AVS Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I plan to buy the Harmony 900. I just have a few questions to ask before i make the purchase as its not the cheapest remote.

It looks great and i really like it.

The thing is i have 3 tvs/projectors that i often run at once.

Setup one:

Panasonic TX-32LE8A>Mono Price HDX-401E(hdmi switch)>XBMC (pc), roku 3 and panasonic xw-350(dvd recorder with tv tuner)

With this setup, i want to be able to pick either roku, xbmc or panasonic xw-350 (i want to be able to pick an input - Either AV 1or TV).

Setup Two:

I want to be able to turn on a little 7inch tv i use as a baby monitor. I just need to be able to turn it on and off. I turn it on and off during the day. It is this model: Swann SW248-LM7 (this does not seem to be compatible with the remote - i checked on the compatibilty page).

Setup Three:

Optoma HD33 (Projector) > Sony BDV-E250 (HITB receiver/Bluray Player) > XBMC (PC)

*XBMC pc has dual hdmi output. I never use xbmc on projector and tv at once.

NOW: The thing is these are 3 different setups. They are not really connected to each other.

I am guessing i can create activities for each. But can i do 2 activities at once. For example:

1. Watch TV

2. Watch Swann TV

Can i run 2 activities at once? Can i pick which activity to control?

And then select which TV to control with the remote?

I see the roku 3 is compatible. But what about buttons such as the home button?

What about input selection on tv etc.

There are buttons that are on my remotes - HOME, Input select etc that are not avaliable on the harmony 900.

What happens then?

Cheers

REALLY REALLY SORRY FOR SO MANY QUESTIONS PLEASE DO HELP ME

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
Only some answers.

1. If the Swann is not in the Harmony database, but if it is ir controlled and you have the remote you can "learn" the buttons to the 900

2. The Swann should be operated in Device mode only, not setup in an activity. Using Activities would be independent of the Swann.

3. You can only have one Activity running at a time. Each activity defines the devices being controlled and which inputs used. When you switch Activities, the 900 will turn off those devices not longer required and turn on any that were not previously on but are required for this Activity, and switch to the required input. Three Activities would be required/defined for Setup One.

4. Any buttons on your remote that do not have an equivalent hard button on the 900 can be mapped to soft buttons on the touch screen, or you could map it to a hard button, e.g., one of the colored buttons.

·
Registered
15,375 Posts
IMO, Harmony does not sound like a good fit for the way you need to use a remote. I would look into URC or even iRule, where you have more flexibility. Running 3 screens at once simply doesn't fit harmony's activity model very well.

If these screens are in different rooms, I highly recommend using 3 different remotes. This will greatly simplify your programming, and more than one person can use your systems at one time.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for your reply. The thing with urc is that you need to be able to prgram them right? I have zero experience in such programming and where i live there isnt anyone avaliable.

If it is not too hard to program, what remote would you recommend? Not a full touch.something similar to the harmony.

Is it possible for me to have a setup where only activities for the first setup are used.

And for setup one and two i manually use the remote?

·
Registered
254 Posts
I have a Harmony 900 and I have two TV's in the same room that I control with it. I have named one TV as "Main TV" and one TV as "Bar TV" (its located above the bar). You can setup multiple activities in which both tvs are running at the same time - its just takes a lot of time and patience when doing the set up to get it right. For instance, I have the following activities set up:

* Watch Main & Bar TV

* Watch Bar & Main TV

When both Tv's are on, I can click back and forth between these two activites in order to change the channel on either TV without affecting the other TV. You just have to make sure you go to setup options and click "leave other devices on" in these activities.

I also have:

*Watch Main TV Only

* Watch Bar TV Only

Those activites will shut off all other devices. So if you are done watching the BarTV but want to continue watching Main TV, you click watch Main TV Only and it shuts everything else off but keeps the Main TV going. Over the course of a couple months, I was able to add in other multiple activites like:

* Play PS3/Watch Bar TV

* Watch Blu-Ray/Watch Bar TV

* Play Wii/Watch Main TV

etc etc.

Moral of the story is it takes time, patience, and trial and error but it is possible for a creative person who understands their components to set it up nd get everything working. Hope this helps

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think i will take that harmony route. I know my components quite well and this is probably the best way to go..

I will probably have a similar set up to you. I just dont understand one thing.

* Watch Main & Bar TV

* Watch Bar & Main TV

Why do you have 2 of the same?

Cheers

·
Registered
6 Posts
For the same price as a harmony 900 you could the URC mx-880 which I think you will be much more happy with for the tasks that you want it o carry out. Also if programmed right it will run a lot smoother and faster than any harmony remote.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i dont have any experience in programming remotes and this is why i am looking at getting the harmony.

Also, i dont really like how the URC remotes look.

At this stage i am going with the harmony 900.

Are there any that look nice as the harmony and is as easy to setup. I am not dumb in the programming part, its just that i dont want to spend heaps and heaps of time to program a remote.

cheers

·
Registered
6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tezz99  /t/1471496/will-the-harmony-900-do#post_23285930

i dont have any experience in programming remotes and this is why i am looking at getting the harmony.

Also, i dont really like how the URC remotes look.

At this stage i am going with the harmony 900.

Are there any that look nice as the harmony and is as easy to setup. I am not dumb in the programming part, its just that i dont want to spend heaps and heaps of time to program a remote.

cheers
If you are gonna go with the harmony line I'd wait a couple of days for the harmony ultimate or the simple smart control

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I dont reallylike touch full touch remotes like the harmony touch and i dont want to use a smartphone with the remote.

At the moment im really leaning towards the harmony tbh.

·
Registered
254 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tezz99  /t/1471496/will-the-harmony-900-do#post_23285561

I think i will take that harmony route. I know my components quite well and this is probably the best way to go..

I will probably have a similar set up to you. I just dont understand one thing.

* Watch Main & Bar TV

* Watch Bar & Main TV

Why do you have 2 of the same?

Cheers

Watch Main & Bar is the activity you enter when you want to control the Main TV. Watch Bar & Main is the activity you enter when you want to control the Bar TV.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I recently purchased the Harmony Remote and currently have 9 devices programmed into the unit. My favorite Activities involve using the Roku HD-XR Media Streaming Device. I have three Activities that use this device; RokuMain, RokuBed and RokuAll. With these three Activities I can control two TV's, a Media Streaming Device and my AVR anywhere in my Condo. I still need to add another main blaster to the devices in the bedroom in order to utilize the full capablilties that the Harmony 900 offers. It used to be that I woud say I LOVE MY ROKU now I am saying I LOVE MY HARMONY 900...lol

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmccall  /t/1471496/will-the-harmony-900-do#post_23286027

Watch Main & Bar is the activity you enter when you want to control the Main TV. Watch Bar & Main is the activity you enter when you want to control the Bar TV.

Oh i see. Thats a very good idea, and i think it would work great for me. What do you think?

Also, when you change from one activity to the other e.g from Watch Main & Bar TV to Watch Bar & Main TV. Is there any lag? By lag, i mean does the video flash due to change in inputs or is it just an instant change on the remote? I hope you under stand what i mean :p

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by yestheater  /t/1471496/will-the-harmony-900-do#post_23286146

I recently purchased the Harmony Remote and currently have 9 devices programmed into the unit. My favorite Activities involve using the Roku HD-XR Media Streaming Device. I have three Activities that use this device; RokuMain, RokuBed and RokuAll. With these three Activities I can control two TV's, a Media Streaming Device and my AVR anywhere in my Condo. I still need to add another main blaster to the devices in the bedroom in order to utilize the full capablilties that the Harmony 900 offers. It used to be that I woud say I LOVE MY ROKU now I am saying I LOVE MY HARMONY 900...lol

So you are using a similar setup to mmmccall. Just for the roku though. How did you find the roku setup? Was the remote fully functional with out programming additional buttons? Such as home and back?

·
Registered
254 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tezz99  /t/1471496/will-the-harmony-900-do#post_23286975

Oh i see. Thats a very good idea, and i think it would work great for me. What do you think?

Also, when you change from one activity to the other e.g from Watch Main & Bar TV to Watch Bar & Main TV. Is there any lag? By lag, i mean does the video flash due to change in inputs or is it just an instant change on the remote? I hope you under stand what i mean :p

I know exactly what you mean. I find the 900 to be a bit slower than to react than the 890 that I had as far as switching activities so thats a little annoying sometimes. However, at least for my tvs, there is no flashing for the input changes. The display will pop up and tell me that I am on HdMI 1 but the picture won't flash off.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hey guys

so i just purchased the harmony 900 remote. I like it so far although i havent done much to it.

I have added all my devices and am now testing all devices without activities. Everything seems to work fine except the roku 3. That has a delay when pressing buttons and seems no where near close to the actual roku 3 remote.

I have tried tinkering with delay settings and also repeat settings. Nothing seems to work? What are my options? I have searched everywhere but cant really find a descent answer

Please help

1 - 16 of 16 Posts