AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd like to know if my STB will need a DVI output or a Firewire output to record HDTV programs -- or will it work with either one? Thank you.

·
Registered
772 Posts
DVI is a display only interface. It was designed to be non-recordable. Some future Blu-Ray recorder may have a DVI display output, but will never have a DVI input for recording.

Firewire only for recording.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by RSawdey
DVI is a display only interface. It was designed to be non-recordable. Some future Blu-Ray recorder may have a DVI display output, but will never have a DVI input for recording.

If DVI is a display only interface what is the purpose of putting HDCP on it? Display devices cannot record.

Ken

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by RSawdey
Thank you for this info. My last question is: once the HD program has been recorded from the STB (thru Firewire), how does it get sent to the TV for playback: thru Firewire also (assuming the TV has a Firewire input and the recorder has a Firewire output)? or thru component (with a slight degradation in PQ)?

Since the Blu-Ray is not out yet, I am thinking of the JVC HM-DH30000 HDTV Recorder, for example: how should the recorded program be sent to the TV for playback?

Thank you.

·
Registered
800 Posts
The 30000U has HD component output, and most people are using that for display.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by rrg
The 30000U has HD component output, and most people are using that for display.
So there is a slight degradation in PQ that takes place during the digital-analog-digital conversion (inherent in any transmission over component). Am I correct? In other words, what is played back on the TV set won't be as sharp as what is recorded on the 30000? What will be needed to prevent this degradation and are they working on this issue?

·
Registered
399 Posts
I think the 30000U has a Firewire output also, which should give you a near perfect output. You can use a Samsung T165 to convert Firewire to DVI if your display only has DVI.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If and when my cable STB is equipped with a DVI output (but no Firewire), can I convert this output to Firewire? (so I can connect the JVC 30K). Thank you.

·
Premium Member
729 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Maurice2
If and when my cable STB is equipped with a DVI output (but no Firewire), can I convert this output to Firewire? (so I can connect the JVC 30K). Thank you.
Nope. Unless you have access to some broadcast equipment that will do real time HD MPG2 encoding into a transport stream.

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Baronken
If DVI is a display only interface what is the purpose of putting HDCP on it? Display devices cannot record.
That's the point: only displays will have a DVI/HDCP input.

Any recorder hacked with a DVI input won't be able to receive a DVI/HDCP stream.

At the moment, it's pure paranoia, but in a few years, MPEG2 encoders will be cheaper, which might allow to record non HDCP DVI.

·
Premium Member
11,869 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Maurice2
That would be great. Have any idea when that could happen?
It is reported to be happing soon. The key about the cable agreement is that I am told by a source that the satellite companies will this agreement too as to stay competitive. We shall see.

·
Registered
22 Posts
PLEASE lets hope that satellite will follow on this. Their refusal thus far means no recording for any HD material from satellite ! Yes, tivo will help, but a longer term storage will be nice.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.