1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please read this .

On inputs:
Quote:
To allow input from a variety of external sources, the HM-DH30000U is equipped with an i.Link (conforming to EIA-775-A ``DTV 1394 Interface'' specification) which will allow connection of a set-top box equipped with the same output for digital-to-digital recording.
On outputs:
Quote:
First, there is the HD Component Video Output (Y/PB/PR RCAx3pin HD Video Output for 1080i/720p/480p/480i) which makes connection to a high-definition TV as easy as possible.
Looks like 1394 (copy protected) in and analog HD Y/Pr/Pb (not copy protected) out.

If true, why wouldn't I buy ANY HD-ready TV or projector today and not worry about future compatibility with copy protection?

------------------

Huck

·
Registered
9,769 Posts
I think we are going to see a hodgepodge of compliant and noncompliant products over the next couple of years. Kaos? yes. But I believe this is what the manufacturers really want. They are not dumb. They want to sell product. If the products they sell that are compliant stay on the shelves and don't sell, well they tell the MPAA to back off.

After all, the products that are profitable will be those that are popular.

There's also the "new" products that will come to market to bypass 5C/HDPC all together.

Money talks. Sales define everything.

·
Registered
950 Posts
Huck, I, as well as anyone who has purchased an HDTV ready unit, account for an already large $$ market. It would behove the powers that be, to manufacture some type of box that would keep us in the mix, otherwise, the backlash from the early adopters would hurt these copy protection types in the pocketbook.

It was said with VHS, and proved false. Ultimately, it only helped put more money in their coffers!

Their paranoia over losing money has never been justified. It's been just the opposite!

VB

·
Registered
533 Posts
I suppose the interesting question would be whether there is any control signal in the iLink spec which would allow the source to be encoded such that the analog outputs are turned off for that source, and only the digital output is enabled. It appears that this is *not* how this device works, since it talks about conveying an iLink output only with non-copyright material.

The problem with using this probably comes into whether the STB enalbes an iLink output with broadcast material, or whether the digital output can be shut down, and the anlog output bandwidth limited, as many specs propose/require.

I certainly *hope* that boxes like this will facilitate fair use for personal taping and outputing to an analog display; until we see the complete system configuration, it's hard to say, isn't it?

Regards,

Jon

·
Registered
950 Posts
Jon, you mention some good points, but do you believe that those of us who have spent $$$ on our systems are going to be left twisting in the wind if this new copy protecton is enacted??

We, as early adopters of HD technology, would ultimately be screwed, and I don't believe that it would bode well for these paranoid types who have been hawking copy protection.

I would ask you, what happens to us?? Surely they must take us into account when, and if, this new system is addopted!

This seems like a, Shoot yourself in the foot attititude!

Your thoughts??

VB

·
Registered
707 Posts
The display has a chip in it that communicates with the source (HDTV receiver)and determines what the maximum resolution you are allowed to view is. An interface will not eliminate the "handshake" that must take place between the source and the display providing an end-around to the non-compliant user.

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
JVC is one of the leading proponents of copy protected tapes (their theory being that Hollywood will deliver lots of nice 1080i content to drive D-VHS sales if they feel safe). So you can be darned sure that this deck implements DTCP properly -- it will almost certainly not output full-HD content on the analog outputs if the original digital content doesn't include the appropriate flags to permit it to do so.

It's disappointing (but not surprising) that they don't support analog HD input. I *really* want to be able to time shift HD content from my dish.

------------------

Mike Kobb

(Formerly "ReplayMike", but no longer affiliated with the company; these opinions are mine alone.)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.