AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been looking at getting into the FPTV world, and one of the finalists in my search is the Plus Piano.

In looking at the info on the 3200 at the Plus website, it seems to me that they have corrected a lot of the issues people seem to have had with the 3100 (though I didn't notice any info about light output).

Does anyone wiser in these matters than I have any opinions on this model?

I know the unit is due out in July, so I may be a bit early with these questions. How far in advance of a projector's release do the reviews start appearing?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I attended the HT Expo in NYC this past Friday and immediately went to the Piano room to see their product. I expected to see the original model on display but was pleasantly surprised to see the new model 3200. I spent about 15 minutes viewing it and thought it did a great job. Another projector you might want to consider is the Infocus Screenplay 110. This projector looked great at the HT Expo, however, it was more expensive.....$4,999.

·
Registered
114 Posts
That's MSRP though it could be found for a little over $3900 without doing much research. Same as the Otoma H55. And I still can't pick one :( lol

GloP

·
Registered
123 Posts
Chauncey,

I'm sure you'll find no shortage of people willing to comment on the Piano, but let me be among the first to say that although I'm sure I'm no wiser, I'm a very pleased Piano owner. Mine has performed flawlessly since day one. I believe it has many advantages ove other projectors, the following being some of the the most compelling"

·
Registered
123 Posts
Pressed the wrong button, there. PLease don't take my typing aptitude as a sign of general intelligence of Piano owners. As I was saying,

- Picture quality. I have not seen anything near the price of the Piano that can compare with it's picture quality. When I bought mine, I fit the description of the prospective owner pretty close, DVD movies in a light controlled room with an 80" or so screen. It really handles contrast, color, and detail effortlessly.

- Size. Tiny. Fits in anywhere, a snap to ceiling mount DIY.

- Noise. None. No light leaks, either.

- Cost. You need to get out there and compare, of course, but you can buy alot of DVDs for the $2000 to $3000 you'll save on alternate choices.

Did I mention picture quality?

There are many more attributes, too numerous to mention. I've got a roller skating date with my daughter. Look and compare, the Piano will speak for itself.

Good luck,

Jim S.

·
Registered
149 Posts
pianojim:

Did you ever see a NEC LT-150, properly set up ( Da-lite high power screen; Panny Rp-91 DVD player, or HTPC ) ? This is my current setup but I am thinking of going with the new model Piano 3200. My hesitation is with Piano's resolution (SVGA). I've seen the Infocus 16x9 HT projector and found it too pixelated compared to the XGA Lt-150. The Piano and the Infocus both use the same TI DMD chip. Is the Piano just as pixelated?

·
Registered
191 Posts
Quietman

If the screen size for The Piano is kept within its operating criteria, and you sit approximately 2x the screen width from the screen you’ll be very hard pressed to see any pixilization. The smooth film like image that the Piano projects is one of its strong characteristics.

Peter

·
Registered
175 Posts
I was at the HEE in NY last week as well. I saw the Piano and was not impressed. The room was very very dark and the picture was still flat and lacked depth. The contrast was lacking to say the least. The DVD image (Jurassic Park III) was no better than the HD image (CSI on CBS).

On the other hand, the InFocus 110 looked excellent. Great colors and contrast. Blacks were very good too. I'm leaning towards that one. The demo was done with much more ambient light than the Piano demo and IMO the image was great. I can only imagine how much better it would look in a dark room.

I also the SHarp 9000 and thought it looked bad. There were 3 different units that I saw and they all looked poor.

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
The new Plus Piano HE-3200 is said to have 450 ansi lumens.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Tom Bley
The new Plus Piano HE-3200 is said to have 450 ansi lumens.
Same as the HE-3100.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.