AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Background: My best friend is in the Army (stationed in the Middle East) and I would like to load up an external drive with some TV shows/movies for him to watch. He has his ~3yr old 17" MacBook Pro with him. He is completely computer illiterate, so this needs to be a turn-key operation.

I'm not sure exactly what model MacBook Pro he has, but I'm pretty sure that it is one of the following (I'll find out exactly which one soon):

17-inch: 2.33GHz(MA611LL/A)

* 2.33GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor, 4MB on-chip shared L2 cache running 1:1 with processor speed

* 2GB (two SO-DIMMs) of PC2-5300 (667MHz) DDR2 memory; two SO-DIMM slots support up to 3GB

* 667MHz frontside bus

* ATI Mobility Radeon X1600 graphics processor, dual -ink DVI support, 256MB of GDDR3 SDRAM.

17-inch: 2.4GHz(MA897LL/A)

* 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor, 4MB on-chip shared L2 cache running 1:1 with processor speed

* 2GB (two SO-DIMMs) of PC2-5300 (667MHz) DDR2 memory; two SO-DIMM slots support up to 4GB

* 800MHz frontside bus

* NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT graphics processor with dual-link DVI support and 256MB of GDDR3 SDRAM.

I assume that the 1st one listed won't work, but I'm not sure about the 2nd one.

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Actually both of them should work. I can play Blu-Ray rips on my macbook with a 2.0 C2D. It's older, slower, and with less ram. It's going to be a software decode so I'd throw in a copy of mplayer on the drive. I used plex on my macbook before I built a HTPC. It's a mac port of xbmc, it works really well. He'd need an internet connection and a little computer savvy so maybe just stick with mplayer. It should work better than quicktime.

What kind of files are you sending him. No reason to send straight BR rips. If that's what you've got reencode them first. They should play but it's just a waste of space. Everything else it should handle no problem. By The way that's a nice gesture, I'm sure he'll appreciate it.

·
Registered
328 Posts
I have an early 08 15" that has the same hardware specs with the nvidia 8600. I have had zero issues with playing HD movies. I used it for 6-months on a westpac a year ago.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts