AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I am currently setting up a surround sound for my living room. I am using my Onkyo tx-sr604 as the av receiver, and right now have Polk T15 speakers that will be the surround speakers. I purchased a Polk New Monitor 25c center speaker from Newegg, but am concerned if the receiver will not be able to deliver enough power. I have been reading that having speakers with more power than the receiver can output can damage the speakers.

I am currently looking for front speakers. I have my eyes on the Polk New Monitor 35B, or 45B. Do you think this setup will be fine, or should I downgrade to the Polk 15C center speaker. I am going to run 14 gauge wire and use banana plugs on the ends. My room size is about 9x15.

·
Registered
5,380 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by krt919  /t/1468556/will-this-setup-cause-damage-to-equipment#post_23211152

Hello,

I am currently setting up a surround sound for my living room. I am using my Onkyo tx-sr604 as the av receiver, and right now have Polk T15 speakers that will be the surround speakers. I purchased a Polk New Monitor 25c center speaker from Newegg, but am concerned if the receiver will not be able to deliver enough power. I have been reading that having speakers with more power than the receiver can output can damage the speakers.

I am currently looking for front speakers. I have my eyes on the Polk New Monitor 35B, or 45B. Do you think this setup will be fine, or should I downgrade to the Polk 15C center speaker. I am going to run 14 gauge wire and use banana plugs on the ends. My room size is about 9x15.

You'll be fine, unless you like to listen at ear-bleed inducing levels.

An underpowered amplifier will generate clipping distortion if asked to do too much. When this happens, you'll likely fry your speakers -- no matter how high their recommended maximum power-handling is.

But you're not in that situation. You're talking about a receiver that puts out an average amount of power for a consumer unit, and speakers of average sensitivity. In other words, the speakers and AVR are in the same class, and designed to work together. If you had a very large room, you could have issues, but you don't.

Use the Audyssey system on your Onkyo to set up your room and calibrate your speakers to reference level. Use the reference scale on the receiver for volume readout (+/- dB rather than 0-100), and keep the volume setting below reference (0db). And you'll be fine.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your input! I do want to mention that last week I was watching Apollo 13 on HBO, and when they were taking off, there were some points where I was hearing some clicks/pops during loud scenes. I had the volume set to 55-60 on the receiver. The speakers were set to 80hz, and I had them set to +5db on the receiver. I haven't done much listening since then due to busy schedule, but would that be from the cable signal?

·
Banned
15,491 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by krt919  /t/1468556/will-this-setup-cause-damage-to-equipment#post_23211152

I have been reading that having speakers with more power than the receiver can output can damage the speakers.
That's just plain silly. Will you also damage them if you don't play the receiver at full volume?
Quote:
I was watching Apollo 13 on HBO, and when they were taking off, there were some points where I was hearing some clicks/pops during loud scenes.
That could indicate that your receiver or your speakers or both aren't capable of going that loud without running out of headroom. The cure is simple, don't play them that loud.

·
Banned
14,420 Posts

Quote:

Hello,

Just another audiophile myth.

Reality is that excess power damages speakers. There are many ways to obtain excess power, one of which is to have a huge amplifier and play it loud enough that the speakers show audible signs of strain even though the amp isn't clipping. Another approach is to use a smaller amplifier and crank it up past the point where it sounds bad because it is clipping.

The common thread is indiscriminately turning up the volume.

If you have an accident with a volume control or a loose cable with a small amp, the speaker will probably survive if you catch the problem quickly enough.

Have the same accident with a huge amp, and the speaker will probably be damaged almost instantly.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey guys thanks for your input! So I should be ok if I keep the 25C for my center. I don't plan on jamming up the speaker volume and keeping the volume at a moderate level. I am going to run wire to all of the speakers once I buy some front speakers. I am still on the fence between the new monitor 45b's or the 35b's. I was on the fence about returning the 25C center speaker for the 15C. I don't mean to repeat myself, but I just want to make sure this investment will work out in the long run until i upgrade one day.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.