AVS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Found someone selling the following for $400.

Stewart Systems Filmscreen Firehawk SST
Screen Size: W 90.25" x H 52.25"

Is this a good deal? Will this work well with a Sony 295es?

Will be a room with light control but still want to watch with some light for things like sports.

·
Registered
13,032 Posts
It’s a good deal. I had a fire hawk once. I don’t like gray screens and probably won’t get one again.

·
Registered
13,032 Posts
Gray reduces light output. Gray means the whitest that white can get is.....not white, but gray. It also makes color calibration more complicated.

Basically, gray compromises the picture so the only reason I would consider it is in a room with ambient light problems.....in which case I would probably just choose a flat panel instead.

But take this opinion with a grain of salt: I like it COMPLETELY black in the room when I watch a movie, not even a LCD panel readout on a display is visible.

·
Registered
13,032 Posts
It is worth asking the manufacturers for screen samples. That way you can see them in your room with you projector and your eyes.

People like Stewart and Seymour will send you samples for free.

Bargain brands like Elite and Silver Ticket will charge you a small fee for shipping.

The Firehawk is not a bad screen and if you are going to use some lights in the room it might be an okay compromise.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts