AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Will playing my Xbox/PS2 on my TV cause burn in, and mess it up?? I play a couple hours a day when Im at home.

·
Registered
550 Posts
It certainly can if you have an ordinary CRT type RPTV. I assume that is what you have. The worse thing is to leave the same image on the TV for an extended time such as a scene or a background that doesn't change at all. Keeping the brightness and contrast down will help.

·
Registered
6,723 Posts
Greetings

RPTV manuals and Game manuals specifically say that game playing is bad for crt based TV's ...

Regards

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
Well my TVs manual only says that static images can damage my TV. With newer game systems MS XBox in particular you really don't need to be too worried unless you are careless (leaving games paused for hours etc.) since the XBox rarely has any static images on screen. Even if you leave a menu screen up MS mandates that the publisher must go to cut scenes periodically and even when you pause a game after about 30 seconds the brightness will dim right out (MS design). Further it is rare to find many game stoday that have static borders or backgrounds.

Do be carefull of some sports games that leave scorboards floating in front of the game screen. (Sega Sports unfortunately) Although most take steps (MS Games Studios) to make sure they are not always up.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Beware of status bars, life meters and score meters though. Those tend to be static on most games and can burn in.

If your contrast is down and the 2 hours a day isn't the same game everytime, and you use the tv for other things too you shouldn't have too much problem. Otherwise be very careful

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yea mine says to limit the use to 15% of total viewing for the week. The most I watch TV a day is a couple hours after work if Im not busy doing anything else, so I think I should be aright.

Yea Version youre right, most games do not have the same image displayed for a long time. Ive noticed past couple days while ive been playing, just being careful.

·
Registered
772 Posts
You should also consider that black 'windowbox' bars are static... if the game only occupies a 4:3 portion of a 16:9 screen, use a stretch mode. Or, use a burn-in proof display like LCD or DLP.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.