AVS Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven975 /forum/post/17022652

IMO, at $299 it is still to expensive for Sony to experiment like that.

Maybe when it hits $150 and they have enough of a target demographic. Even at $300, in this economy, it is a tough sell.

What is the target demographic? Or am I responding to a troll?

·
Registered
5,639 Posts
That's a naughty thread title.

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
Just add food coloring to it and it can be any color you want.

·
Registered
3,525 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giz /forum/post/17022716

What is the target demographic? Or am I responding to a troll?

Their demographic now is people who can dump $300 on a game console. There's probably 10x as many people who can dump $150 on one, and that is the time to experiment with colors (as the cost of failure is significantly lower).

Retailer space is limited, and the PS3 isn't really all that great a seller. Even 2 SKUs is too many.

·
Registered
162 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven975 /forum/post/17023381

Their demographic now is people who can dump $300 on a game console. There's probably 10x as many people who can dump $150 on one, and that is the time to experiment with colors (as the cost of failure is significantly lower).

Retailer space is limited, and the PS3 isn't really all that great a seller. Even 2 SKUs is too many.

Huh?

·
Registered
753 Posts
From the press release: Product code: CECH-2000 (Charcoal Black)

That sure makes it look like other colors are coming in the future. None of the other older press releases I googled mentioned the color.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giz /forum/post/17024254

Huh?

What?

I understood what he was saying. I can walk into ANY Best Buy, Game Stop, Target, Walmart, etc and the PS3 always has the SMALLEST area devoted to games, systems, & peripherals out of the big three. Also, it is still the most expensive console of the three.

Until there is either:

A) a signifigant price reduction (PS3 is still the most expensive according to MSRP)

B) a big enough exclusive software release

the PS3 will not fly off the shelf fast enough to warrant any additional colors that may otherwise just sit around. Who in their right mind is going to pay $300 for a hot pink PS3 because that is all that is left on the shelf? Not I. At a lower price point I might consider it but not for a $300 investment.

·
Registered
162 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcorona76 /forum/post/17025714

What?

I understood what he was saying. I can walk into ANY Best Buy, Game Stop, Target, Walmart, etc and the PS3 always has the SMALLEST area devoted to games, systems, & peripherals out of the big three. Also, it is still the most expensive console of the three.

Until there is either:

A) a signifigant price reduction (PS3 is still the most expensive according to MSRP)

B) a big enough exclusive software release

the PS3 will not fly off the shelf fast enough to warrant any additional colors that may otherwise just sit around. Who in their right mind is going to pay $300 for a hot pink PS3 because that is all that is left on the shelf? Not I. At a lower price point I might consider it but not for a $300 investment.

What?

He didn't say anything about those stores - or any stores for that matter. Nor did he say anything about shelf space or exclusive software - or exclusive games.

Saying that a target demographic of a $300 PS3 is people that can "dump" $300 on a game console is hardly a demographic. Not much to go on there.

Do you think a company that hires an outside advertising company to target advertisements will merely say I have a $300 product, so please target your ads to people that can dump $300 on a product? Wouldn't the ad company need more than that? Even if it was to develop the info itself?

At what price point would you buy a pink PS3 slim?

·
Registered
4,671 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giz /forum/post/17022716

What is the target demographic?

People with electricity

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.