AVS Forum banner

Will the studios reduce the price of BD's? (READ OP!)

• Yes - Catalog

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No - Catalog

• Yes - Day/Date

• No - Day/Date

• Q1

• Q2

• Q3

• Q4

• No price reductions in 2009 for either.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Banned
19,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lots of discussions about Studios dropping the price of BD's to fit more in line with DVD pricing.

This is a multiple choice poll with three choices:

Catalog

Day/Date

When will this happen

The poll question means: Will MOST of the major studios (there are 8) lower prices this year and when will they do it. We are talking about the MSRP.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
I think they will have to if they want to keep the momentum. I have started downloading HD/HDX movies now so my buying plans are shrinking because of cost.

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
I have no idea if they will lower prices. Although, I would like to see the prices go lower.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSound /forum/post/15571384

Why reduce price on Blu-Ray?

They already have a lower cost, mass-market medium in DVD.

that is what i don't understand.

i really don't see what is in it for studios to lower prices. makes more sense to keep the price high. if somebody wants the movie but doesn't want to pay that much they can just buy the dvd.

why do studios care what format the sale is on so long as it sells?

·
Registered
4,925 Posts
Catalog prices, yes?

Day and date? I doubt it. They might tier the day and dates--lower prices for comedies and dramas with higher (current) prices for horror, sci-fi and action flicks. However, that would make too much sense and essentially admit that Blu-ray is pretty much a PS3 centric format.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
What I keep reading is the price problem isn't with the studios but the retailers. Retailers discount DVD much farther than BD. The difference is in the range of 60%.

Quote:

Even with near give away prices, sales of DVDs have been shrinking. 9% in 2008 alone. They need a format with more wow than DVD.

·
Registered
989 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSound /forum/post/15571384

The price difference on day/date release is about $5 from most discount mail order stores. The difference I see is that the day/date release price dropping rapidly on DVD, but remaining relatively stable on Blu-ray.

Why?

Here is my theory. The DVD market is in decline and most people that are going to buy the DVD will do so in the first 30 days. Blu-ray owners do the same except Blu-ray is growing market and as new owners become active they are picking up those 30+ day old and catalog titles. Since sales are good, where is the incentive to drop prices?

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
They have to.

After this holiday season with a couple of big blockbusters the sales can only slow down

or fall in decline.

A newspaper article mentioned that dvd sales dropped considerably the last two months of '08.

'08 DVD sales about 20billion, blu ray 780million. Translate from the article: blu ray isn't making a dent so far.

PS3 sales down 7% november december

Games showed good growth.

To keep some momentum they must lower prices.

·
Registered
989 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by allargon /forum/post/15571577

Catalog prices, yes?

Day and date? I doubt it. They might tier the day and dates--lower prices for comedies and dramas with higher (current) prices for horror, sci-fi and action flicks. However, that would make too much sense and essentially admit that Blu-ray is pretty much a PS3 centric format.

A much less controversial term would be male specific format.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Yes, Yes and Q4, but for D&Ds I'm talking only $1 or $2 so most would sell for roughly $25 at the release week sale prices.

·
Registered
4,309 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Derks /forum/post/15571931

They have to.

After this holiday season with a couple of big blockbusters the sales can only slow down

or fall in decline.

This happens for almost every consumer item available (including DVD), so I'm not sure of your point.
Quote:
A newspaper article mentioned that dvd sales dropped considerably the last two months of '08.

'08 DVD sales about 20billion, blu ray 780million. Translate from the article: blu ray isn't making a dent so far.

If your translation of "Blu-ray is the only tech that's made any major headway in home video sales, while DVD sales drop" comes out to "blu ray isn't making a dent so far", I think it's time to upgrade your translator. Oh, and let's not forget that for a third of the year, two major studios and several indies weren't releasing on the format.

Meanwhile, the Wal-mart CEO explicitly says "Blu-ray was very strong at Christmas...":

Charlie Rose - A conversation with Lee Scott, CEO of Wal-Mart

(go to ~22:35)

·
Banned
19,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The studios have had a real "taste" of the recession for 2008 - as far as the home video market.

DVD dropped $1.7B while BD gained $750M

http://www.dvdinformation.com/News/p...009yearEnd.htm

One is on the down swing while the other is on the up swing. They won't do what they do for their BO revenue - raise the ticket price every year - as less people go to the movies.

We see that Cat's pricing is all over the place. From $24.99 to $39.99. Definitely some room for improvement there.

And D/D's are priced at either $34.99 or $39.99. Nothing stopping the studios from going to $34.99 across the board. But these are the big money earners for the studios.

Cat's arent. Lower prices should stimulate sales.

And that is why I voted for yes Cat, no D/D and it will happen by then end of Q2 to get read for the worst Q for HV sales - Q3.

·
Registered
2,643 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBlacklow /forum/post/15572228

This happens for almost every consumer item available (including DVD), so I'm not sure of your point.

If your translation of "Blu-ray is the only tech that's made any major headway in home video sales, while DVD sales drop" comes out to "blu ray isn't making a dent so far", I think it's time to upgrade your translator. Oh, and let's not forget that for a third of the year, two major studios and several indies weren't releasing on the format.

Meanwhile, the Wal-mart CEO explicitly says "Blu-ray was very strong at Christmas...":

Charlie Rose - A conversation with Lee Scott, CEO of Wal-Mart

(go to ~22:35)

Not my translation. It's what was stated in a general article about the home entertainment holiday sales and 2008.

Major Headway isn't the correct wording for a format that is a replacement for DVD sales. If there was no blu ray the movies would have been sold on DVD anyway considering that these br sale are to ht enthiousiast mostly.

Overall the home video market declined. blu ray isn't turning that decline around. Without blu ray the decline would have only a little worse in total dollar value.

·
Registered
4,309 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Derks /forum/post/15572543

Major Headway isn't the correct wording for a format that is a replacement for DVD sales. If there was no blu ray the movies would have been sold on DVD anyway considering that these br sale are to ht enthiousiast mostly.

It took several years for DVD to replace VHS, and was that at a pace that was and still is record-setting. I'm wondering why you feel that it's necessary that Blu-ray maintain record-setting paces to be a success.
Quote:
Overall the home video market declined. blu ray isn't turning that decline around. Without blu ray the decline would have only a little worse in total dollar value.

And post-holiday Blu-ray sales numbers are steadily holding in the ~15% range, up from the under-5% range this time last year. Odd how that's not being mentioned...

·
Registered
4,267 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBlacklow /forum/post/15573760

And post-holiday Blu-ray sales numbers are steadily holding in the ~15% range, up from the under-5% range this time last year. Odd how that's not being mentioned...

Is that across the board or just the top 20 or top 100? Do you have a link?

As for the topic, I think studios should just bite the bullet and reduce the price of BDs despite their higher production costs. It will stimulate sales.

·
Registered
4,267 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvillain /forum/post/15574354

You should read the Blu-ray sales thread once in a while.

I did and saw a peek in the the ~15% range for a week or two. Nothing about "steadily holding".

·
Registered
348 Posts
I think we will see catalog's go a little bit lower. New releases have been about 25 bux at Best Buy recently (down from 30). For a good new release that is a pretty fair price I'd say, I don't see it going much lower than that.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts