AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was helping a friend check out HDTVs today, and a CBS HD loop was running on all the monitors. It showed clips from the recent Masters, NCAA basketball tourney, etc. It also flashed a "U.S. Open" logo.

Anyone know if CBS will be carrying the US Open golf tournament in HD in two weeks? I tried doing a search, but was unsuccessful.

(I suppose the US Open the commercial was referring to could be the

tennis US Open also.) :confused:

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
The US Open it referred to was for Tennis. No HD-Golf for US Open at Bethpage this year which NBC is broadcasting. Its a shame. But the Open will be awesome from this Publicly owned course. History in the making.

Second leg of slam for Tiger!

baimo

·
Registered
28,182 Posts
You would think that NBC would be ashamed to not have an HD simulcast of the Open or the NBA finals, the only major sporting events they have left, when the technology is clearly available and CBS seems to have no trouble doing these types of things in HD. But then, it is NBC (No-Body-Cares about HDTV...)

·
Registered
577 Posts
NBC cannot do any HD sporting event coverage without HDnet's equipment. I guess HDnet is occupied with some other events during the U.S. Open weekend, e.g. Major League baseball or Arena football.

But at least they tried, with great success (Olympics, Triple crown, etc.). Look at FOX, no HD on World Series or Superbowl.

·
AVS Forum Special Member
11,139 Posts
Someone mentioned on another thread on this topic that HDNet would be covering a baseball game the week of the golf open.

Mobile HDTV gear isn't my forte. But it's hard to believe something couldn't be rigged up using all the HDTV equipment and experts available in the Northeast! Is having everything tucked into neat, permanent racks in a van an absolute necessity? -- John

·
Registered
539 Posts
Don't know what Cablevision has to do with GE but...

Mets/Yankees:

6/13 no play

6/14 WPIX

6/15 Fox

6/16 ESPN

MSG-HD truck parked outside Shea (with nothing to do?) while Tiger & company do Bethpage.

Oh, Cablevision's corporate HQ? Bethpage.

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by archiguy
Details, only details...

If NBC had the will, they could easily find a way.
I agree. I remember that one network(probably CBS, but unsure) along with Sony broadcasted a golf tournament using the same cameras and announcers for the standard and HD broadcast. I dont know what happened to that technology, but I thought it was great.

baimo

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
John,

Thanks for the info

Thats great and probably is the same technolopgy used for the Sony tournament .

baimo

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by baimo
But the Open will be awesome from this Publicly owned course. History in the making.

baimo
They should be required to play Bethpage Black like the rest of us public golfers do. They should have to line up at about 5am only to get an 11:00 tee time, use a pull cart, dodge stray shots coming from the other Bethpage courses, play a 6 hour round behind 4 people who have no business on the Black course and have to worry that if you hit a ball into a parallel fairway that someone coming the other way will pocket their ball.

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
Bill,

I have been in my car at 3-4 AM more times than I want to remember. I dont do it anymore(went the Private Club route), but I do have many fond memories.

Sorry to get off the subject (HDTV), but Bill, you have to check out Dave Marr's article on the course Black and Blue

I have never played the Black, but it sounds like grueling fun.

I sure wish it was being shown in High Definition :(

baimo

·
Registered
690 Posts
I watch HDTV allot and the best demonstrations of HD this year was the Olympics and then 2nd the Masters.

Hopefully sports and these major events will take a foothold next year!! I am a member of the USGA and have written my thoughts to them. No sense writing NBC......:eek:

The link to the USGA is incorrect above...try this...

[email protected]

·
AVS Forum Special Member
11,139 Posts
Seems clear NBC isn't delivering the U.S. Open in HDTV. Perhaps by Sept 27-29, when the Ryder Cup is slated for broadcast from England, a method for joint higher-definition coverage could be worked out with the British.

Meanwhile, I'm hoping the NBC coverage of the U.S. Open slated to start Thursday (with earlier ESPN coverage) will come through as good upconverted 480p ATSC (or component). My Time Warner cable system has a 'tenuous' fiber-optic link, for very few TWC subscribers with HD converters, that provides NBC's 480p-upconvert/1080i (after the 9/11 disaster stopped OTA).

Golf via NBC's apparently upconverted 480p ATSC is somewhat superior to NTSC images, as I found last weekend. At the same time CBS was delivering golf as upconverted 1080i, also better than NTSC displays. And curiously, although similar broadcast gear must be used, even the NTSC NBC or CBS weekend coverage via analog cable channels is better than the weekday images of the same golf games via ESPN, or The Golf Channel (digital locally). Weekdays I get the impression there's inadequate bandwidth being used. (Images are 'fuzzier', with fairways and greens sometimes looking like featureless felt material rather than grass). -- John

·
Registered
637 Posts
I'm kinda surprised there hasn't been more discussion on here about the US Open. From my standpoint the image is extra bad. The amount of EE is more extreme than I've seen in a while. There are numerous shots where there is more EE around the ball than there is ball. If they would just tone this down it would help the image tremendously.

Frustrated...

·
AVS Forum Special Member
11,139 Posts
Quote:
The amount of EE is more extreme than I've seen in a while. There are numerous shots where there is more EE around the ball than there is ball.
Interesting. On the 480p I'm receiving (above) I'd have to say there was practically no EE visible. My key measure is how much all the grass blades have been transformed into what looks like weed stems. Spotted very little of that. The richer, more-realistic green hues provided by NBC's 480p was great, as was the extra crispness provided by ~480X704 vs ~NTSC's 480X440. NBC here zooms the image to about 15:9. Did notice some excessive EE when a few of the smaller field cameras were involved. Wish they'd either ban those, crank down the EE, or use only larger cameras with no EE rolled around on some wheeled device--say, The Segway ("It") . -- John

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
I would have liked to seen Sergio give the "bird" to the New York crowds in HDTV. He later tried to say that he was just shaking his fist. Yeah Right.

baimo

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,616 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Aslan
I'm kinda surprised there hasn't been more discussion on here about the US Open.
It's not HDTV & this is the HDTV Forum, that's why.

I usually close or move this type of topic, but once in awhile I let them go.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.