AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

EDIT: i do have a center channel. I forgot to draw it in.

Right now i have enough speakers for 5.1. and will set it up as shown minus the surround backs. The Surround right and surround left are hanging on the wall about 5.5 feet off of the ground. The surround backs would also be hanging on the wall. I want to know if that kind of arrangement for 6.1 will work in your opinion. Also I would like to know what heigh would be optimal for the SBs (possibly ear level? or at the ceiling facing down?). I have read guides and seen pictures of optimal setups. But unfortunately i cannot do "optimal." I can do this if it will work well enough. What do you guys think?

Thanks for any help you guys can give me.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Surround backs oddly should preferably be side by side or no more than 4 feet apart. according to THX specs... *shugs* if that means much anymore.

err.. wait.. wheres the front center?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've heard that does still help to have 2 speakers in back that are wider than the couch but narrower than the SR and SL. I'm really trying ti figure out if they would be far enough back in this set up (without being very distracting). And wheather i should mount them close to the ceiling pointing down, at about ear level, or on the ground aiming up.

·
Registered
16,961 Posts
That's really not a "traditional" 6.1 setup; that's a 7.1 setup but without the center-channel speaker.

Why would it NOT work?
I don't understand what you're concerned about?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i'm concerned that the 6th channel would be too close to the listeners and confuse things. And i'm also looking for advice as to where to place the speakers. ceiling, ear level, or floor keeping in mind that the 4th and 5th channels are up around the ceiling.

edit: i do have a center channel. I forgot to draw it in.

·
Registered
2,369 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by k2snowboards88 /forum/post/0

i'm concerned that the 6th channel would be too close to the listeners and confuse things. And i'm also looking for advice as to where to place the speakers. ceiling, ear level, or floor keeping in mind that the 4th and 5th channels are up around the ceiling.

I have a similar setup. With the couch so close, you'll need to set the levels accordingly with an SPL meter. To get a better rear soundstage, it would be better if you could move the couch out another foot or two. I was able to do so, and it made a big difference.

PS: Don't forget your center channel!

·
Registered
16,961 Posts

Quote:

So, according to your diagram, you have both a 6th and 7th channel, correct? Why do you keep calling it a 6.1 setup?

Or are you planning to run both those SB speakers off of one channel of your receiver?

Regarding your setup, you really have no other choice except to move your couch and the SR/SL speakers forward.

Your picture almost looks like the "textbook" setup for a 7.1 system. I still don't understand what your concern is. Your SB speakers will be calibrated appropriately, so how could they be "too close to the listeners"?

·
Registered
2,369 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sivadselim /forum/post/0

So, according to your diagram, you have both a 6th and 7th channel, correct? Why do you keep calling it a 6.1 setup?

Or are you planning to run both those SB speakers off of one channel of your receiver?

Regarding your setup, you really have no other choice except to move your couch and the SR/SL speakers forward.

Your picture almost looks like the "textbook" setup for a 7.1 system. I still don't understand what your concern is. Your SB speakers will be calibrated appropriately, so how could they be "too close to the listeners"?

I think the concern is, and I have experienced this, if your SB speakers are that close to your head, you will have problems with source/location. The sound will be very directional, and it will sound like...well, speakers next to your head.

·
Registered
16,961 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by curlyjive /forum/post/0

I think the concern is, and I have experienced this, if your SB speakers are that close to your head, you will have problems with source/location. The sound will be very directional, and it will sound like...well, speakers next to your head.

Yeah, but as we both said, once calibrated properly, they should be OK. He can move them up the back wall to diminish their "presence".

And as we both said, also, his only other choice is to move his couch and SR/SL speakers forward a bit.

I'm still confused about his "6.1" setup nomenclature; looks like a 7.1 setup to me.

·
Registered
2,369 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sivadselim /forum/post/0

Yeah, but as we both said, once calibrated properly, they should be OK.

And as we both said, also, his only other choice is to move his couch and SR/SL speakers forward a bit.

I'm still confused about his "6.1" setup nomenclature; looks like a 7.1 setup to me.

He could be doing what I do, which is run my 7th speaker in series. This is ok as long as the amp can handle the load. Mine can do a 4ohm load, so I am ok there.

I still think that having the speakers that close to your head, even after calibration, could still sound too localized.

Your idea of moving them up the wall, and and maybe pointing them down, would be a very good tradeoff.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
well the reason it looks like 7.1 is that the back 2 speakers are running off the same channel. DTS and numerous people suggest running 6.1 in this manner. Aparently it makes the sound more envoloping. And with one rear speaker your ears can be confused and think the sound is coming from the front center channel.

Failing moving my couch out more than one more foot, i'm hoping that putting the speakers right by the ceiling and aiming them down will move them far enough away from my head. to keep them from being too directional.

·
Registered
16,961 Posts

Quote:

well the reason it looks like 7.1 is that the back 2 speakers are running off the same channel.

OK, I understand. So your receiver isn't capable of 7.1, correct?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
no, its 6.1.

On another note, does anyone know of any inexpensive wall mountable speakers? Right now i have optimus surrounds (8 yrs old). Pioneers match them well but they dont seem to make wall mountable speakers.

·
Registered
16,961 Posts

Quote:

how do you think laying the sb speakers on the ground, face up would work?

I think your idea to putting them higher is a better idea.

Again, if they're calibrated properly, they shouldn't be distracting.

·
Registered
16,961 Posts

Quote:

i will be using an spl. I'll just have t osearch for some kind of wall mount speakers taht work well wiht my current ones.

What are your current 2 surround speakers? Because another pair of those would obviously work best. You wall mounted your current surround speakers, why can't you wall-mount another pair in the same fashion?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I would really like to wall mount speakers in the same fashion. Unfortunately i've been searching for wall mount speakers of the same caliber and i cant find any. It seems like they dont sell small wall mountable speakrs with the threaded hole in the middle for a screw mount. The only wall mountable speakers i've been able to find anywhere are included in a htib and one pair from best buy for $400. I'm getting pretty frustrated.

·
Registered
4,040 Posts

Quote:

I would really like to wall mount speakers in the same fashion. Unfortunately i've been searching for wall mount speakers of the same caliber and i cant find any. It seems like they dont sell small wall mountable speakrs with the threaded hole in the middle for a screw mount. The only wall mountable speakers i've been able to find anywhere are included in a htib and one pair from best buy for $400. I'm getting pretty frustrated.

You are aware there are speaker mounts available online that will allow you to mount any type of bookshelf speaker right? This way you can buy the speaker you want and mount them as needed, some of the mounts don't even need to be drilled into the back of the speaker.

One surround speaker company that I am aware of that has the mounting hardware included are a pair of Axiom Audio speakers , I have a pair for my side surround speakers and love them. I also have a pair of bookshelfs for my rears in my 7.1 setup and I used aftermarket speaker mounts that I drilled into the back of the speakers so I could mount them on the wall.

Good luck

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin12586 /forum/post/0

You are aware there are speaker mounts available online that will allow you to mount any type of bookshelf speaker right? This way you can buy the speaker you want and mount them as needed, some of the mounts don't even need to be drilled into the back of the speaker.

One surround speaker company that I am aware of that has the mounting hardware included are a pair of Axiom Audio speakers , I have a pair for my side surround speakers and love them. I also have a pair of bookshelfs for my rears in my 7.1 setup and I used aftermarket speaker mounts that I drilled into the back of the speakers so I could mount them on the wall.

Good luck

Haha, i wish i could afford that. It is out of my price range for the moment. Where can i get universal speaker mounts that dont require me to drill into the wall? That could be exactly what i'm looking for.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.