AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quick background. Looking for an inexpensive but good performing speaker setup for my Dedicated HT. Primary usage would be to watch movies and occasional tv / sports. Very little music. After looking through this forum, I have become quite smitten with the TSC line of bookshelf and surround speakers based on members reviews. They seem to give a great price / performance and appear to be at least close to what I hope to have to spend on speakers. Also adding in the PA-120 as the sub, also based on the same reviews and price / performance info I have read about. I am planning on using a Acoustically transparent screen and placing the LCR speakers behind it. Although I am unsure of what effect that will have on the sound level / quality. Maybe, I should say I am more unconvinced rather than unsure. I have seen charts, graphs, read posts, etc about it, but I guess it just seems like it breaks some rule of physics or something, and so I remain unconvinced. Plus, most of the people I have seen post about AT screens, seem to all have some bigger / more powerful / more expensive speakers as their LCR, and so I guess I question the usage with bookshelf size speakers (especially ones as inexpensive as the TSC ones). Also the size of bookshelf speakers as my mains in general concerns me as well because of the room size (see below). I guess I always thought bookshelf speakers were meant more as surround speakers, but thats probably just my inexperience. So without further ado (and wasting any more of your time), her is my first draft at my speaker setup.

If anyone has any feedback on this setup that would be great.

Room size ~ 25' x 13' x 9.5' (L x W x H) (note: ceiling is sloped to the front and to the back kinda like "front" /````\\ "back" at i'm guessing ~30 degrees.). It is a dedicated HT that is enclosed, so no adjoining room for sound to leak out and escape. You can see more about the room (including pics) in my build thread posted in my sig.

FL ----- Center ----- FR - Sub

TSBL ---- TC2 ----- TSBL - PA-120

$90 ----- $100 ----- $90 - $230

====== AT Screen =====

SL ------------------ SR

TSS-B ----------- TSS-B

$85 ---------------- $85

---- BL* ----- BR*

---- TSB ----- TSB

---- $65 ----- $65

*Might not purchase to start and add later to make 7.1

Total cost of this system as 5.1 = $680

Total cost of this system as 7.1 = $810

I would guess this would put my speaker expenditures in the "low" to "very low" range of what a lot of you guys have spent and / or are planning to spend, and thats okay with me as long as it will perform well. Its not the size of the pencil its how big the eraser is. What, I make a lot of mistakes
. I am not looking to keep the neighbors up, but would like the audio side of movies to add to the experience, not just be there. If you know what I mean.

Thoughts, ideas, suggestions, verbal tongue lashings, constructive criticism, un-constructive criticism, etc... are all welcome.

Oh, and thanks in advance...

·
Registered
3,995 Posts
Great space and great work in the theater! You've made a great choice to go with an acoustically transparent screen which brings up some things to consider. With speakers placed behind the screen and close to the rear wall, look for a front ported design so proximity to the rear wall can be mximized. Also since the speaker location does not conflict witht he viewing area of the screen, look for three identical front speakers either floor mounted or large bookshelf. No need for a horizontal center speaker as teh design is flawed for use with conventional setups which you don't have.

As for the speakers themselves, you have a fairly large space so look for something with a fair amount of low bass extension and high sensitivity....which means they don't need much power to reach loud levels. On a budget such as yours, the Infinity Primus line makes perfect sense as it fits your needs and budget. Here's an example of a great choice for the three fronts.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...al_5_1_4_.html

At $125 each, a bit more than the TSC offerings but a much better option for your space. Withe reasonable low frequency or bass extension, these will compliment a budget subwoofer in delivering an acceptable experience.

For on wall surrounds, four of these which have the same front ported design and integrated mounts would compliment the front three

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc..._2_Way_4_.html

Overall afew more $$$ than the proposed TSC system, but with added performance that exeeds the price difference and more suited to your arrangement.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Mayhem,

Great suggestion. I, too, am/was in the TSC boat but it seems I could surpass their performance with a little extra $$ by going with the Infinity setup.

Question though....

How do you propose one mounts the Primus 142 (used as rear satellites) to the wall? They seem big. I think the only two options are stands or wall mounts (I think I saw mounts on crutchfield with a depth of 13")

This seems to be a little more $$, but you think the performance would be significant over the TSC setup?

Thanks

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Mayhem, thanks for taking the time to respond and make the Infinity recommendation. I originally (way back when starting this HT quest) was planning on using some Polk R50 floor standing speakers, but due to the choice of going with an AT screen I wavered on my decision and started looking at the bookshelf speakers. As for your recommendations, I don't mind a minimal price increase as long as there is significant performance increase, and you seem convinced that these Infinity's will do just that. However, along with the ~$100 speaker price difference, the shipping cost on these things is pretty brutal at roughly an additional $125. Perhaps I could find a good sale or free shipping or something to help cut into that difference.

Regardless of whether I go with those specific speakers or not, you make great points about trying to get something that is ported to the front. When using an AT screen with these or any floor standing speakers, do you have to elevate the speaker so that the cones are more centered vertically behind the screen or does that not matter? Is it your opinion that bookshelf speakers in general won't be large enough to supply the desired sound for a room this size, or do you think I will get more bang for my buck and just be happier with these floor standing speakers? Would using 3 "Center Channel" speakers turned on end work as fronts? I don't know if they would have the necessary low end base or not but it was just a thought I had.

·
Registered
3,995 Posts
It's a toss up really in your price range, bookshelf or floorstanding as you'll need stands for the bookshelfs and they won't be a free lunch. The Infinity option gives you a bit more bass extension and a built in stand. The higher sensitivity is where the real plus is considering budget priced AVR's such as the Pioneer VSX 919 or similiar. Don't worry about elevation. As long as the height of the tweeter is +/- 3" from the seated ear level on a horizontal plain, you're fine. I usually don't offer floorstanders as a suggestion, but given your use and budget, they make perfect sense. As for the Infinity's don't forget the shallow depth at less than 12". You don't wnt to loose too much space behind the screen. All of these things considered should make them worth the added cost. There's probobly a retailer somewhere nearby for a cash and carry deal in Fla.

Onecall.com has free shipping but the price for the speaker is higher.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
1 - 6 of 6 Posts