AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Will there be any Repercussions to our Denon 5800, upgraded 5800, or the new 5803? I guess what I am saying is, if our current HDTV's and Receivers/decoder boxes are being threatened to become obsolete, how will this affect our AV Receivers? I know I will be able to use my Denon (which I love) with all my current equipment, but how will it interface with all the new equipment that incoporates the copyright formats? Maybe we can use the RS232 port to interact with a AV PC that will interface with the other equipment VIA Firewire ect.. I really have no idea if this would work, just fiqured I throw this out there and see what you all thought.

DenonJeff any comments on these formats and the interfacing of our Denon equipment?

:)

·
Registered
15,125 Posts
a) Your current receiver will be obsolete, of course.

If you want to be able to apply appropriate speaker channel processing (bass management, speaker distance, phase & lip-sync compensation plus individual channel volume adjustments) to the high resolution audio formats, then you'll need a new receiver/pre-pro. The adjustments in the analog domain will continue to be limited unless you're willing to redigitize the signal.

If you want to watch the high-resolution copy-protected video signals (like pay-per-view) in full resolution, then you'll need a new display device. Recordable analog signals won't be available at the full resolution. Only limited digital recording will be possible for the copy-protected programming.

b) Your receiver won't suddenly stop working. The current music formats will continue to be available for years to come. (e.g. records still work fine)

You'll still be able to use your current TV to watch standard resolution and most HD video in analog form at their full resolutions: only the copy protected programming will be affected. (e.g. laserdiscs still work fine.)

c) New digital processors will be available with analog outputs that connect to your current hardware. They may have some limitations in the resolutions they provide for some signals, however.

·
Registered
738 Posts
These issues are precisely why I am holding back on updating my nearly five year old Sony ES receiver.

How soon can we expect receivers and pre-pros with multiple DVI inputs which supplement or (ugh) replace component inputs. You may need one for satellite, hd-cable, hd-dvd and maybe even the next generation DVD players?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.