AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi.

I just ordered a 3D 1080p 50" Samsung Plasma for my bedroom.

Now i need to make a HTPC for it.

I have an old PC i want to use:

Dell Optiplex 775

C2Q Q9300 2.5Ghz

4GB DDr2 ram

120GB OS disk

I then will buy a ASUS Radeon HD 5450 1 GB DDR PCIe (It needs to be single slot and not to long to fit in the case)

And a Imon remote with internal eye so i can turn it on and off.

Windows 7 64Bit

MyMovies 3.18

TMT5

Catalyst driver 10.10

Hardon Kardon AVR3000 5.1 (No TrueHD and MasterAudio support)

Samsung 50" 3D Plasma-TV PS50C685

So will this setup play Bluray 3D movies?

Also the onbord audiocard is a crappy stereo one so i need to get something with Optical out.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak1 /forum/post/19547484

Hi.

I just ordered a 3D 1080p 50" Samsung Plasma for my bedroom.

Now i need to make a HTPC for it.

I have an old PC i want to use:

Dell Optiplex 775

C2Q Q9300 2.5Ghz

4GB DDr2 ram

120GB OS disk

I then will buy a ASUS Radeon HD 5450 1 GB DDR PCIe (It needs to be single slot and not to long to fit in the case)

And a Imon remote with internal eye so i can turn it on and off.

Windows 7 64Bit

MyMovies 3.18

TMT5

Catalyst driver 10.10

Hardon Kardon AVR3000 5.1 (No TrueHD and MasterAudio support)

Samsung 50" 3D Plasma-TV PS50C685

So will this setup play Bluray 3D movies?

Also the onbord audiocard is a crappy stereo one so i need to get something with Optical out.

From what I have been reading (the experts can chime in as well), I don't think the HD5450 card will cut it for 3D BR...

You stand better chances getting an NVIDIA GTX460 card, which is known to do 3D BR very well and bitstream HD audio at the same time.

There is a truck-load of information available here:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1240499

I ordered a GTX460 yesterday and will soon be putting my HD5770 out for sale.

I'm done with ATI for good...

I got my HD5770 barely 3 months ago and I'm badly disappointed that I will need to upgrade to HD6XXXX for native 3D blu-ray support via third party app / driver, while NVIDIA provides the support natively with their drivers...

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I thought Nvidia would only play with there own 3d glasses and compatible 120hz screens. But maybe i' wrong?

Also the 460 cards i can see are all dual slot and the Dell only have 1 slot and it on top of that it cant be too long do to the cpu cooler.

Looks like i might need to build something else. I also have en asus and a c2d extreme i can use.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Then this will be the setup i will be using instead.

Asus P5E WS PRO

Core 2 Extreme QX9650 3.0Ghz/12M/1333/05B

4GB ram Kingston KVR800D2N5

ASUS GTX460 DirectCU, 1 GB DDR5 PCIe *

Optical sound will come from MB

Chieftec HM-01B HTPC Sort (With remote)*

Windows 7 64Bit

MyMovies 3.18

TMT5

Only the Case and the Nvidia card will be bought the rest i have. Will this work? Or should i switch the CPU with the Quadcore from the other build instead?

·
Premium Member
16,132 Posts
Unless you play games, GeForce GT 430 (such as EVGA 01G-P3-1430-LR) is enough. (Is this a workstation system?)

·
Premium Member
16,132 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by walford /forum/post/19549294

since the player can not use more then two cores concurently.

Which player are you talking about? TMT5? Haven't you ever tried a quad-core processor with TMT or at least read an article like this ?

·
Registered
16,749 Posts
You are correct TMT5 will use more then two cores on 4 core system when using software decoding.

As your link points out however, for 3D Blu-ray decoding 240 or 4xx Nvidia cards which support hardware 3D decoding will greatly reduce CPU load so I still suggest a higher speed 2 core rather then a slower per core speec 4 core CPU. Unless the OP has other multi threading apps so that the non multithreading apps will run faster.

·
Premium Member
16,132 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by walford
I still suggest a higher speed 2 core rather then a slower per core speec 4 core CPU. Unless the OP has other multi threading apps so that the non multithreading apps will run faster.
You are talking as if the majority of applications that run on a normal HTPC is not multi-threaded, but in general this is wrong. Every player I tried is multi-threaded. If TMT supports 2D 1080p to 3D conversion without AMD APP/NVIDIA CUDA (PowerDVD 10 Mark II is such a player), you will definitely want a quad-core processor.

What non-multithreaded applications in a normal HTPC are you keeping in mind? Please list a couple of them.

QX9650 3.0GHz is one of the fastest among all LGA775 processors anyway.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It will only be used for playing DVD/Bluray 2D+3D and recorded HDTV programs.

So is the Dualcore or the Quadcore the best? As pointed out the Dualcore is faster and has 12mb cache.

·
Premium Member
16,132 Posts
You can safely ignore walford's post. Apparently he has no hands-on experience with TMT/PowerDVD 3D or video playback in general in PC. I advised him to stay away from areas where he has no experience, but he still wants to spread misinformation...

Which dual-core processor are you going to use? Playing BR 3D (as well as 2D) is easy for a dual-core processor if you use a GeForce 240/4xx card (as GPU decodes MPEG-4 MVC; among them only 430/450/460 supports HD audio bitstreaming, however). If you want 2D HD video to 3D conversion in PC (TMT5 does not support it yet?; PowerDVD 10 supports it), you'd better use a quad-core processor or a dual-core processor with HyperThreading (i.e. Core i3/i5 Clarkdale). Even with Core 2 Duo E8400, CPU usage is 70-90% in 2D 1080p to 3D conversion, too high for perfect smooth playback.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I guess it would be nice to try 3D conversion if TMT5 get this later. If any of my processors will support it.

My 2 options are:

C0re 2 Quad Q9300 2.5Ghz

Core 2 Extreme QX9650 3.0Ghz/12M/1333/05B

·
Premium Member
16,132 Posts
Q9300 is a perfect choice (

·
Registered
39 Posts
Renethx,

Your note:
Quote:
If you want 2D HD video to 3D conversion in PC (TMT5 does not support it yet?; PowerDVD 10 supports it),

It will convert 2D DVD files, are you specifically noting that it can't convert HD files to 3D? What about a 2D Blue Ray, which is HD, right? I want to buy either TMT5 or PowerDVD10 before the weekend is out given the Black Friday deals, so I'm trying to quickly determine what the differences are.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
16,132 Posts
I just read this advertisement and haven't tested myself:

Quote:
Sim3D™

3D simulation with our latest in-house technology, Sim3D™, which allows viewing of 2D photo slideshows and DVD movies in 3D. Provide true 3D depth restoration, an algorithm based on scene and motion change, and adjustable depth perception. You may even switch between 2D and 3D in real time.

There is no mention of "HD"? PowerDVD 10 surely supports 2D HD to 3D conversion.

·
Premium Member
16,132 Posts
OK I tested TMT5. It supports 2D to 3D conversion of 2D MKVs (ripped from 2D BD). CPU usage of Athon II X4 3.0GHz is ~40% (more or less the same with PowerDVD 10). But it does not support 2D to 3D conversion of 2D BD movies: "Sim3D doesn't work for 2D Blu-ray movies. They will play in 2D" as seen in this picture . Neither does PowerDVD 10.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by renethx /forum/post/19553167

OK I tested TMT5. It supports 2D to 3D conversion of 2D MKVs (ripped from 2D BD). CPU usage of Athon II X4 3.0GHz is ~40% (more or less the same with PowerDVD 10). But it does not support 2D to 3D conversion of 2D BD movies: "Sim3D doesn't work for 2D Blu-ray movies. They will play in 2D" as seen in this picture . Neither PowerDVD 10 does.

I will be doing the BR 2D conversion to 3D on the TV...

I saw a demo of the 2D - 3D BR conversion today on a Samsung UE46C8700 (looks like the model is European only) and it was quite awesome...

Ok, the conversion doesn't match up in quality to the real 3D BR, but it was quite impressive.

The TV also supports side by side and top-down 3D...

I ordered one ten minutes later....

I'm going to spend the whole of next weekend swapping out my HD5770 for a GTX 460, replacing my pioneer 1018ah-k with a pioneer vsx-32, and replacing my Sony LCD TV with the Samsung full 3D LED TV that I ordered earlier today...

Wifey can't wait after seeing all the demos from today...

·
Registered
16,749 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by renethx /forum/post/19553062

I just read this advertisement and haven't tested myself:

There is no mention of "HD"? PowerDVD 10 surely supports 2D HD to 3D conversion.

PowerDVD 10 Ultra with the [MarkII] update from this past summer plays 3D BR disks and has as 2D to 3D conversion function.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.