AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5,001 Posts
Maybe a small one. I think Mr. Novak might be under a bit of stress with potentially causing the political assassination of Karl Rove, and as we have seen, the Administration seems to be in a forgiving mood when it comes to lapses by their faithful...

·
Registered
365 Posts
CNN, being a cable channel and not an OTA broadcast channel, is not restricted for airing this type of language.

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdsnls
CNN, being a cable channel and not an OTA broadcast channel, is not restricted for airing this type of language.
Yes. Plus I think Novak needs to be cut some slack. He's been a political pundent for CNN for many years. I believe he debuted as "the guy on the right" on CNN's Crossfire which is almost as old as CNN itself. And even as the political debate on CNN sunk to new depths in personal attacks, etc. Novak has always continued to conduct himself as a gentleman, and stayed above that fray. Frankly, I'm surprised he's put up with it this long.

I watched CNN's Crossfire for close to twenty years. But I quit watching it a few years ago due to the un-civil direction that the hosts took (Novak was only a pinch-hitter by this time). No longer was the show a civil debate on current issues between two viewpoints, but instead just a mud-slinging fest and who could be nastier in their insults to one another.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rutgar
I watched CNN's Crossfire for close to twenty years. But I quit watching it a few years ago due to the un-civil direction that the hosts took (Novak was only a pinch-hitter by this time). No longer was the show a civil debate on current issues between two viewpoints, but instead just a mud-slinging fest and who could be nastier in their insults to one another.
I remember when Turner's CNN was a great show on cableTV. Well we all got fair warning when the corporations bought up all the news and said it was going to be "entertainment" from now on.

I feel sorry for any little kids that suck this stuff up 24/7 these days. They even get Cable in the Classroom shoved down their throats.

I keep it in perspective as one of the big news hosts was the local helicopter traffic girl back when. I laugh every time I see her spewing the party line.

·
Registered
3,667 Posts
I still remember the infamous SNL line from the parody of Point-Counterpoint,

"Jane, you ignorant sl*t."

If just about come that far.

·
Registered
3,993 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rutgar
I believe he(Bob Novak) debuted as "the guy on the right" on CNN's Crossfire which is almost as old as CNN itself.
I think that it was Pat Buchanan who debuted as the guy on the right, along with Tom Brayden, who's autobiography was the inspiration for the TV Show "Eight is Enough", on the left, and then Novak replaced Brayden, possibly when Buchanan ran for President.

Novak and Brayden did not get along well on the air and were overtly contemptious of one another.

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntAltMike
I think that it was Pat Buchanan who debuted as the guy on the right, along with Tom Brayden, who's autobiography was the inspiration for the TV Show "Eight is Enough", on the left, and then Novak replaced Brayden, possibly when Buchanan ran for President.

Novak and Brayden did not get along well on the air and were overtly contemptious of one another.
Yes, you're correct. Buchanan was the original host along with Brayden. Thanks, for the life of me I couldn't remember Tom Brayden's name. I think Novak has pinched hit in the right seat, since the shows incept though. But getting back to my point, even Buchanan and Brayden always kept it civil, as well as Novak and Kinsley (who replaced Brayden). It wasn't until we got this post 2000 crowd, that everything went into the dumpster.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.