AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, quick question... I know this has been discussed before but I cannot find it using search. I am wondering what the effect is (or if any damage can be done to the sub) by running the Hsu VTF3-MKII with both ports OPEN and setting it to max extension mode, rather than the usual max output mode? Will this allow the sub to dig a little deeper?

I have recently been playing with my dual VTF3's and I have been surprised to find that I seem to prefer running them with both ports open in max output mode. There just doesn't seem to be as much bass when running them in max extension mode, even though they should be digging deeper. I have been playing a bunch of my favorite LFE scenes which dip below 20hz and I am very surprised that max output mode seems to give me more impact.

So I have been curious to try running the subs with BOTH ports open and flipping them to max extension mode to see what would happen. But I don't want to do this unless it is safe. I seem to recall the big "no no" is plugging one port and using the max output setting. But opening both ports would be safe in either max output or max extension? Is that correct?

Some people used to say this would give an "over dampened" response. What exactly does that mean?

Any info appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
7,143 Posts
Hi shadow how a have you been? If I remember correctly running in max output with the switch in max extension mode can damage the driver. To much volume at deep extension with not enough roll off. The switch is basically an EQ that allows roll off.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legairre /forum/post/19533466

Hi shadow how a have you been? If I remember correctly running in max output with the switch in max extension mode can damage the driver. To much volume at deep extension with not enough roll off. The switch is basically an EQ that allows roll off.

Thx Legairre, I posted this over at Hsu as well and am hoping to get a reply from Pete or someone. I just purchased a second 3-MK2 locally from a fellow AVS forum member because I wanted to see if it helped even out room response. And it certainly does! No matter what subs I get from now on I will always have 2! I just have way too many problems with no bass in one seating position and too much in another. The duals have really helped even that out.

In fact, I would have had dual 15H's ordered by now if they didn't cost $400 bucks EACH for shipping to the east coast of Canada! OUCH!!! I love your review of the 15H but there is no way I'm swallowing nearly $1000 bucks for shipping on two sub. No matter how good!

I'll just wait for someone locally to sell their 15H in a couple of years

·
Registered
7,143 Posts
Glad to help shadow. I've read a bunch of post from people in Canada about the shipping cost. I'm with you there's no way I could swallow $400 per sub for shipping. Unfortunately I guess there isn't anything Hsu can do about the shipping cost to eastern Canada.

·
Registered
8,479 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnknownShadow
Hi guys, quick question... I know this has been discussed before but I cannot find it using search. I am wondering what the effect is (or if any damage can be done to the sub) by running the Hsu VTF3-MKII with both ports OPEN and setting it to max extension mode, rather than the usual max output mode? Will this allow the sub to dig a little deeper?

I have recently been playing with my dual VTF3's and I have been surprised to find that I seem to prefer running them with both ports open in max output mode. There just doesn't seem to be as much bass when running them in max extension mode, even though they should be digging deeper. I have been playing a bunch of my favorite LFE scenes which dip below 20hz and I am very surprised that max output mode seems to give me more impact.

So I have been curious to try running the subs with BOTH ports open and flipping them to max extension mode to see what would happen. But I don't want to do this unless it is safe. I seem to recall the big "no no" is plugging one port and using the max output setting. But opening both ports would be safe in either max output or max extension? Is that correct?

Some people used to say this would give an "over dampened" response. What exactly does that mean?

Any info appreciated. Thanks
Do yourself a big favor and do NOT do ANY experiments with the port plugs and changing the switch position. Wait until you have discussed this with Pete Hsu. You do not want to do any experiments that could damage your driver and void your warranty.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
If the switch is at 1 port open, don't run the 3.3 sub with both ports open...Please...Only with turbo you can do that...

The subsonic filter will not protect the driver, and this will/can damage the driver...

Basically what will happen is that the system will "unload" before the crossover(subsonic filter) kicks in...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.