AVS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this gets asked every few months, but I'm on the market for a new projector and am not sure if I should hold out for a new Panny or pick up the 8000u.

·
Registered
16,944 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithj101  /t/1521722/will-there-be-a-new-panasonic#post_24459384

I know this gets asked every few months, but I'm on the market for a new projector and am not sure if I should hold out for a new Panny or pick up the 8000u.

IMO, neither. Why are you limiting yourself to Panasonic?

·
Registered
21,464 Posts
I don't expect one any time soon if at all.

The segment for front projectors is declining and Panasonic basically does not sell it to normal dealers at competitive pricing. So one or two dealers dominate Panasonic projector sales and others don't sell it because they would have to sell it below their cost. This means you can't see it anywhere and most sales people will not recommend it. So that doesn't help generate large sales numbers. Panels are dirt cheap being under $1000 for say a 60 incher. Maybe not great quality but the general public doesn't care. Panasonic is not doing all that well and neither is Sony although Sony projectors will keep coming as a spin off from its professional machines. The market will be dominated and is being dominated by Korean and Chinese manufacturers who have a significant labor cost advantage.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe  /t/1521722/will-there-be-a-new-panasonic#post_24459432

IMO, neither. Why are you limiting yourself to Panasonic?

I'm mostly sticking with the Panasonic for the price and the Game mode. I'd love the new Epson but have heard mixed things about the lag time with games and the softened picture when in the "fast mode". I'm probably 50/50 with games and movies.

·
Registered
16,944 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithj101  /t/1521722/will-there-be-a-new-panasonic#post_24461623

I'm mostly sticking with the Panasonic for the price and the Game mode. I'd love the new Epson but have heard mixed things about the lag time with games and the softened picture when in the "fast mode". I'm probably 50/50 with games and movies.

One of the sales guys or someone like Mark above can give better advice than me, but if you are using a 1.78 screen (and don't need the lens memory of the Panny) I would consider a Sony as well which is generally considered a better projector vs the Panasonic, has low lag time and is good all around. That is what I would be looking at in your shoes assuming you are using a 1.78 screen and don't need lens memory.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe  /t/1521722/will-there-be-a-new-panasonic#post_24461648

One of the sales guys or someone like Mark above can give better advice than me, but if you are using a 1.78 screen (and don't need the lens memory of the Panny) I would consider a Sony as well which is generally considered a better projector vs the Panasonic, has low lag time and is good all around. That is what I would be looking at in your shoes assuming you are using a 1.78 screen and don't need lens memory.

I agree that the Sony is a better picture, but the price difference is what keeps me with the Panasonic.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts