AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Planning on going with an HS10 in my living room with the screen mounted above the fireplace. The bottom of the 92" screen would be about 72" off the floor. Given it's 45" in height, that puts the center of the screen roughly 8.5 feet off the floor. That's the lowest it will be able to go since the CC will be mounted on the mantle. The ONLY other option would be to get a acoustically transparent screen that I could lower to below the CC. However, I'm not sure if it would be worth the extra cost.

Bottom line is with a primary viewing distance of 11-12ft., will this screen be way to high for movies, or... will it be higher than ideal - but very watchable?

·
Registered
283 Posts
IMHO, that will be way too high to be enjoyable. My screen is 36" off of the floor (with the same viewing distance that you have) which puts the image slightly above the viewers' eye level. That is kinda pushing it for comfortable viewing.

A better way to think about this is to draw a right triangle. The horizontal line is the distance from the screen to the viewing position. The vertical line is the vertical distance from the viewers' eyes to the bottom of the screen. Obviously the diagonal is from the bottom of the image back to the viewer's eyes. Measure the angle of the hypotenuese (sp?) and determine if you want to hold your head at that angle for several hours or not.

David

·
Registered
17 Posts
Ever sit in the front row in a movie theater? :) Now imagine you're sitting on the floor infront of that, hehe.

Just my opinion, but that is extrememly high. Even standing up, the bottom of your image will be eye level. Sitting down you'll be looking very high up. Of course it's still watchable, but you may not enjoy it as much as you could.

·
Registered
780 Posts
For those among us that use reclining home theater furniture, a high screen can be an advantage

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, I'm kinda thinking it's just a tad too high to be fully enjoyable but this is the ONLY place given my room limitations to put the projector. So, that beinf said, what are my options for a perforated screen that I can use infront of my CC (preferably manually) at a lower height.??

·
Registered
31 Posts
Hey, I have the same delima. My mantle is about 55 inches off the ground which would put my screen height close to where yours would be. I am going to set my cc aside when I am not watching a movie and move it into place for movietime. This will allow me to mount the screen at its appropriate height. It is not the most convenient resolution but it will work.

How are you going to conceal the screen casing? Also please post pics if you can.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
OK, About the CC, I think what I'm going to end up doing is using a 60 lbs. Omnimount STMP bracket and hang the CC tucked up under the lower lip of the mantle (where the lower mantle lip receeds to the marble surrounding the fireplace). This puts the CC about 3 feet off the ground, but I'll be able to tilt it up slightly and the WAF is good with this setup. I can always remove the speaker or the mount and the holes drilled will be on the underside of the mantle. Hard to describe I guess and it took me a few hours of critical thinking to come up with this. Fingers crossed that it will always work. Other than this the hardest part of this project willbe running all the wires to the speakers, sub, and projector.

About the screen, I will now be able to ceiling mount a Model B/C about 12" in front of the fireplace wall, use an extended drop, and drop it down to right above the CC, which will actually be the ideal screen location. With a white casing mounted to the ceiling, this is by far the best way to do this.

This project is going to require me to sell my Klipsch RF-3s in favor of RB-5s for fronts. Anyone interested in Perfect condition Klipsch RF-3s???:)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.