AVS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Presumably, DTS:X receivers with fully implemented HDCP 2.2 and maybe even full bandwidth HDMI 2.0 will appear later this year.

Does that mean there will be a lot of secondhand Atmos only receivers to look forward to soon?

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
You bet your Ass there will be!:D

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
A glut? No. Not many sensible people are buying an AVR for Atmos, so changes in Atmos won't mean some massive flood of the market. Using Atmos requires some pretty expensive speaker changes so if you're thinking that the cost of an AVR is holding you back then you probably need to dig into the details a little more.

·
Registered
7,480 Posts
My receiver was manufactured 9 years ago. it is an excellent unit that performs flawlessly. It has none of the features mentioned above and that is completely meaningless to me. I get great sound and that is what is meaningful to me. How ridiculous it is to buy a new receiver every time a new feature is announced. It truly boggles my mind. In that 9 years I have replaced all of my speakers (sound upgrade), my TV (old one worn out) and my blu ray players (wanted faster operation and internet connectivity.) But there is no reason at all to change the receiver.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
I seriously doubt it... there aren't that many Atmos-capable receivers to begin with. Most people who are looking for Atmos specifically, will already be well-informed with regards to the implementation (or lack thereof) of HDCP 2.2, so they either bought the receiver knowing its limitations and are willing to live with it, or have held off waiting for the newer models to be released.

·
Registered
19,529 Posts
My receiver was manufactured 9 years ago. it is an excellent unit that performs flawlessly. It has none of the features mentioned above and that is completely meaningless to me. I get great sound and that is what is meaningful to me. How ridiculous it is to buy a new receiver every time a new feature is announced. It truly boggles my mind. In that 9 years I have replaced all of my speakers (sound upgrade), my TV (old one worn out) and my blu ray players (wanted faster operation and internet connectivity.) But there is no reason at all to change the receiver.
You're doing it right. When you need or want to upgrade, pick the best gear available at the time, at a price you can afford. Then use it until it breaks, wears out, or is hopelessly outdated. To get the full Atmos experience, I'd need to replace most if not all of my 500 HD DVD's and Blu Rays - never mind the receiver. I might as well wait 5 years for everything to be on 4K Blu Ray and replace everything at once ! In the mean time, I'm loving 11.2 channel surround with my 4520.

That said, if I was ready to buy a new receiver and speakers today, I'd have no problem getting an Atmos capable receiver and speakers. Who knows how long it will take 4K Blu Ray to gain traction.

·
Registered
27,706 Posts
If your receiver is 9 years old, does it even have HDMI or do lossless audio?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts