AVS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I want to buy an A/V receiver, but i'm on a very tight budget. The Onkyo 605 seems to be the no-brainer at the moment, but i really like the price of the 505 ( half of the 605 ). The summarised selling point of the 605 over the 505 seems to be the support of the HD formats.

Now, switching from the stereo audio that a tv outputs to the 5.1 or 7.1 experience seems like a BIG jump, but i'm not convinced moving from DTS to DTS HD or something similar will be such a big jump. In my eyes, the HD formats are an overrated thing that people seem to "need" these days ( i'm actually just trying to talk myself into a low budget here
).

Now for the real question : when in a couple of years, blueray is really taking over ( HD-DVD seems to have died last week ) will it -only- have HD-tracks or will the "old" DTS and Dolby tracks also be supported? There is more than enough room on a blueray disk, no?

·
Premium Member
3,133 Posts
Legacy support is mandatory on both formats. However, if you are the sort to keep equipment for a long time (like me), I think you should pony up for the 605. The 505 cannot process audio AT ALL over HDMI and that is restrictive.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by rynberg /forum/post/12853948

Legacy support is mandatory on both formats.

Excellent!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rynberg /forum/post/12853948

However, if you are the sort to keep equipment for a long time (like me), I think you should pony up for the 605. The 505 cannot process audio AT ALL over HDMI and that is restrictive.

Well i've thought about that but i'm not sure what would be the smartest move :

- pay 300 extra and buy the 605 now to be future proof

- wait untill the future is here (when blueray has become common ...), sell the 505, and buy the future entry-level receiver with HD support and HDMI 1.3 for 300

·
Registered
59 Posts
I would go with the 605, you will be glad you did in the long run. I bought one for my secondary system and have been very pleased with it and the $98 HD DVD player I got back in November. The only thing that I have noticed is that this reciever tends to run very warm and if it is going to be in a closed rack I would be sure to add a fan to the rack for ventilation.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts