AVS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have B&W 800 series with HTMS Center and rears. I am trying to match the best components with these speakers. My room is acoustically treated as I know that is a must. I ahve equipment but upgrading some areas.

I have been thinking and would really appreciate some feedback on this setup:

1) Onkyo PR-Sc5508- Onkyo's new preamp receiver- can handle pandora, etc..

2) McIntosh MC303-Multi-Channel Amplifiers;300 Watts x 3-Channel for the fronts and center.

3) I have the NAD T 975 Seven Channel Power Amplifier already- use this for my back speakers.

4) I have an SVS PB Ultra 13 subwoofer

HOW DOES THAT SETUP FOR SOUND WITH THOSE B&W'S?? WOULD I GETA GREAT SOUND FROM THAT? WILL ALL THAT WORK TOGETHER WITHOUT FRYING MY SYSTEMS?? Thanks for the advice!!!

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I may look at something more like 200 Watts per channel for the three fronts. Those McIntosh's are crazy expensive! Any suggestions to amke of the above? Any suggestions for soemthing different than the McIntosh's?

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
Works for me.

Curious, why do you think room treatments are a "must"? They are with B&W's, the off axis response of first order XO speaker at the first reflection point should be absorbed. A lot of people go overboard with treatments, though. Did you measure the before treatment and after?

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
I would be remiss not mentioning Bryston. Surely they are not news to you, not exactly bargain price.
http://www.bryston.com/

No, I haven't heard the W4S or the Odyssey amps. I have heard Bryston. What I am doing is throwing you some useful info on popular B&W pairings I have come across.

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
Dax - take your time. Just use your NAD to power everything until you are ready to move.

I can't speak to which pre/pros will support Pandora; or what all your options are there. It seems important to you so explore that one and understand all of your options there first.

There are many less expensive and great amp options to the Macintosh (which are great, but pricey - but hey, if they are what you want).

Have you measured your room response? Is it good all across? Making sure the pre/pro has XT32 may be important.

Also, consider spending less on electronics and getting a second sub for more consistent bass in the whole room.

Again - take your time; that NAD will tide you over for a while.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Can I use a NAD T975 AMP with any preamp? Could I use it with the Onkyo preamp and be fine? Are there any compatability issues? I don't want to fry my speakers!! I need to buy a new preamp but the NAD AMP still works great.

·
Registered
3,575 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by daxhughes /forum/post/20770402

Can I use a NAD T975 AMP with any preamp? Could I use it with the Onkyo preamp and be fine? Are there any compatability issues? I don't want to fry my speakers!! I need to buy a new preamp but the NAD AMP still works great.

The only reason for a new amp is because you want to have more than 140w per channel available. Having 250w for each of the fronts would be nice but not necessary (just provide more headroom for peaks).

How loud do you listen? If very loud then you may want more power for the fronts sooner than later (to avoid clipping).

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Not extremely loud. I have always ahd the sense that my B&W's were not sounding as crisp as they could. My preamp was the NAD T175 and the NAD AMP T975. I felt a little disappointed. I wonder if it was more the preamp?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.