AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are TVs ever gonna have "Apps" like cell phones? And if so, is there ever gonna be something like AdBlock Plus? It would be great if it could know when to automatically mute the volume and blank out the screen until the show or game is back on.

·
Registered
902 Posts
An app like that of some sort would be nearly impossible to implement if done so by a third-source party (as with most apps created from third-party). However, this is a possibility if the app was done SPECIFICALLY by the service provider (so if it were DirectTV app, it won't work with Comcast)

Since an app like this has to be "timed" accordingly, the provider would provide the necessary time. Implementing this in real-time is another perspective to look at, as this would also be a time consuming manner for hundreds of channels.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Instead of 6 commercials playing I would rather just have a muted screen that said show will resume in [ Live Timer Clock Shown ] until the show comes back on.

Commercials ARE really annoying and sometimes blaring loud.

Ones I cant stand are....

21st century guy.

Flo from progressive.

AT&T screaming spider.

TaxMasters serious bearded guy.

BlueTax.

Hughes Net.

And I could list alot more!!!

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
Be real guys. If there is some supertech machine intelligence which has capability of human brain to remove commercials (and surely such tech will come at some point) where the money comes from for programs?

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
No, there is not going to be a TV app that does this. There are already apps that do this if you record to Windows Media Center, however, since a PC can process programming and rid you of commercials.

·
Registered
3,926 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogo /forum/post/20851944

No, there is not going to be a TV app that does this. There are already apps that do this if you record to Windows Media Center, however, since a PC can process programming and rid you of commercials.

So what's the problem to put PC equivalent processing power into TV and do the same? If this is not possible now it will be in the next couple of years. The problem is this would change the logic of TV business. This is business is anyway in decline, eliminating ads would speed this up. What would be then remaining is youtube or other tubes videos made by amateurs

·
Registered
8,534 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hughh /forum/post/20852747

Geez guys, that's what DVRs are for! Been using them for umpteen years. Record and watch whatever you want, whenever you want and skip over the commercials...simple!

While I use my DVR quite a bit, it is not always convenient to record certain programming. There are times we want to watch something in real time. Having said that, since commercials pay the bills, no commercial deleting app is likely.

·
Registered
2,442 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyboy /forum/post/20852970

While I use my DVR quite a bit, it is not always convenient to record certain programming. There are times we want to watch something in real time. Having said that, since commercials pay the bills, no commercial deleting app is likely.

I think I haven't watch anything "live" on TV since since I heard on radio a report about a fire in one of the two towers in NYC, switching then to TV...on 9/11.

Such is my aversion to commercials...

·
Registered
6,242 Posts
I record a lot of stuff, but I like to watch sports in "real time." Makes me mad that they black out the Indy 500 here in Indianapolis and show it later that evening. That's why I go to my wife's sister's house in southern Indiana and watch it on a Louisville station.

·
Registered
2,442 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoilerJim /forum/post/20853642

I record a lot of stuff, but I like to watch sports in "real time." Makes me mad that they black out the Indy 500 here in Indianapolis and show it later that evening. That's why I go to my wife's sister's house in southern Indiana and watch it on a Louisville station.

I never realized they would black out the Indy 500 at home. What the hell...I'd be ready to throw rocks at someone :)-

Back in the days when SpeedTv started carrying Formula One live, I found the coverage so pitiful, I used to wake up at around 4 or 5 in the morning for the European races so I could locate the live feed on my 10' BUD and watch everything they never showed on Speed. Also, the video and sound from the feed over the BUD was far superior to the telecast. Those days are gone and the present telecast has really improved. The negative, other than having to wake-up so early was having to put-up with the Japanese announcers covering the race..."hay, Chumaka..."etc. but, it was always commercial free :)-

·
Registered
32,172 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by irkuck /forum/post/20852068

So what's the problem to put PC equivalent processing power into TV and do the same? If this is not possible now it will be in the next couple of years. The problem is this would change the logic of TV business. This is business is anyway in decline, eliminating ads would speed this up. What would be then remaining is youtube or other tubes videos made by amateurs

So far few TVs have enough processing power to run Netflix as well as a $60 Roku, so I'm not super worried about a TV having this kind of power. Also, it requires going through a recording of the program, and most TVs don't have built in DVRs (and in the US thanks to the cable monopolies probably never will).

Finally, a TV mfr. allowing an app that did this on a TV would forever earn the wrath of the entire broadcast industry. No one is going to take that step.

I know you were joking, but I'm explaining why I don't see it happening anyway. It could've been done already.

·
Registered
23,234 Posts
Commercials are revenue. They will not go away, nor will they be blocked.

if one wants to push the envelope, stop adverts and previews on DVD's that can't be skipped.

·
Registered
2,442 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratman /forum/post/20854643

Commercials are revenue. They will not go away, nor will they be blocked.

if one wants to push the envelope, stop adverts and previews on DVD's that can't be skipped.

When we used to live in Iceland and later, Turkey, the TV commercials would start around 5 PM or so. They would play nothing but commercials for about a whole hour and then in Iceland they would have the news followed by commercial free programming. In Turkey, they used to follow the news with one for of Folk (Turkish) dancing and then commercial free programming. Both places, TV received grants from the government...

That was waaay back in the early and mid 70's. I am positive things are different now.

·
Registered
234 Posts
this is why I do not watch tv or sat. After ten minutes of widgets and channel popups I fight the urge to take my baseball bat to it. Previews on dvds I do not see either. I start the movie and turn everything else on 20 minutes later.

·
Registered
2,442 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan Young /forum/post/20854821

this is why I do not watch tv or sat. After ten minutes of widgets and channel popups I fight the urge to take my baseball bat to it. Previews on dvds I do not see either. I start the movie and turn everything else on 20 minutes later.

Just make sure to post the video on U-tube!

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
there's interruption in sync signal between TV program -> commercials -> back to TV program. This “interruption” was successfully used in number of old analog VHS VCR's... the VCR would go into rec pause effectively removing all commercials... there were little flaws but in general those machines worked okay.

there's another fact about commercial that could be used.... the sound, when the commercials start, have midrange spectrum (voice, around 300 - 600Hz) vastly boosted (this is the reason why all commercials sound "loud"). This could also be used to trigger screen blanking... of course, TV stations would be all over such TV's as soon as they are released.

Boky

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.