AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Toshiba 43" HD Rear-projection TV, model # 43H70. Will the Xbox cause burn-in on this screen? I am very apprehensive about hooking a device to this TV that may screw the screen up. Are my fears warranted or am I just paranoid?

·
Registered
710 Posts
If you're not careful - yeah - of course it will. Any RPTV that uses CRTs is susceptible to videogames in particular. But as long as you don't leave the game paused on the same image its usually OK. I play games all the time on my RP mits, and its fine - just turn the monitor off if you pause the game and try to avoid games that have static images - stuff that moves the image like racing, sports, ie 90% of games, should be fine.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Do you two even know how television works? Explain to me why TVs are more suceptible to burn in when used with a video game as opposed to watching a DVD? Digital information is being transferred to the screen. Even an analog cable signal would be MUCH more prone to burn in because of the logos that are constantly present. So Im waiting on a response as to why you think video games would put more strain on the TV than a DVD.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
As was stated previously, its video games which feature fixed images at high brightness which can cause burn-in.

------------------

HiDefDave

·
Registered
404 Posts
I guess it really depends on the type of game. I would think fighting games and racing games would be more "dangerous", since they feature status bars that stay on the screen.

What I'm wondering is, do MS or the game makers know about burn-ins and have designs to guard against it?

·
Registered
60 Posts
My Pioneer set has a "Game" setting which dims the brightness of the set. One could also set the brightness and contrast lower when he plays a game.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the replies guys. I know any image can cause burn-in on rptv screens, I just heard that video games are the worst when it comes to that. You guys answered my question though. Thanks again.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Have you ever played a video game? I play them about 10-15 hours a week or MORE, and NONE of them feature fixed bright images.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Videogames are more likely to cause burn-in because computer-generated images are more saturated, in general, than other sources you might watch. Not to say videogames are worse than certain cable channels with fixed graphics like Headline News or Bloomberg or something, but they are definitely the "worst case" when it come to burn-in. Also people a more likely to pause games or leave them unattended and then they'll go to some sort of fixed title screen or game over screen and burn that in as well - something a TV channel tends not to do unless you've got a TIVO http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

This is why most RPTV manuals contain a specific warning about videogames.

But my point to the poster was this warning is mainly for uneducated consumers who can't remember to turn the TV off between games or when they leave the monitor for a long period of time with a game running. If you take some common-sense precautions you can safely play games to your heart's content. But it might be hard to explain burn-in to your kids who want to play Mario or something, so you're taking a bit of a risk...

[This message has been edited by Innerloop (edited 09-24-2001).]

·
Registered
799 Posts
Quote:
Also people a more likely to pause games or leave them unattended and then they'll go to some sort of fixed title screen or game over screen and burn that in as well - something a TV channel tends not to do unless you've got a TIVO
Of course, my Dishplayer (and I assume TIVO also) has a screensaver that kicks in if the image is paused for a few minutes.
Quote:
What I'm wondering is, do MS or the game makers know about burn-ins and have designs to guard against it?
Since the XBox has features that really appeal to RPTV owners (higher res, 16:9 aspect ratio) it would be quite nice to include a screensaver if you pause a game for more than a couple minutes.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.