side by side? check out this thread

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...1283205&page=2

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have an ATI 4850 with a 3D Samsung Plasma and a Denon 3D receiver, and it is able to handle any 3D content I feed it. Most of my 3D content is in Half sbs which obviously isn't FULL 1080P but works great for my use with XBMC. I've used Power DVD 10 to play full 1080P iso's and they work flawlessly so I would assume the ATI 5450 would be more than adequate.

·
Premium Member
16,132 Posts

HD 5xxx does not support Frame packing (Update: this is wrong, all HD 5xxx support Frame packing). GeForce 430 (the best choice right now) does, as well as many other latest GeForce cards and the upcoming HD 6xxx (HD 68xx is available now but overkill for video playback).

Side-by-Side (Half) and Top-and-Bottom (the resolution is halved) are basically HDMI 1.3, hence supported by older graphics cards and receivers.

·
Banned
2,406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
I have an ATI 4850 with a 3D Samsung Plasma and a Denon 3D receiver, and it is able to handle any 3D content I feed it. Most of my 3D content is in Half sbs which obviously isn't FULL 1080P but works great for my use with XBMC. I've used Power DVD 10 to play full 1080P iso's and they work flawlessly so I would assume the ATI 5450 would be more than adequate.

So when you hit info on the samsung remote it lists the signal as 3D 1080p 24hz? that would be great.

I bought an HDMI 1.4 receiver, so Im hoping Im good. I think it's the receiver that won't pass the full Side by Side and not the video card.

·
Premium Member
16,132 Posts
I guess it's either Checkerboard, Side-by-Side (Half) or Top-and-Bottom (all half resolutioned).

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just installed latest ATI catalyst drivers and with power dvd 11 trial, i can do 3D without any issues on my dell zino hd 410.

finally it worked and reason to upgrade to power dvd 11

hope this makes many ppl happy

My Setup:

HTPC - Dell zino hd 410 - 6 GB ram - ATI Radeon HD 5450

TV - Samsung UN46C7000WF with samsung 3d Glasses

Software - Power DVD 11 ultra trial

Blu-ray 3d: Shrek 3D

·
Premium Member
16,132 Posts
Yeah, my post was wrong. Later I found every HD 5xxx supports HDMI 1.4a 3D (Frame packing). HD 5450/5570/5670 still lacks hardware MVC decode acceleration (any decent dual-core processor should be able to decode MVC). HD 5750 or higher supports it. A summary is in this table .

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.