AVS Forum banner

201 - 220 of 397 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hey Mike,

It might be a bit too soon for you to say, but at this point would you recommend the NZ3 or the Epson 5050UB for a basement/Family room with pretty good control on ambient lights except for reflections from furniture, ceiling and light gray walls (Yep, I lost that fight too!) ?

Thank you!

·
Registered
3,925 Posts
I just have a cheap light meter. I would not trust it for measurements. Sharpness is good, but sharpness on the 0.66 chip should be slightly better, but if all other things are equal (lens and processing) I doubt you would be able to tell a difference, when watching a movie. Threw on Aquaman HDR. Skin tones look good and so does color. Flesh tones look pretty accurate.

With HDR, the projector is in high. I can hear the projector in quiet passages, but it is not very obtrusive. Projector looks great in bright scenes, like all DLP's.

Added
Also should mention that I do not see any light scatter. :)
...sounds good so far!

Also, unlike the UHZ65 (which has around 21% vertical lens shift of the image height), this one has around 60. I thought the lens on the UHZ65 was good enough/okay though (but not the best brightness uniformity).

I'm not finding enough information on this LX-NZ3. If it shares materials used in the BenQ "parts bin," Benq typically has very good lenses even on the entry-level stuff. If yes, do you know if a low dispersion lens is being used in the LX-NZ3?

As far as contrast, native on the UHZ65 was a tad over 1,000:1 but it showed very good dynamic contrast and measured over 30,000:1 in DB2, on the one I measured. Calibrated, it put out over 2,500 lumens and I was able to use it for multipurpose with lighted conditions. The reason I returned my UHZ was because I kept having issues with the menu either showing the wrong HZ or omitting the proper number, or maybe sometimes a bit of both. And I began to see lots of RBE. Presumably, the phosphor/color wheel combo with these laser DLPs moves around slowly, maybe 2x. I have no reason to think this JVC uses a different wheel set up. If you're not seeing RBE, I wonder if the LX uses color doubling in the color wheel, although I would think that to be unlikely.

And I keep in mind that another advantage offered by this JVC is that it has auto tone mapping (which I won't confuse with Frame Adapt/dynamic tone mapping in the native 4k, LCos).

Right, so some disadvantage with the .47 chip sharpness-wise. Seeing the chip being used in different projector, not side-by-side with the UHZ65, but going from memory, the .47 chip had more of a two-dimensional appeal to its lines and presented more of a "cartoonish" look, which I didn't mind because I was seeing good resolution. The .66 chip, at least when viewed through the UHZ65, had a bit more refinement to its lines. That could be because of the larger mirrors and because the .66 chip natively presents higher resolution (2716x1528 versus .47's 1920x1080).

·
Registered
28,831 Posts
Hey Mike,

It might be a bit too soon for you to say, but at this point would you recommend the NZ3 or the Epson 5050UB for a basement/Family room with pretty good control on ambient lights except for reflections from furniture, ceiling and light gray walls (Yep, I lost that fight too!) ?

Thank you!
Other than the low native contrast, I like pretty much everything else about this projector. The Epson will have better contrast, but the auto tone mapping is good as is the dynamic dimming and the light output. The 5050 is a nice projector for the money, but do not like the white case for a dedicated room.

·
Registered
3,925 Posts
Other than the low native contrast, I like pretty much everything else about this projector. The Epson will have better contrast, but the auto tone mapping is good as is the dynamic dimming and the light output. The 5050 is a nice projector for the money, but do not like the white case for a dedicated room.
I was never a fan of the Epson's white case either. What I was thinking when he asked about the comparison was for this JVC you have
1. single chip precision/sharpness
2. laser
3. full off laser?
4. brightness

For the Epson, you have
1. competitively priced
2. DCI P3 color
3. much better native contrast
4. brightness (not sure of number when calibrated though)

·
Registered
28,831 Posts
I was never a fan of the Epson's white case either. What I was thinking when he asked about the comparison was for this JVC you have
1. single chip precision/sharpness
2. laser
3. full off laser?
4. brightness

For the Epson, you have
1. competitively priced
2. DCI P3 color
3. much better native contrast
4. brightness (not sure of number when calibrated though)
The DCI P3 filter costs you too many lumens on the Epson. Because of that, not many use it. So I do not give that advantage much weight.

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
It didn't seem very loud when standing directly under it at Cedia - which granted, isn't the quietest place. But I did make an effort to try and listen to it. I have to think there was something wrong with the unit Kraine had, or it was a pre-production unit that wasn't quite right.

There's now a notice on Kraine's review, that it was a preproduction unit:

"Editor's Note: The model tested is a pre-production sample. JVC engineers said they were going to correct some defects in the final production optics."

·
Registered
18,159 Posts
There's now a notice on Kraine's review, that it was a preproduction unit:

"Editor's Note: The model tested is a pre-production sample. JVC engineers said they were going to correct some defects in the final production optics."
I really don't know why any manufacturer does itself the dis-service of sending out demo units that aren't ready for prime time. JVC Europe seems to do this more often than most.

·
Premium Member
313 Posts
...sounds good so far!

Also, unlike the UHZ65 (which has around 21% vertical lens shift of the image height), this one has around 60. I thought the lens on the UHZ65 was good enough/okay though (but not the best brightness uniformity).

I'm not finding enough information on this LX-NZ3. If it shares materials used in the BenQ "parts bin," Benq typically has very good lenses even on the entry-level stuff. If yes, do you know if a low dispersion lens is being used in the LX-NZ3?

As far as contrast, native on the UHZ65 was a tad over 1,000:1 but it showed very good dynamic contrast and measured over 30,000:1 in DB2, on the one I measured. Calibrated, it put out over 2,500 lumens and I was able to use it for multipurpose with lighted conditions. The reason I returned my UHZ was because I kept having issues with the menu either showing the wrong HZ or omitting the proper number, or maybe sometimes a bit of both. And I began to see lots of RBE. Presumably, the phosphor/color wheel combo with these laser DLPs moves around slowly, maybe 2x. I have no reason to think this JVC uses a different wheel set up. If you're not seeing RBE, I wonder if the LX uses color doubling in the color wheel, although I would think that to be unlikely.

And I keep in mind that another advantage offered by this JVC is that it has auto tone mapping (which I won't confuse with Frame Adapt/dynamic tone mapping in the native 4k, LCos).

Right, so some disadvantage with the .47 chip sharpness-wise. Seeing the chip being used in different projector, not side-by-side with the UHZ65, but going from memory, the .47 chip had more of a two-dimensional appeal to its lines and presented more of a "cartoonish" look, which I didn't mind because I was seeing good resolution. The .66 chip, at least when viewed through the UHZ65, had a bit more refinement to its lines. That could be because of the larger mirrors and because the .66 chip natively presents higher resolution (2716x1528 versus .47's 1920x1080).
I'll be getting an NZ3 over here soon. You're welcome to do a side by side with the UHZ65 if you'd like, just let me know.

·
Registered
3,925 Posts
I'll be getting an NZ3 over here soon. You're welcome to do a side by side with the UHZ65 if you'd like, just let me know.
Thanks! My guess is that the UHZ65 will outperform it for SDR, on image quality alone, but I'm not sure about how much of an advantage auto tone mapping gives the NZ3 for HDR.

·
Registered
5,693 Posts
Thanks! My guess is that the UHZ65 will outperform it for SDR, on image quality alone, but I'm not sure about how much of an advantage auto tone mapping gives the NZ3 for HDR.
Auto tone mapping should mean less clipping.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Mike, thank you for your posts and answering various questions from the group. I am happy that you were able to dampen the potential noise issue in full lamp mode with your tests on a production unit. I ordered the LX-NZ3W, and it should be delivered towards the end of next week. It will be up and running before Christmas.

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
I measured the SPL of the projector from 3' away.

Eco I am getting around 23db.
Normal around 30db.
Variable Low around 30db
Variable High around 30db

My family room does not have light control and has lots of windows. Watching some soccer right now on 127" diagonal 16:9 1.3 gain FireHawk screen and image looks good, even in Eco mode. Will go for a run and when I get back it will be dark, so will look at a few scenes from so movies.

Better than the official JVC figures, incredible but I don't believe it for a second.

You really touched the perfect copy. :D

The manufacturer announces at best 29 dB in economy mode and we all know that the manufacturer figures are always optimized.
So there is no chance that the NZ3 will reach 23 dB. Besides, I'd be surprised to know what sound level meter you use to go so low, Mike?

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
Better than the official JVC figures, incredible but I don't believe it for a second.

You really touched the perfect copy. :D

The manufacturer announces at best 29 dB in economy mode and we all know that the manufacturer figures are always optimized.
So there is no chance that the NZ3 will reach 23 dB. Besides, I'd be surprised to know what sound level meter you use to go so low, Mike?
Another review:

https://www.projectorreviews.com/jvc/jvc-lx-nz3-4k-laser-dlp-projector-review/

·
Registered
239 Posts
It seems like there's very little in feild data on this projector.
Is it still to new. Normally when jvc is released its tested by everyone.

·
Registered
18,159 Posts

·
Registered
401 Posts

·
Registered
28,831 Posts
Says "Native 4K UHD" in the specs/highlights. Would be nice to write that it is really a FullHD pixelshifter.

Even the competition uhz65's larger resolution is clearly said, but not the reviewed projectors native resolution.

Lähetetty minun MRD-LX1 laitteesta Tapatalkilla
As of right now, if it is DLP, we know it is a pixel shifter, even if we do not know the native resolution.

201 - 220 of 397 Posts