AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to buy an HDTV within 2 weeks, I'd like to play console/computer games on it. How much risk am I at for burning the screen with an image from a game?

·
Registered
348 Posts
If you keep the contrast set low, you will minimize the risk. If the contrast is low, and the game has a reasonable amount of background changes, you should be fine. Otherwise, just don't play for many hours in a row. As long as you are careful, I would not be too worried.

Chris

·
Registered
11 Posts
If you get a 16:9 HDTV RP with a split screen mode you could play games while watching TV and swap screen sides every once in awhile to avoid burn in.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I thought that I read somewhere that you shouldn't play games during a break-in period ( what length ,that period is, is another question )?

------------------

Edward L. Nemil

·
Registered
78 Posts
I thought using split screen mode is not good either.

From what I have heard, you could potentially see

a line in the middle of the screen.

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
It depends a lot on the game, I think. For example a game like "Mortal Kombat" will have "strength" bars for each combatant, and they are always in the same place no matter what the background is doing. Although the strength varies, the border of the bars doesn't.

So, the border could burn in.

That said, my Sony 46" XBR has seen a lot of game use with no perceptible burn. But, it was carefully adjusted with Video Essentials, and isn't running at the "super-bright" setting profile preferred by most retailers.

------------------

Mike Kobb

(Formerly "ReplayMike", but no longer affiliated with the company; these opinions are mine alone.)

·
Registered
101 Posts
It would be nice if the game manufacturer's themselves, rather the the TV manufacturer's, could incorporate some sort of screen saver feature directly into the games themselves. I'm not sure if this is technically possible, but until someone comes up with a way to provide some sort of screen protection burn-in will remain an issue. Having a direct view set as opposed to a rear projection is a help, and lowering setting is also a big help, but nevertheless burn-in will always be a fear until some type of screen saver is incorporated.

------------------

Cobra

·
Registered
3,858 Posts
Like you said, it would be nice, but not feasable. Specially for fighting games and any other game that requires a health bar. A screensaver will only help if I PAUSED the game. A lot of tgames will have issues while playing much less pausing. One thing that a lot of games do when u pause them is they DIM. Maybe they do it for the sake of PRTV owners? Its a more common feature then it was a while back.

------------------

STOP DVI/HDCP!!!!!

·
Registered
9,884 Posts
I haven't worried about it much but it should be possible to use Powerstrip to create a special video resolution for a game that you play a whole lot.

Then every month or so shift the image up/down/sideways a bit. That might help if there were always bright high contrast areas always in the same place.

- Tom

------------------
Getting started with HTPC:
HTPC FAQ , DScaler , Xcel's Links , and
The Anti-DMCA Website .
s>
And Free Dmitri Sklyarovs>

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.