AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Rock, Vigatec, and NR are now mature products. They've been out long enough that I assume that upgrades aren't occurring on a weekly basis. So it's time for another shootout.

This time, the review should compare the current versions of those products (and Leeza and other contenders, if available). without any of the "you don't have the latest version" and " this will be corrected within a week" nonsense that made the first Tommyboy2 review less than definitive. I don't know who is qualified and has the time and desire to do it, but it's almost impossible for the average person to perform a valid comparison, so this would be a major service. Tommyboy2 did a great job with the first review, but it took FOREVER, and followups were slow as well, so I'm guessing that Tom is either extremely slow moving or has a life outside home theater, although I'm sure that getting the review units delivered on a timely basis was part of the problem.

The review should include multiple display types - D-ILA, 7" and 9" CRT, plasma.

I personally am going to have to make a video scaler/processor decision within the next couple of months, so a shootout would give me a lot of information that I desperately need.

Craig

·
Premium Member
16,962 Posts
Craig

The market is changing so fast its hard to keep up with it.

I would not trust any shootout unless done by someone reputable an outsider with no retail/manufacture/resale ties within the industry.

Someone like Stacy that can provide measurement results not just based on visual hearsay and I'm sure something like this would take a lot of time to do properly .

You did not mention a HTPC so I guess that is out of the question.

Of the 3 big players that come to mind I would ask yourself what's important to you.

Do you want a completely digital video chain, sdi input and DVI output than get the Leeza.

Do you want to scale HDTV and have the option of SDI input than get the Vigatec.

Do you want a user friendly scaler with loads of features as well as sdi than get the Rock.

All the above mentioned scalers are so close in the deinterlacing department that it comes down to features and which one fits the bill for your needs.

·
Banned
1,400 Posts
You left out the Faroudja, which is not close to any of the above 3 in deinterlacing, it far exceeds them. I sold my NR so, I am not here to bash, so let me add:

If you watch a lot of sports, cable tv and dss and want the best motion deinterlacing available on the market, then get the Faroudja.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm interested in knowing how much better Faroudja is at deinterlacing, and how much difference I would actually see. I've ordered the Kenwood M9500 (?) changer, which uses a Faroudja chip for deinterlacing, so it would be nice to be able to feed the 480p to the scaler, which I guess Vigatec can accept but not the others. Another issue that I think is important is that I'd like to be able to expand a 4:3 image to 16:9 a la Pioneer Elite Natural Wide mode, which I'm not sure any of the scalers do exactly.

I'm certainly willing to do some legwork to view various scalers in action but despair of being able to find dealers who can demonstrate. I'm in northern California (Santa Cruz area, but willing to drive a ways). Does anyone have a suggestion where I might be able to see one or more of these scalers?

Craig

·
Registered
842 Posts
"...so I'm guessing that Tom is either extremely slow moving..."

Now thats a first - you've obviously never met me!! :)

I didn't post an update since I'm now in the business.

Nonetheless, here is the short of it:

Faroudja NR DILA - still had ringing and Y/C delay. The red moth eaten effect was improved using DVD animation, however, this mode also worsend the Y/C delay. Overall, I was being picky and expected more from Faroudja.

Vigatec - Added OSD and better remote. Also added Sil504, however, there was little improvement in the deinterlacing over the Sil503. So, the Vig moved up a notch in useabilty and held its ground in deinteralcing/scaling.

Rock+ - Well, I posted that a while ago.

Now excuse me while I get back to sleep at my keyboard!

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Tom:

What a quick reply!

So you've already evaluated newer versions of all three. I guess the answer was Option 3 - He's a man of high moral principles who wants to avoid the appearence of conflict of interest.

I'd like to hear your capsule comparisons, if you're comfortable with that. How do you rank the three for deinterlacing and overall image quality and usablility, as of your last testing?

By the way, now that you're in the business, what business is it, anyway? Do you develop, sell, or install - and where?

Craig

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.