AVS Forum banner

381 - 397 of 397 Posts

·
Registered
18,137 Posts
LX-NZ3 head to head with the 6050UB:
These two projectors are really for two different uses. The JVC - watch like a TV in a less than ideal room. The Epson - works better in a dedicated space as a home theater projector. A closer match up would be a JVC RS540 and the 6050UB. Same price more or less too.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Agree. Would also like to see them side by side.
The uhz65 is two years old, but has the .66 chip. Maybe better lens?
The JVC has auto-tone mapping, more lens shift (if needed) and is ~$1k cheaper

uhz65 is probably quieter. :D
I am also torn between the Optoma UHZ65 and the NZ3...
wish there were some direct comparisons...

what do the pros on this thread recommend between these two projectors?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just got the LX-NZ3W and having the following issues with it:
the highlights have a strange yellow tint to it (see the attached pictures one taken from my computer monitor and another from the projector in a color neutral room).
I'm giving it a feed from my mac book pro HDMI out (tried 2 different computers, different videos. sample uploaded is ford vs ferrari 1080hd, non hdr).
Pretty much played with all the settings on the projector, but cant seem to fix it / make it look decent.
the rest of the colors, resolution etc are amazing, but this yellow stepping in the highlights is truly unwatchable.

can anyone suggest a proper setting to adjust perhaps, or anything else i may be doing wrong.
or is my unit defective or is it how this projector handles highlights.

thank you.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
the highlights have a strange yellow tint to it (see the attached pictures one taken from my computer monitor and another from the projector in a color neutral room).
I'm giving it a feed from my mac book pro HDMI out (tried 2 different computers, different videos. sample uploaded is ford vs ferrari 1080hd, non hdr).
Pretty much played with all the settings on the projector, but cant seem to fix it / make it look decent.
the rest of the colors, resolution etc are amazing, but this yellow stepping in the highlights is truly unwatchable.

can anyone suggest a proper setting to adjust perhaps, or anything else i may be doing wrong.

thank you.
Are you using YCBCR output from the laptop?

Also the projector should have an info screen where it reports the incoming signal parameters: Bit depth, HDR/SDR, resolution, etc and it will help if you can report info here.

·
Registered
28,778 Posts

thank you.
Not a settings issue. If you are in the US, your projector needs to go to JVC service and they can correct this problem. If outside the US, contact your dealer.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Would the Elite Cinegrey be a good starter screen for the NZ3? Stay white at first? I didn't want to jump into the high dollar screens just yet without an opinion.

I have a long open basement for entertaining and want to show bright sports that can be seen from the other side of the basement or turn off all the lights and watch a dark movie.

130" or 135" screen
15ft viewing position
16-18ft projector placement (havent done it yet)
15wx55lx8.5h open basement essentially

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
Would the Elite Cinegrey be a good starter screen for the NZ3? Stay white at first? I didn't want to jump into the high dollar screens just yet without an opinion.

I have a long open basement for entertaining and want to show bright sports that can be seen from the other side of the basement or turn off all the lights and watch a dark movie.

130" or 135" screen
15ft viewing position
16-18ft projector placement (havent done it yet)
15wx55lx8.5h open basement essentially
I'd suggest a painted screen wall, with a lower gain screen paint, if a suitable wall exists. You're then free to make the projected image larger, or smaller, as desired. I suspect you'll find a larger screen desirable.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'd suggest a painted screen wall, with a lower gain screen paint, if a suitable wall exists. You're then free to make the projected image larger, or smaller, as desired. I suspect you'll find a larger screen desirable.

I have a suitable wall and could go the paint route but I just doubt my painting ability. I doubt any of the painters I get have ever painted a projector screen as well. Also, do not know what to say to a drywaller to prep for that.

My walls and ceiling in that area are slated to get painted Naval (Sher Will) at the moment.

I am just looking for a good starting point for a screen and evaluate what I like and don't like about it. What paint would provide a good starting point for that? Assuming everything is done correctly that is.

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
I have a suitable wall and could go the paint route but I just doubt my painting ability. I doubt any of the painters I get have ever painted a projector screen as well. Also, do not know what to say to a drywaller to prep for that.

My walls and ceiling in that area are slated to get painted Naval (Sher Will) at the moment.

I am just looking for a good starting point for a screen and evaluate what I like and don't like about it. What paint would provide a good starting point for that? Assuming everything is done correctly that is.
As long as the drywall seams are smooth and appear seamless, you should be fine. I used Roscoe TVwhite:

https://ca.rosco.com/en/product/tv-paint

and it works very well for me, and would be well suited to the LX-NZ3, IMHO. There is a DIY screen paint forum here:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/110-diy-screen-section/

·
Registered
13 Posts
Are the tone mapping features on this projector close enough to the NX5/NX7 capabilities so that I wouldn't want to tone map in a player? Asking because I'm trying to decide between a Panasonic and a Sony, and big differences between them include tone mapping in the Panasonic, and IP control in the Sonly. It seems like if the tone mapping in the projector is good enough then the Sony would be a better play (for me).

·
Registered
28,778 Posts
Are the tone mapping features on this projector close enough to the NX5/NX7 capabilities so that I wouldn't want to tone map in a player? Asking because I'm trying to decide between a Panasonic and a Sony, and big differences between them include tone mapping in the Panasonic, and IP control in the Sonly. It seems like if the tone mapping in the projector is good enough then the Sony would be a better play (for me).
This JVC does fine with disc's, but only if the metadata on the disc is correct. A Panasonic player would be a better way to go. You still have a problem with streaming. The NX5/RS1000/NX7/RS2000 are much better with tone mapping of HDR.

·
26,161 Posts
Has anyone had hands on experience with JVC's laser-based projector, LX-NZ3? https://www.us.jvc.com/projectors/dlp/lx_nz3b/ I performed a search of this forum and found nothing, which seems surprising. I'm about to order a new lamp for my DLA-X790. I've replaced lamps on every other projector I've owned and looking back at the cost (which is now $600 for the JVC OEM), I'm exploring other options. Anyone have anything to say about this projector?
The best way to search is advance search, title search only and limit search words to 1 or 2. Also, you can search using google, with make/model + avs forum

381 - 397 of 397 Posts