AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Will the RS-1 be alot better than the Mitsubishi HC5000? I have been on the AVS waiting list for a Mitsubishi HC5000 for a while now, but now I'm reading so much about the RS-1 I'm wondering if I should wait for it. This will be our first projector. Will there be a huge difference in sharpness etc? Just trying to see if it would justify the price increase $900 or more & increased wait time. (of course who knows how much longer it will take the HC5000)

·
Registered
Sony A90J panel; Marantz SR7015 AVR; Paradigm Signature speakers; Oppo 203 and Panasonic 820 UHD BR.
4,318 Posts
Pardon me, but rather than spraying questions all over the forum re RS-1, what would be wrong with asking this under the RS-1 questions answered section?

·
Registered
1,794 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by elovell /forum/post/0

Will the RS-1 be alot better than the Mitsubishi HC5000? I have been on the AVS waiting list for a Mitsubishi HC5000 for a while now, but now I'm reading so much about the RS-1 I'm wondering if I should wait for it. This will be our first projector. Will there be a huge difference in sharpness etc? Just trying to see if it would justify the price increase $900 or more & increased wait time. (of course who knows how much longer it will take the HC5000)

If you're getting tired of waiting for the Mits HC5000 you'll discover it will be another few months before the RS-1 will be available. The Mits is being shipped now and you should be getting yours soon so I would be a little more patient.

·
Registered
3,630 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FremontRich /forum/post/0

If you're getting tired of waiting for the Mits HC5000 you'll discover it will be another few months before the RS-1 will be available. The Mits is being shipped now and you should be getting yours soon so I would be a little more patient.

A few months?

·
Premium Member
25,537 Posts
From what I gather I'd guess sharpness is comparable, but the RS1 would kill the 5000 in contrast, so it depends how much you value that aspect.

"A few months?"

Probably realistic for someone not on the pre-order list.

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
MIT just been reviewed in a HT mag in Europe:

no iris native contrast: 800:1

with iris: 4600:1 but very visible brigthness variations

you still can see the screendoor up to 4Meters away

it's quite bright, well around 850ansi without iris but down to 340 when you use it. (while the JVC surfes around 12000:1 with 600ansi and 18000:1 at 800ansi but a bit colder temp)

always risks of color shading, a remaining deffect of the LCD technology

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
I'm not sure what magazine this unit was reviewed in, but there are several errors in the above post.

First, SDE is virtually invisible at 1.5 times screen width. This observation comes from someone that is probably in the top 1% of SDE sensitivity.

Second, Dynamic Iris setting 1 is virtually invisible; not an issue.

I also love comments that the RS1 "kills" the HC5000.

I have compared the HC5000 with my CRT projector which "kills" the RS1. The difference is minor at best, and is not a compelling reason to either choose or not choose the Mitsubishi.

·
Registered
3,242 Posts

Quote:
wildfire99: After comparing the two I chose the Mitsu over the Pearl for the following reasons:

1) slightly sharper, more detailed picture

2) lower ambient noise (this really bugs me)

3) $1000 less

4) smaller physical footprint

Before this thread gets into a "whose 1080p projector is better" argument, the Sony projected an excellent picture, certainly beating my old Sony D50Q at less than half the price. Folks who choose the Sony will not be disappointed!

New flash: As of 5 PM Elvis is in the building. Alas, two days of holiday parties are upon me. Sunday night I should be able to start unpacking everything.

Later,

Brian

Is this the same old CRT PJ that you yourself thought the Sony Pearl beat in PQ?

You might want to check out Tryg's CES thread and look at the Sony Pearl/RS1 side by side pics.

I have owned a Ruby, which I believe has a greater DI CR than the Mits, and the JVC should beat the pants off of it.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by noah katz /forum/post/0

From what I gather I'd guess sharpness is comparable, but the RS1 would kill the 5000 in contrast, so it depends how much you value that aspect.

"A few months?"

Probably realistic for someone not on the pre-order list.

Or those getting in late on the pre-order list, which would include elovell.

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
You never did take my advice and take a look at the $900 Mits HD1000U, did you??? Like I said before, you'd be VERY happy with the HD1000U... it's that impressive. At $900 and since most places stk it, I think you'd be even more happy. Order one and return it if you're not happy... but I know you'll keep it.

If you're still insisting on the two PJ's in question, I'd get the RS1 w/o question.

FWIW, I ordered a RS1 and never gave the 5000 a thought given the price, specs, and reviews from people who have seen both. I also bought a HD1000U for a bedroom and it's so impressive I now am partly questioning my own desire to spend all that money on a RS1!

·
Registered
141 Posts
"You never did take my advice and take a look at the $900 Mits HD1000U, did you???"

Take it easy wet1 and give your ego a rest. It always makes me laugh when people get offended if someone you dont know doesnt take your advice. If he didnt take, its because he didnt like it! So get over it.

Elovell, you will likely have to wait until both units are out to have direct comparisons. Everything else is just mainly speculation. My speculation is that it will be hard to tell a big difference at all, unless you are a very picky video geek.

·
Registered
2,357 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by davegrey99 /forum/post/0

"You never did take my advice and take a look at the $900 Mits HD1000U, did you???"

Take it easy wet1 and give your ego a rest. It always makes me laugh when people get offended if someone you dont know doesnt take your advice. If he didnt take, its because he didnt like it! So get over it.

Elovell, you will likely have to wait until both units are out to have direct comparisons. Everything else is just mainly speculation. My speculation is that it will be hard to tell a big difference at all, unless you are a very picky video geek.

Get over it? Ego? Welcome to the forum newbie.

First off, the he is a she. Further more, you can speculate all you like, but many very respected people have already stated how impressive the RS1 is... I have yet to hear that about the HC5000. I'm sure the HC5000 is a very nice PJ, but I certainly don't think it's in the same league as the RS1 for very similar money... if you are indeed a picky videophile.

With that said, SHE has already posted multiple times she is new to this field and is looking for a nice PJ for her and her husband (which I believe is in plumbing or HVAC and is not a techie either if I recall correctly). She came to here asking advice for what she should get for their first PJ. She looked at a Pearl and was not impressed, but she liked another Mits product (RPTV?) so she decided she'd order a HC5000 sight unseen. This is why I made the HD1000U suggestion since it would certain more than meet their needs, it's also a Mits product, it's readily available, it's brighter, is a pretty impressive PJ by anyones standards, and it cost only a fraction of the price. I don't give two sh!ts if she or anyone else takes my advice... it's her money. BUT, it's very sound advice coming from someone who has a lot of first hand experience with a product she has no experience with. I'm yet to hear any non videophile say anything but stellar things about the HD1000U, and even those in the field find it to be very impressive for the price.

Anyway, that's more of the story since you obviously had no history on the OP... but thanks again for your input.

·
Registered
3,242 Posts

Quote:

The difference should be pretty dramatic in dark scenes, even if you arent a video geek .. unless you are blind in one eye .. and wear an eye patch over the other. Check out Tryg's CES thread .. and look at the pearl (which has DI CR) screenshots vs the RS1.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Thanks for the welcome, wet1, or do I have to refer to you as "senior member". I will if that will make you feel better.

I obviously didnt know that you had intimate knowledge of her financial situation and her lack of desire for 1080p.

I am also glad to see that when asked about 2 specific choices, you decided to answer with a 3rd model...... since you have never seen the 2 she asked about in the 1st place. Like I said before, give the ego a rest.

Anyway, maybe there will be a big difference to her between the 2 models she inquired about, maybe not. Thats why I think if she is not in a rush, then wait for them to come out and go view each. Everyones eyes will be different, some may see a big difference, others not as much.

·
Registered
281 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WOLVERNOLE /forum/post/0

Pardon me, but rather than spraying questions all over the forum re RS-1, what would be wrong with asking this under the RS-1 questions answered section?

I just had to snicker a little at this. Everyone who's been here a while knows that after only about 20 posts, just about every thread here turns into some barely related, off on a big tangent, discussion. Usually, they end up being some back and forth between mostly only two people on something completely unrelated to the original topic. On a thread like the "questions answered" one with several hundred posts, you'll be lucky if it's not discussing wildlife in Antartica by now.

I have a hard time personally even looking at such threads because, unless you followed them from the beginning, you waste a lot of time looking for the posts that contain real information, and not just banter. I don't blame them for starting a new thread at all.

·
Registered
2,357 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by davegrey99 /forum/post/0

Thanks for the welcome, wet1, or do I have to refer to you as "senior member". I will if that will make you feel better.

I obviously didnt know that you had intimate knowledge of her financial situation and her lack of desire for 1080p.

I am also glad to see that when asked about 2 specific choices, you decided to answer with a 3rd model...... since you have never seen the 2 she asked about in the 1st place. Like I said before, give the ego a rest.

Senior member is fine, thank you. It's great having new folks join the forum and start off by causing friction.

We've already gone through the 720p vs 1080p and price discussion with her, so yes it was public knowledge what she wanted to spend and whether 1080p was a requirement or not. It's not a matter of ego, it's a matter of trying to help the OP find what she is looking for. If that means coming up with a third possible solution and that product will more than satisfy her needs for a fraction of the cost, it certain makes sense to at least consider that option.

Quote:
Anyway, maybe there will be a big difference to her between the 2 models she inquired about, maybe not. Thats why I think if she is not in a rush, then wait for them to come out and go view each. Everyones eyes will be different, some may see a big difference, others not as much.

Elovell wanted to get the PJ for her husband for Christmas. Obviously that didn't happen. I seem to recall the other option was to wait for her husbands birthday in July... which does leave plenty of time. But only she knows what her time-line is.

She also stated there is nothing around her and she really has to travel to view any PJs (and even so, the selection is thin), so her seeing the 2 PJs in question isn't going to happen in any kind of a timely manor. Even if she could see the items at some store, who knows how they would be setup. The sad reality is sometimes you have to take the word of respected reviewers to make what are hopefully educated buying decisions.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.