AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Intel has made several announcements in the past day or so. One is the announcement of a new MB form factor: BTX

http://www.dvhardware.net/article.php?sid=1894

While this board is not tiny it is smaller than ATX but it supports PCI Express. The new PCI cards will come in 2 sizes: 3" x 1.33" and 3" x 2.13"

http://siliconvalley.internet.com/ne...le.php/3078811

The new boards will also support instant on/off.

Intel also announced that they will become more involved in convergence. They will be pushing their HT chips because of their ability to, as they say "record a show in the background and play a video game in the foreground".

Looks like the start of a good HTPC.

Clay

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Pretty happy with my 845-based P4PE, but when BTX + PCIx + (what's that new sound system called that's replacing AC97?) is available, then I think it will be time to upgrade.

It's nice to have the bar so clearly defined. I suspect Intel may woo the lot of us with this combination of technologies (as long as they don't succumb to undue pressure to implement draconian DRM measures as part of it.)

·
Registered
3,496 Posts
Yes, maybe in 5 years! Why so long for the (near) instant on/off? Getting vendors to adopt the new PCI bus and form factor will take time.

·
Registered
7,997 Posts
Anandtech has an article on BTX cases and motherbaords with several photos.

Also, there is a discussion about it at SlashDot .

I think BTX is made for HTPC. It is really all about better cooling, which will help keep the PC quit. Also with smaller forms available (pico and micro) small component size HTPC will be truly possible, without the need for specialized cases.

It is supposed to come out next year ... so not really far away.

Well, I'm an optimist ;-)

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
great. Thanks intel for making all of my current mobos and cases obsolete.

·
Registered
3,496 Posts
It took many years to kill the ISA standard, PCI will be around for quite some time.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.