AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've attached two pictures where our home theater will be built.

First one:
http://bucklemke.com/images/picture-017.jpg

Close up:
http://bucklemke.com/images/picture-018.jpg

The wall above is where my screen will go (4:3 120" diagonal). The beam that runs across the ceiling is about 10' from the wall. I'm assuming that I can remove the iron support, and replace it with two of them off to the sides a bit, so that it won't be in the way. I'm planning on getting an NEC HT1000. Will this beam cause any problems? According to this page in order to get a 120" diagonal with this projector I'd need to mount it 12-15 feet from the screen. If I have to mount it a couple feet below the ceiling because of the beam in front of it, will this cause any problems? Any thing else I should be aware of?

·
Registered
7,655 Posts
Be VERY careful pulling out that post. Depending on the span, you may want to pull a 'big steel' project and replace it with steel with posts on the side. Just don't want you to collapse your whole house!

Also, depending on the height of the beam, you could still pull this off (assuming the post goes.) and just have a lower screen or tip the pj a bit and correct with keystone (though there is some pic degradation if you do this.)

·
Registered
24 Posts
your best bet would be to have a structural engineer look at it and spec out a steel reinforcement and new columns. It will probably cost a couple of hundred dollars for the engineer to do this but its worth the money. That flitch beam is carrying weight from the roof and floors above down to the foundation.

My neigbor had to do something similar to accomodate a family room and pool table. He had a piece of steel that looked like a log C shaped channel bolted on to his beam and a new heavier column was installed on each end.

·
Registered
3,681 Posts
Even if you don't change the span and only move the posts, there are engineering issues. Usually the posts sits on a concrete pad, that is designed to distribute the force. You can't see the pad, because it is covered by the floor. A four inch concrete pad *can not* carry the weight of a structural post. Usually when one moves a post, one also needs to cut a hole in the floor, and dig out a area for a structural pad. I know all this, because I have a similar problem, and paid a structural engineer to size everything.

There is also more to it than *your house falling down*. More likely, undersized supports will allow too much deflection in the floor above. This will cause major maintenance problems with cracked tiles, buckled floors, sagging roof, well before it leads to a catastrophic failure.

Get an engineer!

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
What Swampfox said. Also, I can't tell what spans you have there but I am surprised I dont see bridging between the floor joists. This is normally to stabilize the joists and prevent twisting/movement.

Brian

·
Premium Member
8,712 Posts
Absolutely....get an engineer. What you may consider is to install a steel beam to the sub-floor above, and hang the existing floor joists from the beam (rather than placing the beam under the joists as it is now).

The downside is this is a professional job (not a DIY), and requires outside engineering assistance. The upside is your 'low hanging fruit' won't be as low into the room.

·
Registered
523 Posts
If you could post a floor plan of your basement, there may be options. It looks like you could run your HT the other way (depending on whatever else is in the basement) with your screen either on the wall to the left or the right. It seems there is some more width to the room where I can see the matresses stacked againt the wall. This would certainly be alot easier and cheaper than messing with the beams and posts. You could then hide the posts inside walls, making the back area where you originally wanted the screen, into an equipment room or bar or something.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.