AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a Samsung un55b7000 LED knowing that the sound is horrible and I would be using my surround sound for audio on all inputs. I have an Onkyo TX-SR502 as a receiver and all my devices setup with optical cables to the receiver. With my direct TV box I have it set up to the TV with HDMI and to the receiver with the same optical cable. But I have a huge lip sync issue which I have again read about here.. The cable box and the TV have no solutions, so the alternative is a new receiver. My current receiver does not have a delay or anything that will help (as far as I know)..

I was thinking at this time I would upgrade to a Denon AVR-1610 witch will accept all my devices through HDMI and my XBOX 360 through the component cables and out put to my TV with a single HDMI. From reading I believe this will resolve my lip sync issue while also helping clean up all the cables. This receiver does not have a manual adjustment for the lip sync, but says it has an auto function. Will I even need that if I set all my cables up with HDMI to the receiver? Should this solution take care of any possible lip sync problem assuming I put all video and audio through this receiver?

Let me know what you think please and if I should be doing something different.

Thanks

Chris

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
So I upgraded to the Denon and have it all hooked up with HDMI and I still have the lip sync issue on some channels... specifically FOX

Is this just an issue with the box or what?

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
I'll second that. I don't know who the cable-box vendors have designing their equipment, but their HDMI implementations are hot garbage.

Use optical or coax for cable audio. You may be able to keep the HDMI cable for video-only, or you may have to switch to component video to eliminate the lip sync problems. In any case, component video and optical/coax audio will fix your problem for sure.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That was what I had when I used my Onkyo receiver and someone said that because the video/sound was split that was causing the problem and then recommended using an HDMI receiver.

·
Premium Member
93,361 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris112 /forum/post/18305548

I was thinking at this time I would upgrade to a Denon AVR-1610 witch will accept all my devices through HDMI and my XBOX 360 through the component cables and out put to my TV with a single HDMI. From reading I believe this will resolve my lip sync issue while also helping clean up all the cables. This receiver does not have a manual adjustment for the lip sync, but says it has an auto function.

Check p. 43 in your Denon 1610 Owners manual on how to manually adjust the Audio Delay.

Also, just because you have split cabling doesn't necessarily mean there should be a lip sync issue. It has to do with the individual components (esp. the cable/sat box).

·
Registered
2,135 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris112 /forum/post/18368440

That was what I had when I used my Onkyo receiver and someone said that because the video/sound was split that was causing the problem and then recommended using an HDMI receiver.

Yeah, and you had the video going directly to the TV while the audio went through the receiver. That caused your problem. Audio and video often require different times for processing.

If you do all your processing in the receiver, it can compensate for both and sync them back up. If you do your video processing elsewhere, the receiver needs to have manual adjustments to let you synchronize them.

With HDMI, you run into a different problem which is that the cable-box vendors don't have a frigging clue about how to build an HDMI box that works right.

If you use optical output on a receiver with lip sync adjustment, you'll have no problem.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts