AVS Forum banner

41 - 52 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Will FCC eventually sell all the bandwidth? They are like a junkie selling home furniture. ;)
Probably not. Especially since there will be money to be made with the web based targeted ads. It seems a lot of telecommunication companies have signed on for it.

I'm in the Detroit market, they wouldn't have spent a ton of money to upgrade their transmissions for nothing (ATSC 3.0).

I think free TV is safe until they wire all the rural areas with broadband.

·
Registered
3,847 Posts
Will FCC eventually sell all the bandwidth? They are like a junkie selling home furniture. ;)
The FCC has to do what Congress orders it to do. In the case of Repack, Congress was influenced by special commercial interests.

·
Registered
22,141 Posts
Probably not. Especially since there will be money to be made with the web based targeted ads. It seems a lot of telecommunication companies have signed on for it.
They can do the same with streaming. A commercial/ad is a commercial/ad no matter the medium.

Hypothetical:
If local broadcaster WZZH can stream the same channels/content via broadband (roku, fire, apple etc.) for free, why go to the expense (hardware/maintenance/staff/towers) of continuing OTA?

If many manufacturers don't want to supply the home consumers with antennas and most home consumers don't want to go through the effort/expense of installation (ugly antenna on MY roof!).... it's a dying breed.

It was easier when I was a youngun and only had to worry about 4 VHF channels. :)

Reactions: nathill

·
Registered
53 Posts
If many manufacturers don't want to supply the home consumers with antennas and most home consumers don't want to go through the effort/expense of installation (ugly antenna on MY roof!).... it's a dying breed.
You are basically describing the last 20 years or so with the advent of digital satellite, then most TV antennas were taken down. Now Satellites are almost extinct, with high speed internet, people are streaming most content and TV antennas are going up again for the locals.

I don't see this dying. People still like the local news, until everyone is wired for broadband. I was reading a story on how many customers that traditional Cable companies are losing... granted most of it is probably to streaming, some are putting up Antennas as well (if reception is a possibility).

I don't see one satellite dish in my neighbourhood but many have put up small directional antennas. Cutting the cord, streaming and OTA Locals is a thing. And, we're not seeing the PingBingDingDong cheap indoor antennas some are using. Even if they get 3 stations, they can watch the local news.

·
Registered
22,141 Posts
Nah.... over 40 years. CableTV killed OTA. Then DBS satellite. Now the internet.
It's only a matter of time IMO.

LOL!
More PingBingDingDong indoor and outdoor antennas are being marketed/sold today using the "well known names" of antenna manufacturers that died a slow death.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Nah.... over 40 years. CableTV killed OTA. Then DBS satellite. Now the internet.

LOL!
More PingBingDingDong indoor and outdoor antennas are being marketed/sold today using the "well known names" of antenna manufacturers that died a slow death.
If OTA died so badly, why am I still watching? All of my cheap friends are as well. It never died, it's still around. If ATSC 3.0 actually has a wide release, there will be more antennas on the roof. Most likely, they will just be smaller.

·
Registered
22,141 Posts
I never said it is has "died". I stated, it's "a dying breed".
I have been using a "real" CM4228 (not a PingBingDingDong brand) since ~2002. I also subscribe to FiOS for TV.

Time will tell if ATSC3 will create an antenna shortage. When that happens (perhaps), I'll humbly say that you were correct. ;)

·
Registered
53 Posts
I never said it is has "died". I stated, it's "a dying breed".
I have been using a "real" CM4228 (not a PingBingDingDong brand) since ~2002. I also subscribe to FiOS for TV.

Time will tell if ATSC3 will create an antenna shortage. When that happens (perhaps), I'll humbly say that you were correct. ;)
Nah.... over 40 years. CableTV killed OTA.
You never said it has "died", but you said it had been killed?

Semantics here, but nobody knows at this point. My antenna is not going anywhere. If they shut it off in 2030 I'll do something else. ATSC 3.0 is alive right now so it's up to the hardware people to start putting in the tuners, in more new TV sets.

·
Registered
22,141 Posts
You are basically describing the last 20 years or so with the advent of digital satellite, then most TV antennas were taken down.
Not semantics. OTA had been on life support since cabletv and satellite.
ATSC created a resurrection 20 years ago for OTA for awhile since cable and DBS was late for HD provision/programming.

ATSC3 is not the second coming. Many HOA's prohibit outdoor antennas (no matter the size).
Folks want convenience in 2021. Ask Siri or Alexa.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Many HOA's prohibit outdoor antennas (no matter the size).
Folks want convenience in 2021. Ask Siri or Alexa.
I'm sure most won't have to worry about the restriction that they cannot legally enforce (in the USA). I'm not afluent enough to be subjected to a HOA here in Canada. I'm a working class guy.

What does this have to do with 5G and LTE interference?

·
Registered
22,141 Posts
What does this have to do with 5G and LTE interference?
Nothing at all..... enjoy.
And now, back to our regular programming.

41 - 52 of 52 Posts