AVS Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,


I've been using these forums to research a good build for an HTPC for quite a while now and the one thing I haven't really gotten a grasp on is the HTPCs ability to play Dolby TRU HD.


Will the G45 motherboard support HDMI sound about the same as the sound card alternatives? I'm trying to decide if I should wait for the motherboard or build the HTPC and then wait for the sound card.


Thanks!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,038 Posts
I would bet against the G45 having bitstreaming; the Auzentech supposedly will.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,038 Posts
PAVP means it should be able to pass >16bit,48kHz LPCM audio undownrezzed if the software allows.


Bitstream is yet another add-on which is not guaranteed by either PAVP or HDMI 1.3, contrary to popular belief. They are both necessary, but not sufficient, to guarantee that functionality.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,032 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by archibael /forum/post/14286599


PAVP means it should be able to pass >16bit,48kHz LPCM audio undownrezzed if the software allows.


Bitstream is yet another add-on which is not guaranteed by either PAVP or HDMI 1.3, contrary to popular belief. They are both necessary, but not sufficient, to guarantee that functionality.

I have been desperate for Bitstreaming for quite some time but in reality LPCM over HDMI would suit me fine, as long as PAP is properly implemented and downsampling removed.


The trouble is over the last 18months we have been misled about downsampling and I think I am not alone in distrusting Cyberlink, Bitstream is the only way to be sure...


Assuming (probably erroneously
) that both Cyberlink & Arcsoft's proprietry implementations of PAP will work on either platform (Auzentech/Asus) I am not yet sure which I favour... nice to anticipate having a choice for once



Adam
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,668 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelEyes /forum/post/14287691


The trouble is over the last 18months we have been misled about downsampling and I think I am not alone in distrusting Cyberlink, Bitstream is the only way to be sure...

What about your ears?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,744 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelEyes /forum/post/14287691


I have been desperate for Bitstreaming for quite some time but in reality LPCM over HDMI would suit me fine, as long as PAP is properly implemented and downsampling removed.


The trouble is over the last 18months we have been misled about downsampling and I think I am not alone in distrusting Cyberlink, Bitstream is the only way to be sure...


Assuming (probably erroneously
) that both Cyberlink & Arcsoft's proprietry implementations of PAP will work on either platform (Auzentech/Asus) I am not yet sure which I favour... nice to anticipate having a choice for once



Adam

Adam,


Same here and agree with you. But I can't wait to try the Asus one soon and Azuentech after that. To answer this topic, I don't know G45 can bit stream or not without the proper players. Being said that, I think these HDMI sound cards might serve more audio needs then the G45.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So is the consensus that I should build an HTPC and upgrade the sound card when a solution becomes available? I guess I'm getting anxious to start watching some blu rays :p
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,390 Posts
Xonar HDAV1.3 has my vote.

AngelEyes; After some research, I think you're correct about the analog being PAP enabled.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,056 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gangle /forum/post/14287884


So is the consensus that I should build an HTPC and upgrade the sound card when a solution becomes available? I guess I'm getting anxious to start watching some blu rays :p


Yeah I went ahead and got a gf8200 so I can get HDMI audio now, maybe PAP will work with it, maybe not.


But...

You can always add a soundcard, and only the sound cards will bitstream for the foreseable future.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I created my build any ideas/suggestions? Any incompatibilities, necessities, or ways of making it cheaper?

http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/Pu...Number=6427374


I'll be adding either the ASUS or Auzentech sound card to this build upon release. I'd like to add a HD tuner of some sort (hauppage?) to it also... any suggestions on that?


Thanks


EDIT: Also the reason why I chose this LG HD/Blu-ray combo drive is because I read this Lite-On drive http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16827106227 has problems reading Dual-Layer blu-rays... anyone know if thats been fixed?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,000 Posts
+1 for Asus HDMI Xonar HDAV 1.3.


Though if they take long and Auzentech spits out it's offering I may consider jumping. But a definate NO on G45.


Definately G45 != (Xonar HDAV || Auzentech)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
161 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawguy /forum/post/14287718


What about your ears?

Yes, I am stuck with a 2007-bought HDMI 1.2 receiver, I will have to use my ears, and that is eventually the best test to use anyway.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,032 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawguy /forum/post/14287718


What about your ears?

I don't have a standalone player to compare the output to, so my ears can only tell me what downsampled currently sounds like
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
161 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelEyes /forum/post/14292020


I don't have a standalone player to compare the output to, so my ears can only tell me what downsampled currently sounds like

neither do I, that's why by the time I'm getting my HDMI sound card, I'll rip and decode some blu-ray audio and burn it to multichannel DVD-Audio and compare that way
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Top