·
Registered
2,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have the following:

- a powerful PC without a DVD player

- a Toshiba interlaced DVD player

- Playstation2 and Dreamcast

I want to play movies & video games. My preference is to keep the standalone interlaced DVD player because of the remote control and proximity to the stereo equipment.

Here's the twist: Instead of buying a DVD player for the PC, continue to use the Toshiba DVD player to feed a movie signal to the PC. Whether it's a DVD signal or Playstation signal, the PC wont care. So the PC becomes the de-interlacer/scaler.

This way I can keep the remote control capabilities of the DVD player and perhaps keep my PC install a little simpler.

What am I missing???

- JP

·
Registered
719 Posts

Here's the twist: Instead of buying a DVD player for the PC, continue to use the Toshiba DVD player to feed a movie signal to the PC....So the PC becomes the de-interlacer/scaler.

This will work fine if you have a TV card that is compatible with Dscaler. You can download Dscaler for free. It does the deinterlacing for you, and the video card will scale the video for your display. You will be stuck using s-video or composite video connections. If using multiple sources, let your receiver switch the s-video signals, if compatible.

What am I missing???

Ultimate picture quality. I have tried DVD both ways, and it is no contest. The on-board DVD picture looks better on all film-based material.

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Digital video output. So if I connect the DVD Component output to the ATI graphic component input, that should be a very clean signal.

http://www.ati.com/na/pages/products...500/index.html

When you say "I have tried DVD both ways, and it is no contest. "

Does that mean you have fed an s-video (presumably since component input into the PC hasn't been available until the 8500DV) signal from the DVD to the PC and compared the results to the PC's internal DVD player?

·
Registered
719 Posts
Yes, that would get the signal into your computer, but it would not allow you to deinterlace using Dscaler due to compatibility problems. You would not be able to handle the 3-2 pulldown with this configuration.

Of course I could be wrong. I invite others to join the discussion.

Quote:
Does that mean you have fed an s-video (presumably since component input into the PC hasn't been available until the 8500DV) signal from the DVD to the PC and compared the results to the PC's internal DVD player?
Yes, that is correct

·
Registered
3,496 Posts
If you are going to go with the external DVD, get the best one you can. A Falcon or a KBK modified as most off the shelf TV cards are really only for display on a typical Computer monitor. Plan on $150 to $300 for that (Internal DVD already looks cheaper, don't it?). Other posts have also emphesised, use only the very best cables you can afford to feed the external DVD to the HTPC. Any signal loss is only amplified by the HTPC.

·
Registered
719 Posts
jpinto

I believe jkaiser is referring to s-video exclusively, as am I.

Jkaiser-

What cards are $300 that work with Dscaler? I bought the KBK modded card for around $150.

·
Registered
3,496 Posts
I was referencing the Falcon which I have seen here in the $230 range, but that might have been a power buy price. Yes I was talking about the S-Video input. TV tuner input would be much worse as Computer TV tuners are really crap, and modulating the video degrades it even more (loss of stereo audio too).

·
Registered
719 Posts
Thanks for the info jkaiser.

jpinto is referring to component video in, which as far as I know is not compatible with Dscaler.

·
Registered
6,225 Posts
In any case, the answer to the question is more basic. Composite video, S-video, and interlaced component video are low bandwidth, 15.75Khz video signals in 4:3 aspect ratio. If the source material is widescreen, even some of this minimal video bandwith is blown away on letterbox bars.

Even if you bump up to a progressive DVD player with 16:9 component video output, you are then at 31.5Khz (vanilla VGA resolution). Yes it looks better than interlaced video on a display that can support progressive playback. But the ultimate limitation is reached when you get to 16:9 source material, on an anamorphic DVD, with a progressive player set for 16:9 output - that's when you fully utilize the available 31.5Khz bandwidth of the player.

However, the least expensive computer monitor, and any XGA projector, has a bandwidth of around 85-100Khz, and will support 1024x768 resolution or better. So using an interlaced player with a 15.75Khz bandwidth wastes more than 80% of the display bandwidth - significantly less sharpness, detail, and color fidelity than the original.

JP, my suggestion would be to add a DVD-ROM and a wireless infrared keyboard/mouse to your PC. Use a software DVD player, not your standalone DVD player, for DVDs. Honestly, once you have seen the difference, even on a regular smallscreen monitor, you'll never go back. As a bonus, you'll also gain access to the DVD-ROM extra features on many DVD movie disks, not accessable from standard DVD players.

Gary

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I've been reconsidering. To add a DVD player to the PC is very cheap.

The new ATI 64MB All-in-Wonder board has a RF remote and alot of output/input options. I can run the video games into the ATI input via S-video (best that can be done with PS2/Nintendo) and use the PC's internal DVD for movies. Sounds simple enough. I may even buy a projector that has a digital input to keep the whole movie "chain" in digital.

I'll run digital audio out of the ATI board into my A/V receiver.

Thanks again for all the input! :)

- JP

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.