AVS Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking of pulling the pin on Dune Smart H1 or Duo, I'm over flighting my HTPC's playback gremlins.

Will I be able to play a BR disk from my HTPC's BR drive from the Dune?

Does the Dune see the BR drive in my HTPC as a BR drive?

Thanks, new at all this streamer bizzo.

·
Registered
22,303 Posts
Short answer: Yes.

You need to "share" the BD drive in your PC, then you can map a favorites folder on the Dune to that drive. Same process as sharing a HDD on the PC.

·
Banned
930 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes  /t/1415514/will-the-dune-play-a-blu-ray-disc-from-a-htpc#post_22129228

Short answer: Yes.

You need to "share" the BD drive in your PC, then you can map a favorites folder on the Dune to that drive. Same process as sharing a HDD on the PC.
How did you even understand what he is saying??!! "pulling the pin"

·
Registered
627 Posts
for smooth blu-ray playback from htpc you will need:

option 1

1-dune >ethernet router

2-htpc > ehternet router

3-hanewin for windows (to make windows a host server)

4-Dune need to support NFS (to be client)

5-- will work from internal hard drives

6- will NOT work from external hard drive connect to htpc

for streaming blu-ray 1:1 uncompressed best quality , AVOID workgroups, dlna, samba, ics etc etc

option 2

1- htpc with 2 ethernet ports

2- get a crossover cable

3- configurate accordingly.

otpion 3

1-install ubuntu in htpc linux its native NFS

ps: i don't have a dune but i try with other media players

option 4

(I CHOOSE THIS OPTION and is hassle free transfers speed over 100MB/S IT SERVES MY HTPC AND MICCA.

1- get a DAS , I recommend a liain-li ex- 503 (5 discs with esata multiplier port and usb 3.0)

option 5

1- get a NAS

2- bulid a unraid

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by streamerlover  /t/1415514/will-the-dune-play-a-blu-ray-disc-from-a-htpc/0_100#post_22129384

How did you even understand what he is saying??!! "pulling the pin"

I guess it's a bit obscure but it's a reference to pulling the pin on a grenade before you throw it.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
rdgrimes thanks, that's hopefully it.

Cantomn160, thanks for the detailed reply which, to be honest blew my tiny little non-networking capable mind.

I'm actually trying to move to a Dune to simplify my life and get away from the hassles of HTPC playback.

·
Registered
627 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Albert  /t/1415514/will-the-dune-play-a-blu-ray-disc-from-a-htpc#post_22130467

Cantomn160, thanks for the detailed reply which, to be honest blew my tiny little non-networking capable mind.

I'm actually trying to move to a Dune to simplify my life and get away from the hassles of HTPC playback.

advice you in getting a micca EP600 g2 or EP950 its perfect for blu-ray 2D and 3D and cheaper than a dune.

i have a ep950 and i like so much, that order a ep600 g2 today

check on amazon and adorama.com

regards

canton

·
Registered
22,303 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Albert  /t/1415514/will-the-dune-play-a-blu-ray-disc-from-a-htpc#post_22130467

Works for me. I'd even say that with a Dune, the need for a HTPC dwindles considerably. Add a streaming box and the need pretty much vanishes.

·
Registered
2,942 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes  /t/1415514/will-the-dune-play-a-blu-ray-disc-from-a-htpc#post_22130648

Works for me. I'd even say that with a Dune, the need for a HTPC dwindles considerably. Add a streaming box and the need pretty much vanishes.

Some people use their htpc as a web browser/DVR/Security cam viewer/home automation center box/NAS box as well as just a video media streamer.

The photo viewing ability on the Dune is lame and the audio, while good, is lacking as well. An HTPC can play native DSD and MLP files while the Dune cannot. Like you said, the HTPC can play all kinds of internet stored content easier than the Dune as well and let's not forget about blu-ray 3d content. There are many reasons to still consider HTPC for people...

With that said, I do own 2 Dune players myself.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I definitely will keep the htpc for content acquisition etc and hook it up to the Dune so the Dune does the actual playing.

·
Registered
7,231 Posts
I believe in order for you to play BD movies from your BD ROM you will need a program that disables the encryption within the disk. You can download the virtual clone drive from slysoft website, and mount the movie and play like that, but you will need the HTPC to remain on at all times. Why not just rip all your movies and play them like that.

Or you can install a BD ROM in the H1
. Or you can buy this external BD ROM that will work with your H1 to play BD disk:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/DUNE-HD-MEDIA-PLAYER-READ-ONLY-CD-DVD-BD-BLUE-RAY-DRIVE-NEW-/290634368873?pt=PCC_Drives_Storage_Internal&hash=item43ab288769#ht_2183wt_1396

·
Registered
627 Posts
if i was going to build a htpc , i would chose this case:

silverstone GD07 it holds up to 7 hard drives, two of them hot swap, and its the size of a normal av receiver, little expendise tough, but cheaper than any NAS, DAS, or UNRAID.

good luck

canton

1 - 12 of 12 Posts