AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
it's nice having a large finished basement, but heating ducts and other quirks have me a little boxed in as far how i can arrange the room.

i may have to run Breakout cable to my LT150 as far as 25'.

should i avoid this, and redo the layout to use a shorter cable?

what should i top off at as far as length goes?

thanks

·
Registered
117 Posts
I have a 25' "VGA extension" cable attached to a 6' VGA-BNC breakout cable and that's working fine.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I have a 6-foot BNC to VGA breakout cable to a Female hd15 connector soldered to a 2 foot pigtail of Cat 5 shielded cable teminated on a Cat 5 shielded patch panel. From there, I have a 27 foot Cat 5 shielded cable to a male hd15 connector plugged into my new LT150. Jumpered together with a 3 foot Cat 5 shielded patch cable. The Image from my Tosh 6200 is as clear as when I had it next to the LT150 with only the breakout cable. I Think if you buy a good quality cable or make a quality cable, you should be fine. Good Luck!

------------------

Patrick Simon

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks for the replies, everybody.

i assumed that this was just one cable, but it sounds like i should be shopping for a bnc to vga and just use a large vga extension?

any large mailorder computer retailer should carry this, right?

Bob: yeah, i'm wavering back and forth with going HTPC ( i read your 'rocket science degree' post on the Big Picture forum, but since i'd feel i'd have to get up to speed with the Win OS first (coming solely from a Mac world), i'd much rather just go with a progressive scan right now.

Patrick: how do you like the picture from the 6200 w/ the LT150?

i'm waiting on feedback about the Kenwoods, but this player is still on my short list.

·
Registered
88 Posts
ckolchak,

I am very pleased with the 6200 and LT150 combo, I really did not want to go the HTPC route and with this combo I am more than satisfied with the picture.

------------------

Patrick Simon

·
Registered
6,225 Posts
See this thread for an economical homemade alternative:
http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/Forum10/HTML/006683.html

For the record, I'm using a 48' homemade cable using this technique, with HD15s at each end, on a NEC VT540 projector. I have compared test patterns in the AVIA DVD between this cable and the 2m cable that shipped with the projector, and I see no visible signal degradation. I spent $40 total for this cable.

Gary

·
Premium Member
4,177 Posts
It is strongly recommended to use a single run of cable. You should even be OK with 50 feet - just make sure it's one continuous run. Try to keep the connector intervals down as much as possible (ie passthroughs, switches, extensions, etc).

------------------

Thanks,

Mark Rejhon
www.marky.com/hometheater
Lead Software Engineer for The TAW ROCK

·
Registered
16,014 Posts
ckolchak,

Many of us have discovered (including me) that where we do have problems is in trying to use an extension. It's usually always resulted in "ghosting" for me. The signal loss is much more likely when you add junctions rather than when you run one length of longer cable. You can buy bnc to rca adapters at Radio Shack which work well and are inexpensive.

p.s. Up until the time I posted that "rocket science degree" comment I had been running my first HTPC with virtually no problems. That must have been dumb luck because after that I "upgraded" several times and have now experienced a whole lot of troubles trying to keep the things running smoothly. While I still use one (the picture is still worth the struggle for me) I'm not as big on recommending them as I once was.

Bob

------------------

~ The Sultan of Cheap ~

·
Registered
363 Posts
I am using an 8m breakout and it works fine...

Milesf>

------------------

My System Config

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.