AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to complete a system for my den and having a bit of trouble picking out a receiver. I purchased 3 M&K K-7 speakers for the front (needed small speakers to go on shelves for the fronts). I really love the sound from them considering the size, but they are 4 ohm speakers. Will I have trouble tripping the protection circuitry of a typical amp? I was hoping to stay in the $300-$400 range for the receiver in this room, but I obviously don't want any issues. Anyone with experience in this area?

For those not familiar, the K-7 is basically a satellite with a pair of 4" cones and a 1" tweeter per speaker. I'm hoping they won't be a problem for the amps I've been looking at (HK 130, HK 230, Yamaha 540, 650, Onkyo 501, etc.) If not, I'm thinking of stepping up to maybe one of the Sony ES recievers (DA4ES, or 1000/2000 if I can't find a 4ES still around).

I'll be filling out the rest of the system with a sub (probably an M&K V-75) and surrounds (in walls, again - likely M&K). Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Banned
3,181 Posts
i would not run a $400 receiver into speakers that are rated at 4 ohms....

i am not aware of any receiver under $1000 that can handle a speaker with a 4 ohm impedance....

you might be ok until you turn up the volume.....

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If I recall correctly the Sony 1000 ES will and can be had for around $600. Also, something I found interesting while browsing through the Denon PDF user manuals on their site (this was even on their lower end 1604): The manual says that "speakers with an impedance of 6 to 16 ohms may be used" but later it says that the protection may kick in after long periods at high volumes with speakers lower than 4 ohms. Well which is it, 4 or 6? doh!

·
Registered
720 Posts
I have your solution! I am currently driving (4) Polk LSi15s and (1) Polk LSiC speaker, all 4-ohms, off a new HK AVR230 receiver. I bought the receiver to use as a pre/pro and will be getting an amplifier for the speakers soon, but for the time being I'm using it to power them. Let me tell you, I am IMPRESSED with this receiver. I've had high end Sony ESs, Onkyos and a Rotel and this HK is by far my favorite receiver so far. I can BLAST my speakers for hours on end and this receiver will not shut down. These speakers are MUCH MUCH MUCH larger than the ones you will be powering, and they aren't sensitive at all (88db). They will take 200 watts RMS which I'm sure is more than yours and the AVR230 pushes them pretty well.

The sound at high volumues isn't harsh or pushed, yet very refined and detailed. My speakers have a 1" tweeter, dual 5.25" mid-bass and midrange, and an 8" woofer for bass. If my AVR230 can power these monsters and make them sound good, I am 1000% sure you will be delighted with this receiver. The only reason I'm going with an amplifier is due to the receiver not having enough juice to really push the 8" woofer and I feel it's lacking some mid-bass. But I can't argue due to it pushing out 50x6 @ 8ohms RMS, which is probably 80+ watts RMS at 4-ohms. I've spoken to people at HK about running it at 4 ohms and while they don't recommend it, they do say it will work.

Ok, I've been up for 26 hours straight and can't keep my thoughts straight. I hope I've helped you out and if you have ANY questions, please feel free to ask.

·
Registered
332 Posts
The Sony receivers have a 4 ohm switch on the back, which actually is just adding a resistor before the outputs to bring the load up to 8 ohms (I believe, or is it reducing available power to compensate? I don't recall)... Not a recommended choice for speakers of M&K's caliber. H/K is about the cheapest thing I could think of that might handle them. If you're not objective to used gear, look for one online for around $400. Or, if you already have a receiver with pre-amp outs, try picking up an Onkyo M-504 (2ch) or HK PA5800 (5ch) for around that price too, there's a few other decent amp options that you can find around that price range on audiogon or ebay.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Maz,

Thanks for the encouraging info. I have to admit that the HK's were at the top of my list among the receivers in that price range that I looked at. Driving those Polk's should make these K-7s look like a walk in the park by comparison. I'll definitely keep the HK at the top of my list. Thanks again!

Also, I browsed around on the Onkyo website and it seems that all of their receivers are rated at 4 ohms as well. I even looked at the relatively inexpensive 501 and 601 receivers and they list 8, 6, and 4 ohm power ratings in their specs. I'm releived to find that there are some cheaper receivers out there that will hold a 4 ohm load!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.