AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm building my first home theater, and I'm starting with the klipsch 5.1 promedia computer speakers I already have:

http://mobile.shopatron.com/products...5770.0.0?pp=8&

I previously used these with my pc and was very pleased with the sound. The sub amp died, so I'm going to use the satellites in my new home theater setup.

The speakers have been discontinued, and I don't know what wattage they're meant for.

The receiver I'm looking at getting is the Pioneer VSX 1021:

http://reviews.cnet.com/av-receivers...in;contentBody

As a newbie, I don't know if the 120 watt output will be too much for the satellites.

Is this a risky move, is it flat out going to blow the speakers, or am I crazy for even asking?

Please advise.

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
My guess it you will be ok. But it's a better idea to go get some 8 ohm speakers meant for use with a receiver. Parts Express sells some really cheap Dayton speakers.

Also, the Pro Media system may use some special hookups as it's a whole system. And it's sub may not be trivial to hookup to a receiver. I have no owned one, so I can't say, but wasn't it meant as a computer speaker set?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, all of the speakers ran using standard speaker wire into the sub. The sub then ran to the sound card. The satellites have simple poitive negative slots in the back for speaker wire. What might the consequences be for running an 8 OHM receiver to the 4 OHM speakers? If it could ruin them, I would probably just select a different receiver, unless of course that would conflict with any typical sub I buy to go with my system.

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
I would guess at reasonable volumes they will work. Your receiver may have problems with 4 ohm loads, but you can probably just try it out.

·
Registered
17,554 Posts
Speakers are not generally blown by too much power, but by distortion .. you will be fine if you are not too agressive with volume ..

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
Some people suggest having at least 1 1/2 times the amp power as the speakers' average power handling.

I suggest with speakers like this, you don't try to reproduce the sound levels of your normal rock concert. They are not built for that, IMO.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts