AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was thinkin bout this the other day.. can there ever be anything better than hd? maybe higher definition? lol.. but if we keep increasing resolution higher than 1920x1080 will it even be a noticible difference? or just allow for bigger screens?

chris

·
Registered
10,200 Posts
I think we'll be "stuck" with 1080p for both prerecorded and broadcast content for a long time. There's too much infrastructure investment---it needs to be amortized over a long time.

·
Registered
897 Posts
The Japanese have created
UHDV , which has a resolution of 16 times higher than 1080i. Its still in the lab though, as the massive amounts of data it creates is way beyond any current technology. To get 18 minutes of recording time, they needed 3500 GB of storage

It sounds cool, but there's a catch. When people watch moving video on it, they often get sick. The picture is so real that the brain thinks you are moving, but there is no physical indication of movement.

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
I suspect some sort of super HD standard will be cranked out around 2020 or so. Unlikely to be any sooner... 1920 x 1080 is with us for decades to come, regardless.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by AnthonyP
ever? yes

soon? no
Currently, HD has 1920 horizontal lines of resolution. The highest quality 35 mm motion film masters roll off in resolution between 3K and 4K lines of resolution.

If the we were to double the current horizontal resolution of HD to 3840, there would be very little current content that could actually utilize all of it. However, it would be nice to try :)

Glenn

·
Registered
9,769 Posts
how about MDHD (Mack Daddy High Definition tm)

it exactly 100 times better than regular 1080p

It's so real, you vomit instantly ;)

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
The highest quality 35 mm motion film masters roll off in resolution between 3K and 4K lines of resolution.

glenn

with the emphasis "The highest quality 35 mm motion film masters "

yes.

ti some years back check how much cr. and resolution you found in a

normally cinema.

cr. around 1000:1 some times even below 700:1.

resolution 1000 lines.

really good hd can be better than a average 35 mm film but some reference 35 mm copy's are much better than this but

where you can see it?

·
Registered
17,711 Posts
Glen, I don't get your point or why you quoted me.

for me there are two simple rules

1) people always want something better

2) telling people that something is better is a good way to get them to upgrade

Most stuff today is not HD yet, so the world is not ready to upgrade. Sooner or latter everything will be HD and a bit after that happens manufacturers and all will tell us that we need the next level. (and I think resolution is one place where things can still improve.

Do you have a digital camera? when did you buy it and how many MPs? do you ever take a pic at lower resolution?

·
Registered
393 Posts
One thing, HD has 1920 VERTICAL lines not Horizontal, it has 1k Horizontal, and I'm pretty sure the film is Horizontal, so this UHDV is just trying to match the resolution of very high quality film.

Sounds like something you'd see in a movie theater someday, I'd guess probably alot sooner than 2020 for movie theaters too.

·
Premium Member
25,537 Posts
"Currently, HD has 1920 horizontal lines of resolution."

"One thing, HD has 1920 VERTICAL lines not Horizontal, it has 1k Horizontal, "

It's 1920 vertical lines of horizontal resolution, and 1080 horizontal lines of vertical resolution.

·
Registered
5,445 Posts
UHDV is roughly 8kx4k bayer pattern I think to pretending like it is 8kx4k rgb pixels. Using four 4kx2k panels, two green channels with one red and one blue this is realized.

·
Registered
23,188 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by xris2o0o
i was thinkin bout this the other day.. can there ever be anything better than hd? maybe higher definition? lol.. but if we keep increasing resolution higher than 1920x1080 will it even be a noticible difference? or just allow for bigger screens?
I think it will be a long time for home, but not for professional cinema. I would just be happy with less compression at 1080p and more of it. And given a choice of 1080p content on a 2160p projector or 2160p content on a 1080p projector I might take the first. My guess is that the higher resolution projectors will be available before the higher resolution source (from 1080p), but we'll see.

--Darin

·
Registered
4,076 Posts
I'm not holding my breath waiting for High-Def DVD. The problem is that we on the upper end of screen size and resolution (for the home) are irrelevant to the mass market and the mass market is very satisfied with DVD as it exists now. On top of this, the makers and owners of content are hugely reluctant to put it out in master-level resolution.

The technology for much higher resolution DVD is basically here or will be shortly. But the driving force for widespread adoption? Hard for me to see it. Look how long that crappy VHS was around. Look at how DVD audio is NOT taking off. The masses are quite happy with the existing CD format. Ditto for DVD movies. I think the transfer technology will continue to improve and maybe we'll see more superbit implementation but I don't see the kind of global shift to High Def DVD that we saw in the transition from VHS to standard DVD.

I think we'll have the opportunity to absolutely maximize the quality of our existing sources with better (higher resolution) projectors and more sophisticated video processors a lot sooner than we get High Def DVD. I don't expect HDTV to go any further in my lifetime and indeed I'll be thrilled if it just gets generally implemented.

FWIW, all IMHO of course.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
UHDV sounds kinda interesting.. I wasnt hoping for anythign better in the near future.. i just meant whenever.. but should be interesting to see what comes about in the future..

chris

·
Registered
864 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by rogo
I suspect some sort of super HD standard will be cranked out around 2020 or so. Unlikely to be any sooner... 1920 x 1080 is with us for decades to come, regardless.
Hmm, I suspect things will move a little faster than that. TV and film have been the driving force, but soon they will be following behind things driven by the internet and telecommunication industries.

One of my favorite books is 'The Age of Spiritual Machines' by Ray Kurzweil. It is five years old now, but I think its predictions for 2020 are still appropriate. Quoting one of its predictions, "High-resolution, three-dimensional visual and auditory reality and realistic all-encompassing tactile environments enable people to do virtually anything with anybody, regardless of physical proximity." Sounds a lot closer to the 'holodeck' than to 1920 x 1080.

Duane

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.