361 - 380 of 397 Posts

·
Registered
18,133 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
18,133 Posts
Thanks! I prefer gamma 2.4 by the way, open up some more details in the dark areas.
I may have changed the gamma just to see what effect that had. If I were keeping it, I'd do more tinkering. But I need to send it back next week.

·
Registered
134 Posts
So in the video review the dark scenes from guirdians if the Galaxy looked pretty flat/poor.

Is it really that bad or just just his setup (wash out + who knows what hdr stack).

·
Registered
10 Posts
So in the video review the dark scenes from guirdians if the Galaxy looked pretty flat/poor.

Is it really that bad or just just his setup (wash out + who knows what hdr stack).
I don't have guardians of the Galaxy to make a direct comparision but I can tell you that its not that bad at all. Its not a perfet projectr and contrast its not its best quality but I'm globally satisfied.

This is my initial impression after about 50 hour.

What I like:
- Brightness is impressive, even in echo mode. A TV like experience
- Colors are intense, deep and natural
- Resolution is beyond my expectation, e-shift works very well and without artifact or any added noise.
- Noise in echo mode, the projector is not udible
- Ranbow in 50/60 Hertz is almost absent
- Lens shift and throwing distance is perfect for my room
- I can leave it on without worrying about the lamp duration. With two kids who use it insted of TV is not trivial

What I don't like (but I can live with)
- Lens quality is poor, lot of cromatic aberrations and halo on menu text (which is not so evident on screen)
- Noise in Standard and variable high/low mode is udible
- Noise in variable high/low (80% of light) is equal to noise in Standard mode(100% light). For reference echo is 70% of light and its dead silent. Hope a firmware upgrade can fix this.
- Native contrast can be better
- Rainbow in 24P mode is clearly visible to my eyes (i'm very sensitive), but I have accepted it.
- Focus has slight shift when projecter is cold/hot, again the lens is poor.
- The menu has a good style if we had been twenty years ago
- Lens shift do not have a zero position, so you don't know if you have it enabled or not and how much. Its a minor issue, but I don't like it.
- HDMI synch is slow and may happen frequently when the Apple TV output format is different than the content you are watching.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Thanks Giuseppe - as Craig knows, I am strongly considering this for my 135" screen in a non-dedicated workshop/mancave. Projector will be ~17ft from screen, ceiling mounted at 9ft and use will be divided between daytime/sports and movie viewing. Here is my thought process -

- full power when watching sports during the day. Usually with people over. Fan noise not likely an issue.
- eco at night should be plenty
- I don't see DLP rainbows

Pros:
No bulb dimming. Never have to change a bulb.
Cheaper than NX5 or Optoma laser dlp
Much brighter than NX5

Cons:
Contrast/blacks (but that will be hurt anyway by my space, grey/green walls, etc)
Fan noise (but ceiling mounted in eco mode should be ok, not an issue when watching sports)
Manual lens adjustments (but how often am I really going to mess with it? Not using panamorph, etc)

From the YouTube videos and pro-reviews out there, you'd think this was the worse projector ever. And I get it. If I had a dedicated space, this would be a non-starter. I would be looking at an NX5 or even an NX7 because the space could justify it. Or for the same price, something quieter/dimmer/higher contrast like an Epson for my quiet black room. However, for a non-dedicated space with ambient light (and ambient people), this seems like a great option.

·
Registered
18,133 Posts
Thanks Giuseppe - as Craig knows, I am strongly considering this for my 135" screen in a non-dedicated workshop/mancave. Projector will be ~17ft from screen, ceiling mounted at 9ft and use will be divided between daytime/sports and movie viewing. Here is my thought process -

- full power when watching sports during the day. Usually with people over. Fan noise not likely an issue.

Pros:
Much brighter than NX5

Cons:
Contrast/blacks (but that will be hurt anyway by my space, grey/green walls, etc)
Fan noise (but ceiling mounted in eco mode should be ok, not an issue when watching sports)
Manual lens adjustments (but how often am I really going to mess with it? Not using panamorph, etc)

From the YouTube videos and pro-reviews out there, you'd think this was the worse projector ever. And I get it. If I had a dedicated space, this would be a non-starter. I would be looking at an NX5 or even an NX7 because the space could justify it. Or for the same price, something quieter/dimmer/higher contrast like an Epson for my quiet black room. However, for a non-dedicated space with ambient light (and ambient people), this seems like a great option.
If I was still in my old house with the projector in an open beam ceiling family room ( with zero light control ), this projector would be just the ticket. Or, as a 2nd projector for watching sports and HDTV with some lights on, it would be perfect.

·
Registered
1 Posts

Pros:
Much brighter than NX5

Cons:

What screen choice are you going to pair with that ambient light setup?

·
Registered
235 Posts

Pros:
Much brighter than NX5

Cons:

After watching the reviews.
Reading.

The uhz65 I feel is a better projector.
I have read the thread 3 times now.
The adjust thats available for picture is outstanding.

I really want to see a side by side on these 2.

My goal is 150 inch screen.
So I need the output.

Only other projector I am looking at is the 6050

·
Registered
229 Posts
The uhz65 I feel is a better projector...

I really want to see a side by side on these 2.
Agree. Would also like to see them side by side.
The uhz65 is two years old, but has the .66 chip. Maybe better lens?
The JVC has auto-tone mapping, more lens shift (if needed) and is ~$1k cheaper

uhz65 is probably quieter. :D

·
Registered
2 Posts
Does anyone have a "in-depth" Calibration for this projector? (JVC LX-NZ3)

I have this unit, and will be doing a comparison on using Seymour AV Glacier White screen vs. Carl's Place Ultra Gray Screen material.

Trying to help those black levels a tad. Any calibrations would be great to see and try!!!

361 - 380 of 397 Posts