Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone,

I am a HTPC newbie planning to put together a HTPC with PVR capabilities. Although, I am very comfortable around hardware and software, my HT connection and software knowhow is close to zero. that's why I need your help. :)

I do not foresee any problem with getting the setup to play DVDs on a computer moniter. But I do have doubts about whether what I am about to do is realistic. I am planning on using the VIVO video card to send the video signals into the video in of my TV and a sound card to send the sound into the audio in. Is it that simple? :confused:

If the above can be done, that means I can move to my next question. :eek:

Currently I am using a cable box with a video and audio out to switch channels. I want to able to set a channel on the cable box and schedule a recording with the PVR software. Can I use a VIVO graphics card to do scheduled recordings with Showshifter or PowerVCR? Notice the PVR does not need to select/switch the channel. The PVR software just has to know when to start recording the video and audio in signal.

If you notice, I basically want to avoid getting a TV tuner and get by with a VIVO graphics card. Am I way out in space with this? :confused:

Thanks. :)

·
Registered
371 Posts
all of what you suggested is realistic. depending on how picky you are about quality, you may soon spend the rest of your life (like many of us!) pursuing the Holy Grail of true Tivo-like functionality. You can look into video cards with better TV-out, more advanced sound cards, and TV-tuner cards with lots of bells and whistles. but the answers to all your questions is most certainly "yes".

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by hindif
all of what you suggested is realistic. depending on how picky you are about quality, you may soon spend the rest of your life (like many of us!) pursuing the Holy Grail of true Tivo-like functionality. You can look into video cards with better TV-out, more advanced sound cards, and TV-tuner cards with lots of bells and whistles. but the answers to all your questions is most certainly "yes".
Hi hindif,

Thanks for the reply. I'm surprised I got only one!

You are quite right. I expect to be embarking on a journey with no end. But I plan to enjoy every moment of it. :)

At first glance, it seemed that I can use a VIVO graphics card to play DVDs and schedule recordings. Hurray!!!! Then saw this little "TV-tuner" word. That kinda let the air out of my balloon. Does that mean I can only schedule recordings, using PVR software, with a TV-tuner card?

Maybe I should just get a VIVO card (ATI Radeon) to mess around with first. With a VIVO setup, I'm relatively sure I can get:

1) DVD to display on my TV via video in. Graphic card VO ---> TV VI

2) The ability to record from a video source. Source (camcorder/cable box) ---> Graphic card VI.

Scheduled recordings without a TV tuner card is another ball game I suppose. I guess I'd have to wing it.

Again, hindif, thanks for the reply.

·
Registered
371 Posts
I have a Radeon All-In-Wonder, which has composite and s-video in/out as well as a tv tuner. However, I would have thought that the VIVO version and PowerVCR or other similar software would be all that you need to schedule recordings, since you can simply tell the program to use the composite in from your card instead of a TV tuner for the video input. Maybe I'm mistaken, but it sounds awfully strange that you'd need a TV tuner for the app to expose this functionality.

Good luck!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by hindif
..................but it sounds awfully strange that you'd need a TV tuner for the app to expose this functionality.

Good luck!

My thoughts as well. :rolleyes:

Regardless of the outcome, I'm going to post the results here when I get everything setup.

Again, hindif thanks for replying to my questions. :)

Anyone else have any input?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.