AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There's a lot more HD on my local cable than over the antenna. We have five local channels in Austin. In addition to the broadcast channels, there's about two dozen or so commercial (non-premium) HD channels from my local cable box. But HD cable is expensive, especially with an hd-DVR. Other than the premium channels (which cost even more), all of these channels also have tons of commercials.


Do you think there will be a boom in broadcast HD when Feb '09 rolls around and all channels are in HD? The savings could be funneled into more blu-ray discs and buying my own HD-DVR. Given what I'm spending on cable, seems like a reasonable thing to consider if there is a broadcast HD boom.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
48,895 Posts
What kind of "boom" are you expecting?


Virtually every prime time scripted show is now on HD, and reality competitions are following.


Network sports is almost universally in HD, and by the middle of next year just about every network news broadcast will be, too.


Syndication is following a little more slowly, but Oprah will lead the troops this fall and she will be joined by many other shows.


So, again, what broadcast HD boom might you be hoping for?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,004 Posts
Very little syndication is HD, and even if it is many smaller market local stations don't have the equipment to record the satellite feed in HD. Very little smaller market local news is HD. ABC's entire late night lineup is SD. Only Letterman is in HD on CBS late night. Poker After Dark on NBC is SD. CW, MYTV, and even FOX in a few small markets is only available in SD. In fact outside of prime time my only HD choice is usually PBS! I never thought I would watch so much PBS. I too am hoping for an HD boom!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,114 Posts
Half-full, half-empty ... take your pick.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
48,895 Posts
Leno has been in HD for years.


But it sounds to me like you have a major complaint to make to your local stations -- most or all of which, I assume, are not owned locally.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by vurbano /forum/post/14271598


No, the february cutoff has zero affect on the amount of HD you will have.

Independent of the Feb '09 cutoff -- I think HDTV broadcast changes the cable/broadcast equation in several ways.


First off, HDTV broadcasts are usually very high quality, comparable or better than the best HD cable signals, unless bit rates are starved due to subchannels.


Second, HDTV needs less transmission power.


Perhaps this will give a resurgence to the broadcast TV model. Ideally, maybe we'lll see an increase in the number of HD broadcast channels, with some previously cable only channels switching to a cable+broadcasting model.


One can always hope ....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,114 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by barth2k /forum/post/14273868


there'll be a boom alright -- of SD subchannels!

I doubt that there'll be a totally unchecked subchannel boom.


There are infrastructure costs involved, plus you're going to have to come up with content you (and the advertisers) think people will watch. That's also going to cost you. Yeah, I know, you could do a 24-hour infomercial channel, but do you really think anyone is going to watch? And, more importantly, do the people who make and buy time for paid programming think anyone is going to watch? Or are viewers just going to delete it from their remotes and not even flip past it?


There'll be some subs, sure. But it'll be just like anything else -- some will last, some (like The Tube) won't.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
865 Posts
Hasn't the FCC not accepted new channel applications for something like 10 years now? After the transition there should be more available channels, even with the removal of 52-69
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17,553 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vurbano /forum/post/14271598


No, the february cutoff has zero affect on the amount of HD you will have.

Maybe not zero, but pretty close.


Most stations and productions that will be HD by that point, probably already have plans to be so. Don't forget, this only affects OTA stations. So, if Univision plans to go HD then, they plan to do so now.


Stations are already broadcasting on their digital channel, so it's not like they have to go out and buy new gear come next year. This requires no change to what they are doing now.


Now, perhaps a year after the change, when more digital TV viewers start realizing the potential of HD, they'll start demanding more programs that are currently SD be shown in HD. However, that relies on this people having HD sets, and not just SD digital sets (or analog sets with converters). It also won't affect anyone who sticks with SD satellite or cable.


Hmmmmm. Come to think of it, maybe Vurbano is right on, here.


**Dang, that's like the 3rd time in a year we've agreed on something. Maybe the apocalypse is near....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,130 Posts
Syndication and locally produced HD content will ramp up as the transition approaches.


For example, today I noticed that KLAS in Las Vegas (a mid-sized market) produced an HD special "UNLV Rebels Down Under" chronicling Rebels basketball summer tour of Australia.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,249 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredfa /forum/post/14270770


and by the middle of next year just about every network news broadcast will be, too.

As far as KDFW in Dallas goes, I'll take some of that action. They just last year upgraded their control room to a brand spanking new SD outfit. They were the last in color in the 70's and the last to provide MTS stereo on the 80's.


I'm not holding my breath. Once they go HD local, we will have the big 4 all covered.


KDFW is a Fox O/O
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17,553 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mp3trojan /forum/post/14276391


As far as KDFW in Dallas goes, I'll take some of that action. They just last year upgraded their control room to a brand spanking new SD outfit. They were the last in color in the 70's and the last to provide MTS stereo on the 80's.


I'm not holding my breath. Once they go HD local, we will have the big 4 all covered.


KDFW is a Fox O/O

He said network, not local news. The network news WILL pretty much all be HD by next year. Whether you local station airs any HD at all is irrelevent. It's being sent by the network in HD, or will be by then.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17,553 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeLV /forum/post/14276168


Syndication and locally produced HD content will ramp up as the transition approaches.

But that has nothing to do with the transition. It just means shows planning to go HD end up going HD. Only the top markets have any real chance of producing content in HD themselves. Once you get over market 75, it's a good bet that the digital SD stuff the stations have now is all they'll get for at least the next decade. Above market 100, it will probably be longer. Above market 150, and you probably don't even have hope of seeing nationally syndicated shows in HD since just buying an HD deck or HD pathfire system won't find any return on investment.


On the syndication front, Oprah and many other talk shows already have plans to go HD. The transition has nothing to do with it. It has more to do with more people buying HD sets and more channels going HD. Most of the people being affected by the changeover won't have HD sets. They'll be using SD converter boxes. They won't see the shows in HD.


Also, a lot of syndicated stuff airs on cable networks, meaning the transition won't affect them at all.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,130 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetworkTV /forum/post/14276504


But that has nothing to do with the transition. It just means shows planning to go HD end up going HD. Only the top markets have any real chance of producing content in HD themselves. Once you get over market 75, it's a good bet that the digital SD stuff the stations have now is all they'll get for at least the next decade. Above market 100, it will probably be longer. Above market 150, and you probably don't even have hope of seeing nationally syndicated shows in HD since just buying an HD deck or HD pathfire system won't find any return on investment.


On the syndication front, Oprah and many other talk shows already have plans to go HD. The transition has nothing to do with it. It has more to do with more people buying HD sets and more channels going HD. Most of the people being affected by the changeover won't have HD sets. They'll be using SD converter boxes. They won't see the shows in HD.


Also, a lot of syndicated stuff airs on cable networks, meaning the transition won't affect them at all.

They have HD local news in DMA #110, Reno, NV.


Even all the way down at DMA #171 you have over 100,000 TV households.


Obviously it's probably not cost effective to do much of anything when you get all they way down to the 3,890 households in DMA #210, Glendive, MT, but I think most stations will eventually be capable of HD syndication and at least rudimentary local news productions.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,893 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dline /forum/post/14275355


... Yeah, I know, you could do a 24-hour infomercial channel, but do you really think anyone is going to watch? And, more importantly, do the people who make and buy time for paid programming think anyone is going to watch? Or are viewers just going to delete it from their remotes and not even flip past it?

The big advantage of infomercials, for both the advertiser and the station, is that the amount paid is usually based on the number of responses received. Each station has a specific telephone number, so when someone calls that number they log one response for the infomercial at that specific station. Lots of responses gets the station lots of $$$. Few responses and they get little.


It wouldn't cost anything (except for possibly degraded quality) to have an all informercial sub-channel, so anything made would be all profits.


Infomercials MUST be paying off. Have you tuned around the channels at 2 am? A very large percentage of both broadcast and cable channels at that time are airing infomercials. Two of our local stations broadcast infomercials over 50% of the time instead of airing regular shows with commercial breaks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dline; /forum/post/0


KDFW in Dallas ... just last year upgraded their control room to a brand spanking new SD outfit.

Now that was a well planned move! Any station upgrading at this point in time should go HD, or they're just wasting their money. Sounds like they'll be SD for quite a while. It's too bad, because people in the area have no choice for getting the programming from any other source (FOX in this case) and HD, as we all know is SO MUCH BETTER!


Larry

SF
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14,422 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Kenney /forum/post/14277910


Any station upgrading at this point in time should go HD, or they're just wasting their money.

Most switchers will do either SD or HD. Sign of the times. Only really, really cheap switchers will do SD only. When we updated our master control from analog to digital last year we installed it as SD. To upgrade it to HD, when we have some HD to run besides network, all we have to do is plug in the HD cards and it is a HD switcher. Do you consider that a waste of money and not well planned?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,893 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetworkTV /forum/post/14276504


On the syndication front, Oprah and many other talk shows already have plans to go HD. The transition has nothing to do with it.

Oprah's timing may have more to do with needing a wider screen. It's getting a bit tight for her in 4:3.
 
1 - 20 of 47 Posts
Top